android
Old 08-29-2008, 10:45 AM

Default Problem with Fuze?

I just got my fuze a couple of days ago, and it's awesome. Loving every minute of it, except the lack of file browsing and some other things.

But there is one thing that I've run into that is annoying me. Whenever I connect this player to a portable speaker and crank it to max sound, the player makes this weird clicking noise and hardly any sound is heard.

So I've tried lowering the said volume to about 60% of the max sound and it works fine. Still not loud enough but ok. But what's the problem that I can't crank this up? Is my player defective?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-29-2008, 10:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

you need a more powerful speaker system and crank the volume on the speakers.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:56 AM

Oh really?

Well, I've tried the same thing in my car, except with a cassette adapter combo. And it had the same problem. But then again, my car dosen't have a good sound system.

So it's not defective?

Old 08-29-2008, 04:18 PM

It sounds like you are overdriving the input on the speaker system. Do the speakers expect a line-level input, or were they designed to handle input from a headphone jack?

Devices designed to handle line level input will have a low volume and/or distortion when hooked up to a headphone output. This is probably what you are experiencing with your car. Some newer head units with front-panel line-in are designed to handle both and can compensate for the lower volume from a headphone hookup with an adjustable gain on the line-in.

So to answer your question, the Fuze is probably not defective. If it sounds fine over your headphones then it's probably fine. What you're describing is just the way it is when connecting a headphone out to a line-in.

Currently the only way to get a true line-out on the Fuze is via the Griffin or Sansa docs.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:11 PM

From your description, this sounds to me like a problem with the Fuze, not the speaker system, primarily because clicking seems like a highly non-linear, digital type of thing, and speaker systems are usually linear, or a distorted or clipped linear at worst.

I did try this on my own, btw, and never get a clicking sound in any of the combos I tried (line input to stereo, car, etc). Also, I have had a bunch of different players and a bunch of different speaker systems (good to bad, expensive to cheap), and I've never had this happen.

Anyway, a few questions that might give some clue, but whatever, it'll only be guessing:
1) Does the clicking go along with the music or at a regular time (independent of what's happening with the music)? Does the clicking happen at louder or softer parts of the music, or is it independent?
2) If you turn you speaker volume all the way up and your Fuze volume all the way down, do you still get the clicking?
3) Does the clicking grow in loudness gradually as you turn up the Fuze volume or does it just turn on all at once?
4) If you plug in headphone, but don't put them on your ears, and crank the volume up all the way, does the same thing happen?
5) If you had three splitters and four headphone sets, it would be interesting to see if you plugged all this together, and hence lowered the input impedance, if you would get the same clicking.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom87 View Post
From your description, this sounds to me like a problem with the Fuze, not the speaker system, primarily because clicking seems like a highly non-linear, digital type of thing, and speaker systems are usually linear, or a distorted or clipped linear at worst.

I did try this on my own, btw, and never get a clicking sound in any of the combos I tried (line input to stereo, car, etc). Also, I have had a bunch of different players and a bunch of different speaker systems (good to bad, expensive to cheap), and I've never had this happen.

Anyway, a few questions that might give some clue, but whatever, it'll only be guessing:
1) Does the clicking go along with the music or at a regular time (independent of what's happening with the music)? Does the clicking happen at louder or softer parts of the music, or is it independent?
2) If you turn you speaker volume all the way up and your Fuze volume all the way down, do you still get the clicking?
3) Does the clicking grow in loudness gradually as you turn up the Fuze volume or does it just turn on all at once?
4) If you plug in headphone, but don't put them on your ears, and crank the volume up all the way, does the same thing happen?
5) If you had three splitters and four headphone sets, it would be interesting to see if you plugged all this together, and hence lowered the input impedance, if you would get the same clicking.
The clicking happens as soon as the volume is cranked up on my fuze. But I figured out it was my speakers and my car.

Thanks for the info though.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:15 PM

Do the speakers of your car click when they're playing the radio loudly? Or do you think that the speakers somehow know they're playing music from the Fuze?

Old 08-30-2008, 12:55 PM

Umm, not that I know of.

I never fully cranked it up before, close but not all the way. As far as I know it never did such a thing.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:31 PM

Right, I guess my point is that if the only circumstance under which your car stereo clicks is when playing music from the Fuze, then it's most likely something wrong with the Fuze (or something else that you do that's unique to using the Fuze with the stereo, like the cassette converter that you mention that you use, or turning the volume up high, etc). Fuze enthusiasts are going to want it to be something other than the Fuze, but there is nothing in anything that you've said that objectively indicates it's anything other than the Fuze, and to me, it seems like saying it's your stereo is just wishful thinking.

I'll drop it here and let you decide, but if it were me, I'd try to figure this out soon so I could exchange my Fuze (if it turns out to be the Fuze that's defective) while I still could. If you wait until you get a new car stereo, and it's the Fuze, you'll likely be out of luck.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:25 PM

It's possible the Fuze is the problem, but I'd say it's unlikely unless you experience the same problems through the headphones. If you can't reproduce the problem over the headphones, then I'd say there's nothing wrong with the Fuze's output.

Do you have another device you could try, like a portable CD player? If so, connect it via the headphone output and see if you have the same problem.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinjob View Post
It's possible the Fuze is the problem, but I'd say it's unlikely unless you experience the same problems through the headphones. If you can't reproduce the problem over the headphones, then I'd say there's nothing wrong with the Fuze's output.

Do you have another device you could try, like a portable CD player? If so, connect it via the headphone output and see if you have the same problem.
It does not produce the same problem with regular headphones, just in some speakers I tried (And my car, even then it's about 5 years old now). But one thing I forgot to mention was that, the portable speakers I first tried were quite old.