android
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-13-2008, 12:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashoki View Post
but I watch a ton of anime and alot of what I grab are MKVs in H.264
Yeah, that seems to be about the only time I have come across MKV files. MKV as a container has much support for additional material like mentioned above. In addition to its popularity with anime rips, it seems to be picking up steam with HD rips like from Blu-Ray because of the additional content provided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToJa92 View Post
From what I can gather, MKV is a pretty hard format to support, since it can contain so much, from menus and chapters, to subtitles and different camera angles. Mostly computers support it, and not so many network media players. That could be a reason why it's not very well supported.
It isn't really that it is hard to support as a container. Due to MKV's openness, it will depend on what is used within the MKV container that could be new and challenging to support. You can still have an MKV file that contains MPEG-2 for video and MP3 for audio; not really any different than a typical AVI file. MKV's ability to use compression like H.264, AC3, DTS (and more) is where many portable devices will run into trouble with being able to handle. I think the Cowan A3 fully supports MKV.

Zen FAQ