android
Old 10-17-2008, 03:04 PM

Help Large MP3 files spontaneously restarting...

Hi all,

Recently aqquired a FUSE 8 gig, and love it so far. It's amazing how small these things get and still pack so much into them.

Anyway, I use it 99.9% of the time listening to audiobooks. MP3 files ripped from CD's. I use MP3 joiner Pro to put everything into one huge file so that I can drop it into the 'audiobook' folder and the FUSE will automatically bookmark it for me in-between listens.

What I've found is that occasionally, after about the first 5-10 minutes of listening, the file will stop playing, and the screen shows that it is paused. If I 'unpause' it, it starts at the beginning of the file instead of picking up where it was. At first, I thought I had somehow hit the pause button, but it has happened too often and at times when there was no chance I had hit the wheel. Maybe once or twice, this has happened at about 1/3 of the way through the file. (we are talking about 17 HOUR or more long files here.)

I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this.

When I get a chance, I'll contact Sandisk about it, but thought I'd ask here in the meantime.

Regards,
Don

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-21-2008, 12:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The designers of firmware for these devices often make assumptions that they don't document, such as perhaps assume that all files are under 10 hours(?) in length. Unpredictable things might happen with very long files. These things should be documented though. So should limits on the number of files or number of albums.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
The designers of firmware for these devices often make assumptions that they don't document, such as perhaps assume that all files are under 10 hours(?) in length. Unpredictable things might happen with very long files. These things should be documented though. So should limits on the number of files or number of albums.
JK98,

Thanks for the insight. I hadn't thought of that, and you're probably on the right track. Having written many programs myself over the years, I can concur that there are always undocumented 'features' in a program that the developer just 'never thought anyone would do that'

I have taken the long files and split them again into 5-10 minute pieces. Seems to have solved the 'problem'. I will take this up with Sandisk when I get a chance to see what they have to say.