android
Old 09-16-2008, 11:18 PM

Default Motorola AC Chargers

Is there a chance using a 5V, 200mA Motorola AC charger can compromise the charging circuit in the Pilot?

Have had this charger for a month or so and my battery's capacity has dropped sharply. Quite possibly a coincidence, but I am a bit suspicious. My Pilot is 10 months old and most of the time was charged off a USB port on my computer, or the car charger that supplied 5V, 500mA. I rarely let the battery fall to 50% capacity before recharging.

Are there Motorola chargers that supply 500mA? Had not been able to find one and finally picked up the one supplying 200mA.

Dana

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-17-2008, 12:21 AM

The spec on the Insignia users guide says 500mA. I wouldn't use 200.

http://www.wirelesshut.com/306665/11805898.html

Use Google...Google is your friend...I used "ac usb output adapter 500mA" and found it in 30 seconds...have a credit card and it comes to you as if by magic!

Last edited by Conchchowder; 09-17-2008 at 12:28 AM.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conchchowder View Post
The spec on the Insignia users guide says 500mA. I wouldn't use 200.

http://www.wirelesshut.com/306665/11805898.html

Use Google...Google is your friend...I used "ac usb output adapter 500mA" and found it in 30 seconds...have a credit card and it comes to you as if by magic!
Google "can" be your friend. My search was too specific... Insignia, rechargeable, battery.

The charger at the link doesn't do 5 volts, just 4.5. I think the mA are more important.

Dana

Old 09-17-2008, 01:59 PM

I don't know if it is hurting my Pilot. I have been using a Motorola charger at home, a Blackberry charger at work, and some sort of generic charger in the car. I just looked at the Blackberry charger (currently plugged into the Pilot) and it is rated as 700 ma.

Again, I've been doing it for a year now. No issues. YMMV.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamccart View Post
I don't know if it is hurting my Pilot. I have been using a Motorola charger at home, a Blackberry charger at work, and some sort of generic charger in the car. I just looked at the Blackberry charger (currently plugged into the Pilot) and it is rated as 700 ma.

Again, I've been doing it for a year now. No issues. YMMV.
I use my iPaq charger in the car and it is rated 700mA.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:19 PM

My bad. Rechecked my ac charger, and it can supply 650mA, not 200mA as I thought. So if the charger is working properly I cannot blame it for the battery degradation. Li-ion's can be temperamental. In this case I misread the label on the charger, input was 200mA, not output.

I will say I have had a malfunctioning charger for a power drill and it ruined two batteriies before I figured out what was going on.

Dana