android
Old 08-09-2008, 12:52 PM

Default Does the pilot support SDHC?

Im having some trouble with my 8gb sd card when in the pilot. When its about 1/2 full all the videos etc that are on the 2nd half (over the 4gb mark) on the card do not play, say they are not supported or are just ignored.

Is there a certain way I need to format the sd card in windows to make it work correctly? My insignia sees the card as a 8gb but I am having all sort of weird things happen once it starts to ger full. If I leave it under 5gb of space or so it works fine.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-09-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klumze View Post
Im having some trouble with my 8gb sd card when in the pilot. When its about 1/2 full all the videos etc that are on the 2nd half (over the 4gb mark) on the card do not play, say they are not supported or are just ignored.

Is there a certain way I need to format the sd card in windows to make it work correctly? My insignia sees the card as a 8gb but I am having all sort of weird things happen once it starts to ger full. If I leave it under 5gb of space or so it works fine.
Yes it certainly does. In fact it even says 'SDHC' on the memory card slot cover. Sounds like you may either have a faulty card or it's become corrupted. I take it you have already tried reformatting?

Old 08-09-2008, 01:24 PM

I have "erased" the card using the insignia players tool but I have not formatted it in windows.

When I format it what file allocation size do you use? 4kb, 16kb, 32kb or 64kb? I was unsure what one works for my player.

Old 08-09-2008, 05:05 PM

I have a 8 gig SDHC card in mine & it's full & the player has no problem seeing all files. Could it be that you have more files than the 2000 limit? I've never formatted my card either. Just popped it in & filled it up.

Old 08-10-2008, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tst4eko View Post
I have a 8 gig SDHC card in mine & it's full & the player has no problem seeing all files. Could it be that you have more files than the 2000 limit? I've never formatted my card either. Just popped it in & filled it up.
I might have 200 files total, including music on it. Most of the video files are 100+mb as they are episodes of futurama, ventur bros etc. All at least 15-20 mins a piece so Im well under the 2k limit. I formatted the card just now and im going to fill it up and see what happends.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:29 PM

DO NOT use resident formatting program. Go here and use this...
http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...formatter.html

Old 09-15-2008, 10:45 PM

16GB SDHC works fine

Old 09-16-2008, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covertrussian View Post
16GB SDHC works fine
I just got mine from eBay for $20...ran it through benchmarks and error checks. 10MB/s read equivalent to class "9" It has a JD/QCD hologram on the back and sorta looks like a San-card but with a red bar on the top w/o the San logo and their light blue thingy underneath. One caveat...those eBay SDHC cards that mention SAMSUNG is BS Samsung soesn't make SDHC cards...yet...they offered to buy SanDisk this week). They claim 160X but my benchmark only showed 66X at 9GB/s...still not shabby

Everything I have is backed-up so I'm not overly concerned about the data being lost.

24 Gigs is a lot of music...I don't see how i-heads really need more than this....but I WILL get the 32 GB card just to make it an even 40...lol

Last edited by Conchchowder; 09-16-2008 at 01:09 AM.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:34 AM

I dunno I wouldn't trust eBay with flash memory...

I bought my stuff of NewEgg.com
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820208410

It had the best reviews for the speed and quality at the time.

If you want to go cheaper you can go with this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820211245

Dunno about the quality though. I personally will keep away from A-Data flash memory if I can. I had a flash drive which was slower then windows 95...

Old 09-16-2008, 10:09 AM

Yeah...but I weighed cost/application/performance and figured that I'm not using it for archival purposes or data collection (recording audio, video, or for photography) and figured it was less than a few gallons of gas.

16 GB is around 4000 songs, right? Remember, back in the day, we (the audiophiles) would buy metal particle/exotic formulation casette tapes at $5 a pop that would hold 30min/side for 60min of music? That is 4000 x 3min average song for 12,000 minutes or 200, 60 minute high-quality audio tapes (even with ho-hum s/n ratios, wow, flutter, distortion, and spotty noise reduction capability) my digital card carrying FLAC and WMA Lossless beats the crap out of my audiophile-quality cassettes.

Ok...now the total I would have to spend on those cassettes with poor (compared to digital) quality would be $1000 at $5/cassette for 200 tapes to hold the 4000 songs I store on my el-cheapo flash card. EVEN at Win 95 speed (I can load/sync files as I sleep) the cost benefit ($20 vs $1000) EVEN with inflation is a no-brainer to me...now if I were going out to buy a 32 GB card NOW at $175...I would seek out the best...but I wont..I'll wait 'till the price drops to around $40 or so.

I truly understand your point but it's $20, not $200

Old 09-16-2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conchchowder View Post
Yeah...but I weighed cost/application/performance and figured that I'm not using it for archival purposes or data collection (recording audio, video, or for photography) and figured it was less than a few gallons of gas.

16 GB is around 4000 songs, right? Remember, back in the day, we (the audiophiles) would buy metal particle/exotic formulation casette tapes at $5 a pop that would hold 30min/side for 60min of music? That is 4000 x 3min average song for 12,000 minutes or 200, 60 minute high-quality audio tapes (even with ho-hum s/n ratios, wow, flutter, distortion, and spotty noise reduction capability) my digital card carrying FLAC and WMA Lossless beats the crap out of my audiophile-quality cassettes.

Ok...now the total I would have to spend on those cassettes with poor (compared to digital) quality would be $1000 at $5/cassette for 200 tapes to hold the 4000 songs I store on my el-cheapo flash card. EVEN at Win 95 speed (I can load/sync files as I sleep) the cost benefit ($20 vs $1000) EVEN with inflation is a no-brainer to me...now if I were going out to buy a 32 GB card NOW at $175...I would seek out the best...but I wont..I'll wait 'till the price drops to around $40 or so.

I truly understand your point but it's $20, not $200
Dang you must be an accountant

Yeah I understand if it would be $20 shipped. It looks like most of them $24 + $9 shipping...

Plus the pilot doesn't support more then 3K songs with the card