android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa e200 > Sansa e200 Hacks & Mods

Old 07-24-2008, 01:29 AM

I was able to do it, it worked great!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-29-2008, 11:11 AM

i don't really like the smooth wheel so i put the spring back.
i just like this "lil monsta" feeling xD

Old 08-15-2008, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by front on View Post
Cheers this worked great!!!
First thing ppl complain about is the wheel clicking or feeling grindyyish LOL
I lost the little spring thing ahahaha it flew out when i removed it, its in the carpet somewhere lost forever. oh well

i did all the steps, and i removed the metal alps gear cover, and the plastic contact part popped up real high along with the metal cover. I popped out the spring by accident and lost it.. oh well. and i re-assembled everything. uh-oh, i got some dust and smudges under the screen.. oh well power it up baby yeah.

wow.. its smooth..... scroll-scroll----*crack*--scroll-scroll-tension building----*crack/grind*.. oh man.

yeah, i have the scroll wheel without the 3 bumps all around it. my scroll wheel is a consistent grooved rubberized wheel... so mabey this might be the model made in taiwaan instead of korea or china therfore missing a spacer to prevent the crack and grind. idk, all that matters is that this will always be sitting in my sansa dock playing through my sterio instead of with my earbuds. I am gonna get an iPod after i had manic scroll wheel issues where it always scrolls up for 1 minute no matter which way i turn it, and sometimes the player skipps and laggs, and when i watch a vid clip sometimes the screen fades to white and i have to restart it with the 15 second power button hold.

this was a great player before it petered out on me, and i always stood behind non apple products which i though went for reliability instead of popularity. My mom has an iPod nano 3rd gen, and i like it alot. ill be looking into an iPod classic, touch, or mabey i might want to go totally different and get a microsoft zune 1 gen... wayyyy more bang for you buck. you get 30 gigs for 100 bucks on amazon.

thanks for the post on how to make the wheel smooth though. it worked.. just not as good for me

Old 08-15-2008, 01:02 PM

ok never mind. i took my sansa apart again and took the scroll wheel off. if you have it 90 degrees off, the grooves dont hold the wheel in, and it snaps and grinds around. rotate it 90 degrees and it snaps in and fits better, and problem solved! i cleaned out most of the dust so now my player's in great shape and the wheel is as smooth as ever.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:56 PM

Yeah, I had a huge problem, I took it apart 1 too many times, and I had to remove the ALPS metal piece, GLUE the other two pieces together, and it works ok again.

Old 08-31-2008, 03:36 PM

its not a clickwheel its a scroll wheel

Old 09-06-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigibro0 View Post
its not a clickwheel its a scroll wheel

you know what, you are right.

that is kinda cool how the 1st gen iPod (not nano, im talking about the 1st version of the iPod ever) had a scroll wheel like the sansa. then they made a 2nd gen which looked the exact same, but had the iPod's signature click-wheel.

Old 09-06-2008, 05:29 PM
Rockbox Developer

I'm not sure if it's related to this mod, but my scroll wheel is about to die. I can hardly control what I'm doing, instead the the selection jumps randomly around.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:08 PM

Mine was skipping... even after cleaning it it was bad. I replaced the whole scroll wheel assembly with one from a broken sansa and it works great now.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:38 PM

I tried this and didn't like how the wheel felt without the spring in there. It felt cheap and imprecise. Strangely enough putting the spring back in made the wheel feel more precise.

Old 09-21-2008, 04:06 PM

Kugel: Mine did that too, it turns out underneath the APLS is a gear that has three metal pins on the underside, one of mine broke from over use, I need a replacement now, it had nothing to do with this mod.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:55 AM

i just tried this mod and the wheel feels "smooth" just like it said. step 7 was difficult to understand. It's actually a spring.

Old 09-28-2008, 03:42 PM

Yeah, just did this mod a few minutes ago, for some reason it kind of clicks faintly when I turn it. Any solutions? I am trying to figure out what krazukuul did cause I think I have the same problem.

Last edited by Traceur; 09-28-2008 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Misspelled a word

Old 11-03-2008, 11:21 PM

Hmm, This is all fine, and everything, but my wheel is still stiff, it doesn't click anymore, but it also is about as stiff as it was before!

Could I put some petroleum jelly in there?

I'd like a suggestion if possible.
Thanks!

Old 12-27-2008, 04:50 PM

Nice nice i mean like we role this street fo eva

Old 01-27-2009, 12:56 PM

ok i just killed my wheel somehow. i tried putting the metal string back in but somehow it doesnt work. is there something between the rubber ring and the ALPS thing that makes this work that i could have lost? i dont really see how the wheel worked anyway.... its just laying on the ALPS metal thingy.
crap!...
somebody got an advise? ...

Old 02-10-2009, 07:34 AM

maybe that helps you...

the Wheel consists of:
- the ground plate thats soldered to the main-board (and the tiny spring in it @the red arrow)
- (1) a little black plastic ring with metal spring contacts on its lower side
- (2) the ALPS metal ring
- (3) the scroll wheel
+ (4) the button

Install the little Spring properly @ red arrow, then place (1) on the ground plate. Then install the ALPS ring (has to snap in). Then place the scroll wheel on top of that till it snaps into place (its only connected to the black plastic ring (1))
........that's it.

(sorry for the bad quality of the pix, but i only had my old mobile phone....)

Last edited by Matze169; 02-10-2009 at 07:40 AM.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:21 PM

I hate that damn screw, I clipped it out, it attacked me with a flying manuever, and now it's gone.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:02 AM

For those that have the problem with the scroll wheel freaking out or causing the menus to jump around so you can't navigate this might help while removing the spring described at the opening of this thread. On the picture from Matze169's reply, part #1 has 3 small spring arms on it that if you carefully bend them downward so that they put more pressure on the contacts under them it will stiffen the scrollwheel up a little and make it more precise. This helped save my sansa from the hammer treatment.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:31 PM

Hmm. I've been having problems with my scrollwheel, but as I'm running the early (not ready) development version of the Rockbox port for v2, I'm not sure if it's that. I get the problem in the OF as well as Rockbox though.

Tags
e200, sansa, smooth, wheel