android
Old 11-02-2008, 06:00 AM

Default The old Zen sounds a lot better than the X-Fi

Has anybody else had the chance to compare these two? My old Zen got stolen the other day, and I bought an X-Fi to replace it... Now I'm going to sell that one, and get a 32Gb Zen instead. The X-Fi sounds flat and boring compared to the Zen. It has more treble detail, but none of the punch and drive that made me love the Zen. (With my Portapros and the PX100).

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-02-2008, 08:21 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Although I didn't think the X-Fi sounded any better (including having the X-Fi features on), I didn't think it sounded any worse then the regular Zen either; not counting when the X-Fi features were on because I didn't care for them.

Are you using the same headphones between the two?

Zen FAQ

Old 11-02-2008, 04:57 PM

Are you running the latest firmware (1.04.08)? It seems to have improved the sound quality with X-fi turned on.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:01 PM

Thanks, guys. I might have gotten a bit carried away in my first post. I was just surprised at how different the X-Fi sounds. I still think it's less punchy and dynamic, but it's still a good-sounding player and a great toy. I'm trying to get it set up with Tversity, which is great I actually managed to find a reviewer that rates the Zen sound quality higher, but I lost the link... The name of the site was "Reviews you can trust".

Yeah, I'm using the same phones. I prefered the portapros on the Zen, but I think the PX100 works better on the X-Fi. I don't use the X-Fi feature because I don't like it either. It's just a silly marketing gimmick, if you ask me.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlings View Post
Thanks, guys..... I actually managed to find a reviewer that rates the Zen sound quality higher, but I lost the link... The name of the site was "Reviews you can trust".
No problem. Yeah, I think it all mostly depends on whether you like the X-Fi sound enhancements really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlings View Post
I don't use the X-Fi feature because I don't like it either. It's just a silly marketing gimmick, if you ask me.
I don't think X-Fi in general is a marketing gimmick. However, I do think it is when it comes to the Zen X-Fi and how it was implemented.

Zen FAQ

Old 11-04-2008, 04:23 AM

Personally, I actually like the 'in your head' feeling of normal music, especially with IEMs.
The fact that i felt the x-fi so many redundant (x-fi, chat, wi-fi) was a big turn off for me and influenced me in getting the zen 32gb. Plus it's 50 dollars cheaper (in Australia)

Old 11-04-2008, 07:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Exactly, if you aren't going to use the added features, then there is no need to pay. The difference is cost is not enough to justify the "changes" in sound, if you ask me.

Zen FAQ

Old 11-11-2008, 06:12 AM

Got my new zen yesterday. And the music quality is FANTASTIC. rich and warm. better than my zen micro, surprisingly. I really don't think u need the x-fi with such good and sufficient music quality on the zen...

Old 11-11-2008, 07:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Congrats cisum1027! Good to hear you like your new Zen. Enjoy!

Zen FAQ