android
Old 08-12-2007, 04:56 AM

Default ZEN Vision :M audio CD ripping.

Hello,

I have done some reading on MP3 v's WMA and it seems that WMA is better for 192 and below and MP3 is better for 256 and up.

I want to rip my audio cd's direct to the ZEN without having to put them onto my laptop first as there sin't enough room on my laptop to copy them all and also it will obviously half the time taken.

The problem I have is that the supplied software only seems to rip using WMA and I want to backup at 256.

Is there a program that will allow me to do this ???

Or is the difference really not that much ?

Cheers,
RAD

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-12-2007, 05:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Okay. First of all, you cannot rip straight to the player. At some point of time before they can be transferred to the player, files have to be written to the computer's hard drive first, even if they are temp files and it "appears" your songs are going straight to the player. If hard drive space is at such a premium already, then you really need to consider upgrading your hard drive before doing anything else.

I very strongly recommend maintaining a backup of everything you place on your player. Being mechanical devices, hard drives do fail; hard drives in portable devices tend to fail at higher rates than in non-portable devices. You do not want to have your entire music collection stored solely on your player if the player were to get lost, stolen, or damaged.

For ease of syncronizations, this backup can be on your primary computer's drive. If space is at a premium and upgrading your computer's internal drive is not practical, then consider an external drive - either a USB drive, a NAS, a network-accessed drive in another computer - whatever. Just keep readily-accessible backups.

Okay, now that I've gotten that drummed in your head , let me touch on the other issue you brought up. WMA's do indeed sound better than MP3's at lower bitrates, but the improvement is marginal, and almost non-existent if a decent MP3 encoder is used during the ripping stage. LAME is about the best encoder out there, and it's free. Using it, however, is not easy, as it's a command-line encoder. But...

Exact Audio Copy (EAC) is arguably the best CD-ripping utility available, and it, too, is free. It's not easy to set up initially (but there are very well-written guides available that make the setup easy, and once EAC is set up, subsequent use is a snap), but well worth the time -- AND, it uses LAME, so all you have to do is put in your CD, press the button for MP3 ripping, and sit back. In a bit of time, your CD will be ripped, encoded, tagged, placed in a directory structure, and practically gift-wrapped with a pretty pink bow on it - ready to just be dragged onto your player.

Yes, WMA is marginally better, but the toll it takes on your player's battery due to WMA's high processing overhead makes it not worth the slight gain in audio quality. Yes, a library rich with WMA's will cut your battery time nearly in half.

If you use the LAME/EAC combination I described above, and follow the HydrogenAudio guide for setting it all up (a link is in the EAC website), your rips will be encoded using LAME's --vbr-new -v2 encoding settings - producing variable bitrate MP3's averaging 192kbs but sounding every bit as good as 320kbps CBR files. WMA can't touch this.

Old 08-12-2007, 06:45 AM

Thanks, that's exaclty what I nneded to know.

I'll go and download it and give it a bash.

One other question, I'm going on hols soon with my better half so I won't be buying an extra drive just yet. What I'm going to do is rip say about 50 cd's at a time and then sync them to the ZEN, once I've done this I will delete them and start again (it's gonna take a while as I've got loads. lol), once I have them all on the ZEN and I get an external drive will I be able to sync them back off of the ZEN to the external HDD ??

Once again thanks for the info

Old 08-12-2007, 08:07 AM

Dont delete the old files after you transfer them to the zen, it is not perfect!

You can manually transfer them off the zen onto a hard drive, but its slow to do so. USB -> USB device transfers always take longer than USB -> computer -> USB.

Also, know that the zen is a bit odd if you transfer files off, dont do more than about 100 songs in a go.

Old 08-12-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klumsy bot View Post
Dont delete the old files after you transfer them to the zen, it is not perfect!

You can manually transfer them off the zen onto a hard drive, but its slow to do so. USB -> USB device transfers always take longer than USB -> computer -> USB.

Also, know that the zen is a bit odd if you transfer files off, dont do more than about 100 songs in a go.
ive done more than that and nothing happened to mine
Black EP-630's
Creative iTrigue L3500 (fabulous sounding speakers)

Old 08-30-2008, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAD_ABZ View Post
I have done some reading on MP3 v's WMA and it seems that WMA is better for 192 and below and MP3 is better for 256 and up.
WMA imho, is not a good choice at any bitrate. It results in larger file sizes and noticeable quality problems with some music.

I'd recommend following the guide at uberstandard.org to rip your cds to mp3, then transferring to ZEN.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello bishop8000. Welcome to ABI. However helpful your post may be, please keep in mind the dates of the posts within the thread before reviving them in the future. Thank you.

Zen FAQ