android
Old 09-03-2008, 03:58 PM

Talking 3 ?'s...How do ya & why does it?

I cant find an answer for this so Ive come to you all...

1. Lets say Im playing a tune & want it to just stop. How do I/can I do that without shutting down the player or starting something else in its place?

2. Twice now Ive awakened from sleep & Ive seen the ZEN screen flash on for a few seconds & then shut down again.
Before bed I shut it down & leave it lying on my dresser with my wallet, key, etc.
It happens quickly but it does happen ( how often I dont know!? ) & I just go back to sleep. There dosent seem to be any battery discharge either.

3. And lastly, when I plug in a jack for headphones or cassette/radio connect into the player while its off there seems to be a electrical current present. Is this normal? Should I be putting the off switch into lock mode after Ive shut down the player?

Wots...uh, the deal?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-03-2008, 04:34 PM

1. You can usually just press play/pause, but if you are in the videos menu for example it will play the video, so I have the shortcut button set to go to now playing, so I can stop it from there.

2. ??? I've never seen this happen to mine. People have posted that their screen flashes sometimes when they unplug their headphones, maybe it is related to that.

3. I've also noticed this. I suspect it could be "listening" for a remote or providing power for a remote, but I don't know for sure.

Old 09-03-2008, 04:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

i can almost feel what is coming next...

"I know about pause, I want to 'stop'!!"

If that was the next thing to be posted...continue reading...if not, then look away.

I am copying this from the last time I saw this question posted...which was coincidentally copied from the time before that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by me (i'm now quoting three generations of threads!)
as quoted from the last time some one mentioned the "stop" button...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumx4182 "pause button aficionado"
ok guys...here we go again...

Digital players do not require a stop button. Analogue players (cassette players for example) required a stop button because for them, there was a fundamental difference between stop and pause...when you paused the player, the head was still resting against the magnetic tape that the audio was recorded on to. Thus, there was additional stress and wear and tear on the tape if you allowed it to sit on pause for a long while. The stop button removed the head from the tape altogether. For digital players, music is encoded into 1's and 0's in a digital stream of information that is translated into audio. The pause button stops this stream of information and remembers where the stream left off. But since there is no "tape and head", there is no adverse effect on the system as there was with analogue players. Thus, there is no difference between "stop" and "pause". It's just semantics really...if you want to stop and start a new task...just start a new task, it's not that hard... A song is playing, rather than stopping it and selecting a new one...go to the menu, select a new song, and play it. The first one will cease playing and the second one will begin. There's either signal or no signal. It doesn't matter if your stopping it, pausing it, or blowing it up...

Old 09-03-2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumx4182 View Post
i can almost feel what is coming next...

"I know about pause, I want to 'stop'!!"

If that was the next thing to be posted...continue reading...if not, then look away.

I am copying this from the last time I saw this question posted...which was coincidentally copied from the time before that...
Terrific explanation to ? 1! Thanks!!!

? 3 was expained as to the what may be happening but what about the "How to" make it stop. Can this be done?

Does placing the power switch in the 'LOCK' position when shut down have any sort of effect on the player?

Old 09-03-2008, 06:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungo View Post
Terrific explanation to ? 1! Thanks!!!

? 3 was expained as to the what may be happening but what about the "How to" make it stop. Can this be done?

Does placing the power switch in the 'LOCK' position when shut down have any sort of effect on the player?
great, i'm glad I could help and you may be the first OP to respond kindly to it! haha.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:22 AM

You can stop the song you're playing: Pause the current song and then press the 'backwards/left' key.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woembah View Post
You can stop the song you're playing: Pause the current song and then press the 'backwards/left' key.
::makes the 'over your head' gesture::

Old 09-04-2008, 08:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello bungo.

Quote:
3. And lastly, when I plug in a jack for headphones or cassette/radio connect into the player while its off there seems to be a electrical current present. Is this normal? Should I be putting the off switch into lock mode after Ive shut down the player?
From the Zen FAQ:

Quote:
When the Zen is off and I plug in my headphones, the screen flashes all white for a split second and the blue power indicator light, lights up. Why does the Zen do this?

Here is the thought behind this: A capacitor, perhaps within the output of the power amp is discharging. The Zen only seems to do this for a period of time after the Zen is turned off. After a period of time (after turning off the Zen), before plugging in the headphones, the screen doesn't seem to do this. Most likely due to the power finally discharging slowly on its own. Also, once the headphones are plugged in and the screen flashes white, the Zen doesn't seem to flash white again afterwards.

I also believe that your number 2 question is related to a similar cause like question/issue number 3.

Zen FAQ

Old 09-06-2008, 08:08 AM

Talking

Thanks for all the explanations.

Im not quite so paranoid that Creative is somehow doing some secret thing in the middle of the night & that was the reason my lil' player was secretly waking up & silently sending personal info about me to Creative headquarters.
But I suppose only M$'s Bill G. is still doing that, huh!?

No one has remarked on it & I havent noticed anything, so I take it that putting the on/off switch into the lock position after powering off has no effect at all...

Old 09-06-2008, 09:49 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Thanks for all the explanations.
No problem.

Quote:
But I suppose only M$'s Bill G. is still doing that, huh!?
And the millions of spyware deveolpers/companies that run within their OS.

Quote:
No one has remarked on it & I havent noticed anything, so I take it that putting the on/off switch into the lock position after powering off has no effect at all...
Not sure. You're the first I've heard comment on doing that.

Zen FAQ

Old 09-06-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungo View Post
Nope, no effect.

Old 09-06-2008, 04:19 PM

I had heard that #2 happened when the player went from the 'stand by' "off", to the real "off". sorry don't know if there are technical names for those states

My Zen Vision:M, Zen 4 GB, and my Zen Microphoto all do this.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by werezenwolf View Post
I had heard that #2 happened when the player went from the 'stand by' "off", to the real "off". sorry don't know if there are technical names for those states

My Zen Vision:M, Zen 4 GB, and my Zen Microphoto all do this.
Yeah, that would make a little sense, but that wouldn't explain why it would do this repeatedly which many have noted. The Zen appears to do this for the duration of being in stand-by mode and eventually stops flashing when it does finally turn off.

Zen FAQ