android
Old 10-05-2008, 03:29 PM

Unhappy Hard drive's dead? or Board's dead?

can anyone tell me the symptoms of both of them?

I have problems with my ZVM.
Actually it couldn't work.Every time I turn it on, it can play for a while but stop and not responding after, and the restart button didn't help.
I have tried to format it, reload the firmware, but still it couldn't work.
Last time when I turn on it, I realize it was really dead, with a "black screen" on it.
I'm not sure if the problem is dealing with the hard drive or any thing else.
If it is just the problem with the hard drive, I can buy a new one and replace the old one. But I just can't afford to risk, I'm just a high school student and i don't have much money to spend.......

So......can any one tell me the difference between a dead board and a dead hard drive?

I really want my ZVM back

Thanks a million

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-05-2008, 04:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccles View Post
So......can any one tell me the difference between a dead board and a dead hard drive?

I really want my ZVM back

Thanks a million
I've only had a board problem, that was with a Creative Zen Touch, and really it wasn't the board just the controls plug in lost 2 out of 16 pins and that resulted in no controls for the player. Before I found that problem the player would play songs then halfway through switch to a different song and that pretty much meant the Hdd was on it's way out. I looked at replacing it and it would have cost me more than going out and just buying a new player. If it's going to cost you more than $100 you may as well buy a Zen/X-fi or go here and buy a refurb http://us.creative.com/products/prod...?product=15469 Check here for info on replacing harddrives http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...splay.php?f=96 But my guess is with a new battery your looking at well over $100

Last edited by no9; 10-05-2008 at 05:04 PM.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I have tried to format it, reload the firmware, but still it couldn't work.
The format and reloading of the firmware didn't work or they didn't correct your problem?

Quote:
Last time when I turn on it, I realize it was really dead, with a "black screen" on it.
I'm not sure if the problem is dealing with the hard drive or any thing else.
That sounds as though it didn't even power on; possible power/battery issue maybe.....

Zen FAQ

Old 10-09-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
The format and reloading of the firmware didn't work or they didn't correct your problem?

the reloading and format works, but it didn't help to solve the problem

That sounds as though it didn't even power on; possible power/battery issue maybe.....
i don't think that the problem comes from the battery since my ZVM can still on, it just can't work properly.

a few day ago, i tried to turn it on again(i've had leave it for weeks). To a miracle, it works and i can play music for more than half and hour.

But I know that the problem is still there......

Old 10-11-2008, 11:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm still a little confused as to what the problem is exactly..... Does the screen stay blank when all of the lights are on? What do you mean a Format or Firmware Reload doesn't work? Any problems or errors during the process of reinstalling the firmware or formatting? When you press the reset button, does the ZVM shut off like it is supposed too? When it works, it just freezes and can no longer responds to anything? Just trying to get a better idea.....

Zen FAQ

Old 10-11-2008, 12:29 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Does the hard drive sound like the click of death? If it does this is a tell tale sign it's time for a replacement.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
I'm still a little confused as to what the problem is exactly..... Does the screen stay blank when all of the lights are on? What do you mean a Format or Firmware Reload doesn't work? Any problems or errors during the process of reinstalling the firmware or formatting? When you press the reset button, does the ZVM shut off like it is supposed too? When it works, it just freezes and can no longer responds to anything? Just trying to get a better idea.....
When I turn it on, it plays for a while, and then the music stopped, and then no response (including the switch). I have to use the reset button(ZVM restarts like it is supposed to) and go into the recovery mode to turn the ZVM off by the switch (the switch works in the recovery mode).

I've tried to format it for serveral times, sometimes it fails at around 8x%.
And no failure in reloading firmware.
The Format and Firmware Reload work sometimes. But after that, the problems are still there, they don't help solving the problem.

I can still connect the ZVM with my computer properly. (not even fail once up till now)

Sorry for misleading, coz my english isn't very good

Old 10-12-2008, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
Does the hard drive sound like the click of death? If it does this is a tell tale sign it's time for a replacement.

Yes, I heard this kind of sound when formatting, but not in playing music.

Also, I don't know if the harddisk is the only problem, and I want to know if there are any more.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
When I turn it on, it plays for a while, and then the music stopped, and then no response (including the switch). I have to use the reset button(ZVM restarts like it is supposed to) and go into the recovery mode to turn the ZVM off by the switch (the switch works in the recovery mode).

I've tried to format it for serveral times, sometimes it fails at around 8x%.
And no failure in reloading firmware.
The Format and Firmware Reload work sometimes. But after that, the problems are still there, they don't help solving the problem.

I can still connect the ZVM with my computer properly. (not even fail once up till now)

Sorry for misleading, coz my english isn't very good
Ok, the more you describe the problems, the more it does sound like a possible hard drive beginning to fail. There is always a chance the mainboard could be the problem or contributing, but since Recovery Mode works and the ZVM seems to work for the most part up until a point of a freeze, the hard drive is normally the main cause for this.

Zen FAQ