android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen V

Old 10-26-2008, 04:39 AM

Default Can't charge Zen V 2G with Creative mains charger

I've searched the forum for this, and found a lot of people with the opposite problem, but not this way round.

I can charge the Zen V from my PC (which has the crappy Creative Media Explorer software installed), but not from another PC which doesn't - from reading other messages, it appears that Creative requires the driver loaded to charge - is this correct?

My main problem is that I have a Creative mains charger, and I can't charge the device from that either - it works, in Europe, using the 2-pin european style mains connector, but doesn't work in the UK, with the UK 3-pin connector. There is definitely power coming through the plug, as the yellow light on the charger lights up.

Anyone else had this problem, or even better, know how to fix it?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-26-2008, 10:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Welcome khismet. The Zen V is an MTP device. If you are using an MTP compatible Operating System like Vista or WinXP with WMP11 (or WMP10) installed, you will not need any additional Creative software installed for it to be recognized and have it's driver load. In WinXP, MTP is installed when WMP11 (or WMP10 is installed.

Quote:
I can charge the Zen V from my PC (which has the crappy Creative Media Explorer software installed), but not from another PC which doesn't - from reading other messages, it appears that Creative requires the driver loaded to charge - is this correct?
Yes, in order to get full charging current, the driver for the Zen will need to be loaded without error. Most likely the other computer doesn't have MTP installed to correctly have its driver installed properly.

Quote:
but doesn't work in the UK, with the UK 3-pin connector.
Are you sure the connector/adapter isn't the problem?

Zen FAQ

Old 10-27-2008, 02:54 AM

Thanks for that - the 'other pc' probably doesn't have WMP11 on, so I'll fix that.

The adaptor could well be the problem, though if so it's a weird one - there's obviously power getting from the 3-pin adaptor into the power supply block, because it lights up - but no juice seems to be making it to the Zen. The PS block does at least partly work, because it works with the European plug adaptor.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:07 AM
Ultra Senior Member

No problem.

Yeah, it looks as though the AC adapter itself is fine since you say it works with the European plug. This is why I question the UK plug.

Zen FAQ