android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen

Old 09-02-2008, 01:26 AM

Default "Migrating" from 2G iPod Nano to Creative Zen 16GB

Ouch...

That is the word that best describes the process I've been going through recently. I bought the iPod to have the best in integration options (car, boat, submarine, etc.) and accessories and thoroughly have enjoyed it. Even with it being an Apple product. My 2G Nano has been rock solid, and has held up to drops and other small things quite well.

My problem is this. I'd REALLY like to mirror the track and the playlists I have on my Nano, and I understand it may take some time to do so. But, Creative's PC software sucks balls. I thought iTunes was bad until I actually learned how to use it, but I was expecting Creative's software to have improved from when I had my Zen Jukebox 20GB, or my Zen Micro 5GB!

I know when it comes to some (most) of my iTunes I'll have to deal with, but what I'm looking for is maybe a better program to ASSIST with configuring playlists and loading music.

PLEASE, HELP ME!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-02-2008, 03:47 AM

Why not check out MediaMonkey or Winamp.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 09-02-2008, 05:15 AM

While MediaMonkey does work WONDERFULLY (I DL'ed to try), it doesn't recognize protected files or "prevent" them from being put on the player. I've been fussing around with the Zen with my spare time over the past four days, and I have YET to get even FOUR playlists loaded like what is on my iPod.

I've researched how to break the DRM, which is the BIGGEST hurdle. The next one will be to go through the 8GB or so of protected music so I can get it set to play on the Zen. I really like the Zen, but with all of the time I've invested into it already, I'm not too happy with it.

I'm tempted to just stop where I am in the process, keep my 2G Nano for a while longer, and see if in September Apple releases a 16GB Nano...

Old 09-02-2008, 05:41 AM

To remove drm, you can always rip a cd and re-rip the music or try freeware like FairUse4WM.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:14 AM

I don't know if I remember it right or not, but I don't know if FairUse4WM is compatible with the latest version of iTunes, that and isn't it for protected WMA file formats?

I've been using "ToonCabb" so far with pretty good luck. I just wish their was a FASTER DRM removal utility so I can "free" all of my music from iTunes. Once I'm done with iTunes, I plan on using other legitimate sources for my music, video and 'casts.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1000X View Post
I don't know if I remember it right or not, but I don't know if FairUse4WM is compatible with the latest version of iTunes, that and isn't it for protected WMA file formats?

I've been using "ToonCabb" so far with pretty good luck. I just wish their was a FASTER DRM removal utility so I can "free" all of my music from iTunes. Once I'm done with iTunes, I plan on using other legitimate sources for my music, video and 'casts.
I was only throwing out a suggestion, sounds like you know better, I've never had to use it, as I rip all my own CD's and don't buy drm'd music.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:52 PM

One "source" I use to try to get cheap CDs is yard sales, and estate sales. I look for CDs that are $3 or LESS (usually $1) for them. I've found several good CDs doing that.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
But, Creative's PC software sucks balls.
Oh hell..... Thanks for the good laugh. That is the quote of the day fo me.

Quote:
but what I'm looking for is maybe a better program to ASSIST with configuring playlists and loading music.
WMP11 is actually pretty good as well. You may want to check it out too.

Zen FAQ

Old 09-02-2008, 11:37 PM

Once I'm done using SoundTaxi (for DRM), I plan on it. I may also use MediaMonkey, as it is a very robust program even in its "free" form. I had used it a couple of years ago and it sure has evolved since then.

I've never been a fan of Windows Media, though, but I'm willing to use it as there are more options available for content (i.e. sources for music/video) then just with iTunes.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:23 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Mediamonkey is pretty popular. However, I haven't used it hardly at all. I have used WMP11 and I do like it as far as media managers go. It sure has come a long way. Good luck with what ever you decide to use.

Zen FAQ