android
Old 10-27-2008, 08:02 PM

Default Clean up in Recovery Mode goes over 100%

My Zen froze last night and I had to reset the player. When it started back up it froze during rebuilding. This happened repeatedly. I even left it over night in order to be sure it was indeed freezing and not merely slow. I decided to do a clean up from the Recovery menu and it has been going for a few hours. It says "Scan Disc" and the percentage continues to increase, but it has already reached over 4400 percent? This seems odd. Should I let it keep scanning, or should I reset and try again, or try something else entirely? Any help would be great. Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-28-2008, 04:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Welcome carigrafton. What was it doing when it froze up? These issues sound like either a failing hard drive (one with many bad sectors; this would explain the unrecoverable Cleanups) or a failing mainboard (or both). Since you seem to just be experiencing freezes and not being able to get through a Cleanup or Rebuild, I am favoring the hard drive as the cause. You can try doing a Format and then a Cleanup, however keep in mind that you will lose all files that you have on the ZVM (if they aren't already gone or too corrupt).

Zen FAQ

Old 10-28-2008, 04:48 PM

Default Thank You

After the Clean up went over 5000%, I forced another restart, and for some reason, my player then made it through the rebuilding phase. It seems to be working for now and I updated the firmware to be on the safe side. Hopefully it will keep running.
To answer you question though, it originally froze when I plugged it into my computer. They have been interacting oddly lately, lots of errors when transferring music, but I think the issues are more with the computer than the Zen, but the firmware upgrade may help that as well. We shall see.
Thanks a lot for getting back to me!

Old 10-28-2008, 06:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

No problem. I would take this time to ensure that you have all your files backed-up.

Zen FAQ

Old 10-28-2008, 06:20 PM

I have indeed.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Good to hear! Enjoy the ZVM.....again.

Zen FAQ