android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Insignia > Insignia NS-DV

Old 06-27-2007, 11:45 PM
Insignia Moderator

Default Increasing the amount of encoding options in the media converter

A little-known secret about the NS-DV is it's capable of handling a far wider range of audio/video bitrates and framerates than the Arcsoft converter lets you select. But I've modified the default Arcsoft profile to give you access to a much wider range of bitrates (nothing special, it's just a text file). I've also added a couple more sample rates. You can now choose 11KHz and 24KHz, if for some reason you want to.

To install my patched file, simply download this program and launch it.

Note: I don't recommend going above 40 FPS with MPEG4 videos, because it slows the NS-DV down too much. Also, you probably don't want to choose 5Mbps for MPEG4, as it may causes the NS-DV to become somewhat unresponsive; same goes for 2Mbps WMV. Then why include those framerates/bitrates you ask? Why not?

Enjoy!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-28-2007, 01:26 AM

Before I download or install this - could you explain why I might want to try these other encodings? What is the purpose? Are they faster or slower to do conversions with Arcsoft than the standard one? Also, do they take up more or less room on the product? I feel sort of stupid for asking - but I would rather see if it is something I want or need first.
THANK YOU so much for your hard work. And if this is too newbie sounding for you to answer (or simply a pain in the butt for you to answer), I completely understand. Again - thanks for doing such cool stuff for us - you rock!

Old 06-28-2007, 02:27 AM
Insignia Moderator

No, this is a good question actually. And thank you!

The installer simply replaces the original "Insignia Player.apr" file with my edited version. What this does is add several more options to the various drop down menus in the "edit" screen (click the pencil button).

You might want the extra options if video or audio quality isn't that important to you and you wish to create smaller files than the default settings would have allowed. Or perhaps you want a bit more quality... But I'll admit on such a small screen you probably won't notice much of a difference above 1Mbps. But, I figured since the NS-DV supports it, I'll add it.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:48 PM

That answers my questions - thank Tobey!

Old 07-20-2007, 03:10 AM

Default Tobey please help

I am trying to add video files to my insignia ns-dv4g player via Arcsoft media converter.....put it does not recognize the mp3 player

Thanks,
Smokelegend420***********

P.S. I noticed that under the directory for arcsoft media converter under profiles the insignia ns-dv4g .arp file is not there, it has other listed but not my device.....any way I can d/l the .arp file for the insignia ns-dv4g or make one myself...any ideas thanks!!!!

Old 07-20-2007, 03:23 AM
Insignia Moderator

Well, you can always manually drag and drop the movies onto your player. If the converter can't find your player, it should put the movies into a folder in "My Documents".

If for some reason your Insignia.apr file is missing, running my installer (above) should put a new one in there for you.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:06 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Very cool, Tobey. You are an Insignia Video phenom! I gave your review a read yesterday, and was impressed by your thorough, balanced insights. Good stuff.

Old 07-21-2007, 03:50 PM

Default Umm Please help

Here's my question, I have installed my program files on to a different disk then the C:\ProgramFiles\etc.... Can you configure the patch to install to E:\ProgramFiles\etc......instead of C:\.....?????

Thanks for the help

Smokelegend420***********

Old 07-21-2007, 06:04 PM
Insignia Moderator

Smokelegend, I set it to ask for the location now. Just change "C:" to "E:".

Old 07-21-2007, 10:32 PM

same thing with me, i set it to the proper folder, still comes up with error.

Old 07-22-2007, 12:22 AM
Insignia Moderator

That's because it's trying to launch the converter from the usual C: location. The patch was still installed though, so just ignore it.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:07 AM

I want to experiment with a few different sizes for .avi conversions. With the default settings a 175 MB file goes down to 101 MB in the player post conversion and the quality is pretty amazing. This is with a 512 video bitrate, 128 audio, 29.97 video and 44.1 audio. I don't want to waste time converting things over and over only to have them be awful quality. My original files tend to be tv rips - 175MB for half hour shows and 350MB for hourlongs sans commercials.
I want to save a few default profiles. What kind of setups have other people tried with a negligible difference in quality? Is it about changing the audio and video bitrate/sample rates or the fps etc...? Can you post a few tweaks that some of you like here? Thanks!

Old 09-17-2007, 02:01 PM

Sorry for digging this up. I actually have a Pilot and am experimenting with the different video and audio formats.

I know there is a Pilot forum, and I have been posting there, but I think I'm the only one there that owns one.

Right now I'm using SUPER to convert to 320x240 using mencoder and the DivX option (but I think it really uses the XviD ISO MPEG-4 codec because that's what GSpot says) at 5xxkbps. I know that to work, but otherwise I'm just shooting in the dark as far as combinations go.

Tobey, could you maybe post the list of formats/combinations you know to work on the NS-DV over in my Supported Formats thread in the Pilot forum so we could get crackin' over there? The patch doesn't do me any good because I'm not using Arcsoft.

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:49 PM

could we get another download site for this?

Old 07-08-2008, 08:14 PM

i just tried it (the download that is) and it worked fine

Old 07-09-2008, 02:55 AM
Insignia Moderator

Yeah, I'm slowly re-uploading my files to an Amazon s3 account.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:49 PM

I didn't get anything that was mentioned but is there any way of get the converter to remove or convert the video files without the black bars.