android
Old 09-17-2008, 03:12 PM

Help Car adapter charging problems

Up until recently I was able to charge the Zen:M w/ the car charger via the adapter and usd cable. All of a sudden it no longer works... Any idea why? It charges fine via the computer or the wall charger.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-17-2008, 04:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Since it works fine with USB and AC charging, are you sure that the car charger and/or the adapter aren't the problem?

Zen FAQ

Old 09-17-2008, 04:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raver View Post
Up until recently I was able to charge the Zen:M w/ the car charger via the adapter and usd cable. All of a sudden it no longer works... Any idea why? It charges fine via the computer or the wall charger.
All the car chargers I've ever owned have a fuse inside not worth replacing unless you paid more than $10.00 for it. If you have the owners manual for it it should tell you how to get to it.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:45 PM

The led light still lights up, so either the fuse is fine or there isn't one. The cig lighter still works on other devices. I've checked two cig plug adapters for this neither work.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Have you checked for bent or broken pins? Can you open (it's usually the tip that screws off)to see the fuse & change it if you have another one that fits still may fix it. Won't know if you don't try.

Old 09-18-2008, 01:51 PM

Niether adapter allows me to open it, both have led lights that work so it's not a fuse.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Have you checked for bent or broken pins? I would buy a new one if it's important to have .

Old 09-18-2008, 03:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I believe I would still try a different car charger or use a multimeter to test the charger. I've seen plenty before that indicated they were powered on, but didn't work/charge properly. You have verified that the charging works on the ZVM by charging via USB or AC adapter so the ZVM seems to be just fine.

Zen FAQ

Old 09-19-2008, 12:50 PM

I'll check another car adapter. Does anyone know if the USB connections on some of the car audio decks will charge the Zen? If so I'll just use that as I'm planning to upgrade the stock deck anyway.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raver View Post
I'll check another car adapter. Does anyone know if the USB connections on some of the car audio decks will charge the Zen? If so I'll just use that as I'm planning to upgrade the stock deck anyway.

Yeah they can. However, keep in mind that most car stereos are made to work with MSC devices and not MTP devices like the ZVM. There are a few new stereos out (see here) that are stating MTP support, but if you do not get one of them, you can create a Removable Drive partition to copy your music files too which should play just fine in the USB port (that's not an MTP supported stereo). The bad part is that you can't control or access the playback of files from the ZVM.

Zen FAQ

Old 09-22-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Yeah they can. However, keep in mind that most car stereos are made to work with MSC devices and not MTP devices like the ZVM. There are a few new stereos out (see here) that are stating MTP support, but if you do not get one of them, you can create a Removable Drive partition to copy your music files too which should play just fine in the USB port (that's not an MTP supported stereo). The bad part is that you can't control or access the playback of files from the ZVM.
Well I hadn't thought about that, I was going to plug it into the rear using rca's, but a single USB connection would be sweet! I'm trying to decide to go 1-Din or 2-Din for a head unit. MY GMC Sierra truck has such a wide opening that I'm wondering if a 1-Din headunit will look odd.

Eitherway a USB hookup that charges is just what I needed. Purchased another car charger and still can't get the Zen to charge...

I found this HU from Alpine http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...model=iDA-X200 that will work w/ the Zen. I assume the USB is in the rear? Only issue is that it doesn't have a CD slot only radio or media player or cd changer which is a bummer.

Last edited by Raver; 09-22-2008 at 02:37 PM.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Purchased another car charger and still can't get the Zen to charge...
Are you sure what ever you are plugging the charger into (cigarette lighter socket?) is working? I would still break out the multimeter and trace the power. Start with the socket. Make sure it is putting out 12v. Then test the charger. If the charger is converting and outputting the correct voltage (5v) for the ZVM, then maybe try another working USB cable.

Zen FAQ