android
Old 10-21-2008, 08:22 AM

Default Vision:M 30gb - Battery related to recognition?

This is going to repeat a lot of what I've read (and not read) so I appreciate your patience.

My Vision:M is at least two years old and my main machine is a Toshiba laptop XP auto-updated with SP3. Everything's been working well. I really enjoy this device and if you told me there's no hope for it, I'd go out and buy a new one. That's how much I like it.

Order of weirdness:
Two weeks ago - plugged Zen into laptop and the Creative Media Explorer popped up as usual but said I needed to connect the Zen. Thought it strange, shut everything down and restarted, no problems.
Three days ago - After plugging in, Explorer still pops up but the lack of recognition is now a permanent issue. I started reading all the forums I could find with many theories addressing mine. I haven't seen my own personal theory that Metallica is corrupting their files and killing players.
Here's the meat of the weirdness: Simultaneous to the lack of recognition from Explorer, the unit went into Rebuilding mode. As I huffed and puffed and sweat gathered on my forehead, I turned the whole thing off a third of the way through the rebuilding. That may have been panicky-stupid because after it left that mode it appears I have one third of my over 5000 songs. Even more strange is I think they're still in there because the system area says I'm one gig shy of using all my 30 (exactly where I'd left it before the trouble).

So I read threads here and elsewhere and have tried the Clean-Up and the Reboot (don't want to reformat yet because over 5000 songs would be quite a loss). It's worth noting that I'm on firmware 1.40.02 when I know the current one is around 1.62.02. And believe me, I'd upgrade if the computer would fully recognize the Zen.

I have two other computers at work that have given me the same lack of recognition. One is a Vista laptop. The other is a PC running XP-SP3.

I think my major difference from other posters is that my battery indicator appears normal and the unit is functioning normal despite reporting I have two-thirds less songs. No screen problems, no battery indicator problems, just a lack of recognition.

So the question is if the battery is fooling me and if I'm not updated with the latest firmware do the problems go hand in hand related to this lack of recognition? To get the latest firmware, the laptop has to be able to see the Zen. And it does partially because Media Explorer pops up upon hook-up.

I'll lastly mention that I cleared out and reloaded all my Zen 2005 software, purged all the USB drivers, restarted and had MS do a reinstall of them all.

Did I mention there's a lack of recognition?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-22-2008, 11:29 AM

A couple more things:

The player seems to be going directly into "rebuilding" mode upon starting after being off for many hours.

I don't think the cable is the culprit because my laptop senses the connection. Creative Explorer pops up but says I need to connect.

Any theories on the firmware being too old?

Old 10-22-2008, 09:53 PM

Don't have a lot of ideas on this, but could you try powering your ZVM from a wall adapter while you connect it to the pc? Could help it be recognized. If it is, the firmware should be upgraded.
I had that old firmware version you mentioned and the thing refused to charge from the USB port. Had to go buy a wall adapter and plug it into that while I upgraded firmware. IIRC, my pc recognized it ok once it was powered, so it's not the same as your issue. Still, I'm suspicious of your firmware.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:02 AM

I'll go buy a 5V wall plug and give that a shot.
Thanks for the idea!

Old 10-23-2008, 01:46 PM

No such luck.

Nothing's changed. Played around with the machine at work running XP, rolled back SP3 to SP2, downloaded the recovery tool and new driver installer (essentially the same thing) and it's recognized within the device manager but not by the pieces of software trying to connect to it.

One of those fun Catch-22s in life. Need to upgrade but can't hook-up to upgrade. If I do a "format all" in recovery mode, I'm going to lose every thing, but will it solve the problem?

I'm bleary-eyed and getting tired.

Maybe that post about taking a hammer to the thing is realistic.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:21 PM

The hammer wasn't necessary.
I finally accepted the possibility that a corrupt file within the ZVM was causing the issue. I just needed to say "Good Bye" to all the files with a reformatting and the problem was solved. It was able to be seen by all my machines and the latest firmware downloaded without problems.
I'd love to know what causes corrupt files so that I don't repeat this any time soon (or maybe they just happen on their own?).
Thanks for your interest.

Old 10-25-2008, 02:10 PM

I've had problems in the past with corrupted files on my ZVM:30. I've had to do a full format of my player 3 times in the three years I've had it. It seems to be something similar to a computer whose drive is at capacity: you're going to lose something. I suggest that you look up replacing the drive [see links in this site] with a larger capacity and a larger buffer. The standard drive in your ZVM only has a 2MB cache, any drive that will fit with a 8MB cache or more will be more reliable. Good luck!

Old 10-26-2008, 10:38 AM

Yeah I've never had to work with recovery mode so I'm not much help with that.

Glad to hear you fixed teh thing.

Now you have a wall charger and can recharge it in only an hour.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by droflig View Post
I just needed to say "Good Bye" to all the files with a reformatting and the problem was solved.
Good to hear you have it working again.

Quote:
I'd love to know what causes corrupt files so that I don't repeat this any time soon (or maybe they just happen on their own?).
Doing things like this can do it easily:

Quote:
As I huffed and puffed and sweat gathered on my forehead, I turned the whole thing off a third of the way through the rebuilding. That may have been panicky-stupid because after it left that mode it appears I have one third of my over 5000 songs.
The ZVM's filesystem/database is practicly one in the same. Many times, with a corruption or problem, a Cleanup should resolve the issue. If a Cleanup doesn't resolve the issue, the corruption may be so severe the only way to resolve it is to Format; which will recreate the fileystem/database instead of trying to repair it.

Zen FAQ