android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen Vision:M

Old 09-11-2007, 01:07 PM

Default 120 and 160GB hard drives, compatible with vision:M???

Samsung has released a 120GB hard drive, i don't know how long ago but it's bigger than any other 1.8". There will also be another version coming out which will be 160GB. I was wondering if these would be compatible with the zen, i think they would be but not sure.
http://www.cdwg.com/shop/products/de...px?EDC=1277971
Thats the only place i could find with a price.
search something like samsung SpinPoint N2 on google to get info, thats what i did.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-11-2007, 10:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I don't know about compatibility. There is only so much that the player's firmware will be able to access (the Zen Xtra topped out somewhere between 120-150GB). However, if one can assume that a single 1.8" platter can hold up to 40GB (20GB per side), then anything beyond 80GB will likely be a three-platter drive, which will make the drive too thick to install into most Zens.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:55 AM

nah i looked and it's only 2 platter i think i might of also read it's 8mm which would mean it could fit into the 60GB model or 30GB after a bit of cutting down. I just meant the connecter type, if that is compatible with the Vision:M. By the way do you know where the Vision:M does top out i know 100GB can be done.

Old 09-15-2007, 03:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ3F3Y View Post
By the way do you know where the Vision:M does top out i know 100GB can be done.
Unfortunately, no. Still waiting for someone enterprising (or gutsy) enough to try to test out the filesystem's upper limit.

The ZVM uses either the standard IDE-style connector, or the newer ZIF connector. It depends on when your player was made, but the only way to know for sure is to open yours up and see what kind of connector is on it.

Old 09-16-2007, 05:15 PM

I wonder what drives the new iPods are using. they are 80 and 160.

Last edited by jazzman; 09-16-2007 at 05:17 PM. Reason: size

Old 09-17-2007, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenChick View Post
Unfortunately, no. Still waiting for someone enterprising (or gutsy) enough to try to test out the filesystem's upper limit.

The ZVM uses either the standard IDE-style connector, or the newer ZIF connector. It depends on when your player was made, but the only way to know for sure is to open yours up and see what kind of connector is on it.
I have opened it up and it has a Hitachi Travelstar which as you know means it is the Zif connector. So would these hard drives work? If not i will put in the 100GB Toshiba as i really need more space.
If you go to the link i put above, here to->http://www.cdwg.com/shop/products/de...iew-_-Main+Tab
and go to the specs page it says it is Zif so i assume it would work but is this one somehow different???

And what do you mean gutsy, gutsy like they could waste money or gutsy like the MP3 will die?

Old 09-25-2007, 01:38 PM

Default Please Help

I really need to know about the Samsung SpinPoint N2 hard drives, and the new Toshiba MK1626GCB. I need to know if the Samsung and Toshiba have the right connectors to work with Vision:M. PLEASE HELP i'm going to buy the MK1011GAH cause i know it is compatible but i don't want to do this and then find i could of had 160 or 120GB instead of 100. PLEASE HELP if you can.

I also noticed that on the specs pages the sizes are all the same except the width. The Toshiba is 2.1 in while the Samsung is 2.8 in. Would this mean it could not fit.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
I wonder what drives the new iPods are using. they are 80 and 160.
I know for sure the 80GB version is the toshiba MK8022GAA and i assume the 160GB would be toshiba too as it seems they must have a deal with Toshiba as the early 20 and 40GB ones, all the videos, and now the classic 80GB all have Toshiba's.

Just looked on ebay and there is a hard drive out of an ipod classic and it says it's the new Toshiba.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:05 PM

That's an interesting thought, the amount of space a player can handle is determined on what file system the player uses, and the processor speed, firmware, and ram, but seeing that the vision m was released around the same time as the ipod 5th generation, it probably uses the new standard ata 6/7 ZIF connector but you should open the case and check. According to various instances, the original ipod 5th generation 30gb has been tested with a 120gb spinpoint drive and works, so it's possible that the firmware of the 30gb vision m will work with it as well if it uses fat32 or similiar high capacity file system.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Welcome Ipod Buster. Please take note of the the date of the last post in threads before replying. This thread is over a year old. With that said, please take note of this thread here (as well as this sub-forum) containing information regarding connector types, interfaces, drives, and firmwares used in the ZVM. Thanks!

Oh, the ZVM doesn't use a FAT32 file system. It uses a mixture of minifs for firmware and CFS (creative's proprietary file system) which is similar to Ext2. More here and here.

Zen FAQ