android
Old 10-15-2008, 09:51 PM

Default ZVM life expectancy =/

i have been using my zvm 30gb for a while now and i always hear(read) that ppl's players are constantly dying, though i havent yet encountered any trouble how long do u think the zvm would last.

i have owned the player since november or december 2003 (so about 5 and some years)
wht about you guys

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-15-2008, 10:43 PM

First off welcome to the machine jimi jimi jimi. Correct me if I'm wrong but the vision m came out dec 05'. I got my 30g in june of 06' only because the 60g wasn't out yet. I got my 60g may of 07'. Both players are still running strong. My 30g has over 2,000 hrs on it and my 60g has more like 3,000. I also never had any problems with either of them. As long as you don't drop them they should last at least into the second battery.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:47 AM

I've had my player for only a year and a half now, and It's still going strong

It has played many many many hours of video, and has not yet failed once

(Small note: Don't leave keys in your pocket with the vulnerable valuable USB connection pins of the player. The PC doesn't recognise broken and missing pins :P )
Or this: A glossary for newbies
-Stuart, Twitter

Old 10-16-2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeys View Post
I've had my player for only a year and a half now, and It's still going strong

It has played many many many hours of video, and has not yet failed once

(Small note: Don't leave keys in your pocket with the vulnerable valuable USB connection pins of the player. The PC doesn't recognise broken and missing pins :P )
Ouch! Sounds like you know from experience

Old 10-16-2008, 09:55 AM

thnks for the welcome =) was it 05 dec becoz it seems like i got it quite a while back, i mean its still running good and all, except this one time when i accidentally placed it infront of the exhaust fan of my laptop (extremely hot) then it flashed a white blank screen for kike 1 second, maybe it wasnt real coz i wasnt paying attention only saw it out the corner of my eye, but turned it on it was ok =) lets hope that keeps going

Old 10-16-2008, 12:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about the problem if you aren't experiencing it for now. Just always make sure your data is backed-up for precautions and take good care of the device. Keep in mind that most people post because they are having problems or need assistance somehow. So, it will always look like there is more negative feedback regarding the player than good.

Zen FAQ

Old 10-16-2008, 02:04 PM

well i guess i shouldnt worry, but just as a benchmark how long do pmps usually last, <10 years is my guess, im glad i didnt get an ipod video over the zvm as many of my frnds ipod vid and nano 1st gen has a problem with their buttons

Old 10-19-2008, 08:52 AM

Well I've had my ZVM for 14 months and I think it's going to last a while. No signs of any glitches ever. I've got the wired remote on it and generally don't mess with the controls on the device itself. That should keep the buttons and slider from wearing out. The ZVM is my in-car jukebox and spends most of the time in its silicone case under the seat.
Maybe I should pick up a second battery while they're still for sale, just in case.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
The ZVM is my in-car jukebox and spends most of the time in its silicone case under the seat.
Keep in mind that the ZVM uses a hard drive, so being in a car bouncing and vibrating may take some toll.

Quote:
Maybe I should pick up a second battery while they're still for sale, just in case.
I would hold off on buying a spare battery until you are ready to use it. Lithium-ion batteries like to be used and charged more so than sitting around not being used. They age from the date of being manufactured, whether they are used or not.

Zen FAQ

Old 10-19-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimi_jimi_jimi View Post
i have been using my zvm 30gb for a while now and i always hear(read) that ppl's players are constantly dying, though i havent yet encountered any trouble how long do u think the zvm would last.

i have owned the player since november or december 2003 (so about 5 and some years)
wht about you guys
as long as the environment(temperature) its in doesn't get to severe it should be fine, and how its used if it isnt bouncing around alot or being dropped that will also make it longer, Mine died a few weeks ago, but i used it alot, i had it on every day since i got it (freshman year in highschool, now a senior) but, living in colorado makes tempuratures hard cause it gets cold, and hot. its really annoying and i'd only dropped it twice

Old 10-20-2008, 12:10 AM

talking about shaking the hardrive lol i went jogging with it a few times and it seemed ok, btw i didnt know back then, i thought that these were some kinda super smash proof hardrive so yea... now i noe better :P also do u think the moisture in the air would lower its lifespan?

Old 10-20-2008, 03:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimi_jimi_jimi View Post
also do u think the moisture in the air would lower its lifespan?
Maybe, maybe not. Not as much as physical shock damage or mechanical failure. Hard drives usually have internal air filters to remove most particles before they can cause damage. They also usually have an air vent to help with equalizing the air.

Zen FAQ

Old 10-22-2008, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Keep in mind that the ZVM uses a hard drive, so being in a car bouncing and vibrating may take some toll.
Yeah I should probably cushion it more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
I would hold off on buying a spare battery until you are ready to use it. Lithium-ion batteries like to be used and charged more so than sitting around not being used. They age from the date of being manufactured, whether they are used or not.
Hmm. Just a bit nervous I won't be able to find one when I get around to needing one.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
Hmm. Just a bit nervous I won't be able to find one when I get around to needing one.
I think they will be around for some time. The ZVM is still real popular. Even if you buy one now, it will still age and may go bad before you even get to using it depending on its manufacture date.

Zen FAQ