android
Old 09-02-2008, 04:44 AM

Default no firmware and not recognised

My vision m doesn't have any firmware on it ( don't ask why?) and my computer doesn't recognise it now. Is it dead and now a paper weight or is there some way around this?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-02-2008, 09:27 AM

Have you tried the recovery mode? I'm sure you have but asking is better...

Old 09-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello markm. Welcome to ABI. How does your computer detect and list the ZVM in Device Manager if you boot the ZVM into Recovery Mode and connect it to the computer? Does the computer give you any audible alert or visual notification like a pop-up balloon?

Zen FAQ

Old 09-03-2008, 07:37 PM

nothing is showing in device manager. I have tried recovery mode etc but my player is not recognised. So how do I get the firmware onto my player if the computer does not recognise it.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, assuming you have no other issue besides just missing firmware on the ZVM, by either getting your computer to recognize it or using another computer that does.

Start with the hardware. Try using different USB ports, a different USB cable, a different sync adapter (dongle) if you have access to one, and/or another computer.

What Operating System and version of WMP is installed on the computer?

Zen FAQ

Old 09-04-2008, 04:52 AM

I have tried a different USB cable - still not detected by my computer and I have tried on my laptop (vista) and it doesn't get detected there either. My computer is running XP SP3 and WMP11.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Since the problem seems to be following the ZVM (with a different cable and on different computers), I would question either the ZVM itself or the sync adapter as the cause of the problem.

Zen FAQ

Old 09-06-2008, 09:31 AM

OK - I have a yellow exclamation mark in my other devices. So I m assuming that my USB and sync adapter are working. Now what? Please be bare with me as I am a bit of novice when it comes to this type of thing

Old 09-07-2008, 04:20 PM

The yellow exclamation mark means that the device isn't working properly or its driver isn't installed properly so uninstall it (just right click on the device name next to the exclamation mark and select 'uninstall driver') then click on the magnifying glass icon at the top of the window to make the system recognize new devices. Hopefully, this could solve your problem but this isn't certain: it's possible that you've to manually delete some .inf files from the \windows\inf directory but let's go step by step... Obviously, this procedure only applies to a software (driver, the second scenario I speak of at the very beginning of this message) problem, not to an hardware related (your ZVM being faulty, the first scenario) issue. When you can, please let me know if my advice has helped. Have a good day!

Last edited by GuybrushThreepwood; 09-07-2008 at 04:26 PM.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I have a yellow exclamation mark in my other devices. So I m assuming that my USB and sync adapter are working.
Not nescessarily, but double click on the entry for the ZVM in Device manager to see what the reason (device status) is for the conflict.

Zen FAQ

Old 09-11-2008, 04:08 PM

I uninstalled the driver and then searched for new device and the exclamation mark etc came back. When I clicked on automatically install software, with the installation CD in my D drive, I got this message and another one saying that the install wizard can not find the necessary software???

This device is not configured correctly. (Code 1)

To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.

What do I do now?

Old 09-11-2008, 08:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You should not have to manually load the driver if MTP is properly installed. The OS should find it automatically. You really won't need to worry about inserting the CD for a driver because MTP uses it's own driver, so there is no need for a manufacture driver from Creative. Since you mention you already have WMP11, make sure you do not have any of the Creative software installed and at reinstall WMP11. Vista natively support MTP devices like the ZVM, so no added software is needed; just plug-in and it should be recognized with no problem. Since you mentioned it isn't on the Vista system, how is Device Manager reporting the driver?

Zen FAQ

Old 09-12-2008, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm View Post
I uninstalled the driver and then searched for new device and the exclamation mark etc came back. When I clicked on automatically install software, with the installation CD in my D drive, I got this message and another one saying that the install wizard can not find the necessary software???

This device is not configured correctly. (Code 1)

To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.

What do I do now?
As said by BobbyRS, you don't need to insert any cd: Windows (either XP) should install the required drivers by itself. It isn't definitively a driver installation issue: it could be a resource conflict (you have to look at the resources tab in the driver properties to see if there is a conflict with some other device) or a problem with your usb ports (you could try to uninstall all the drivers under "Controller USB (Universal Serial Bus)" and automatically reinstall them exactly as you've just done with the MTP driver.