android
Old 11-06-2008, 02:22 PM

Unhappy Vision M Not Recognized

Let me state right off the bat that I more than likely caused this problem.

I recently had to replace my motherboard, and plugged in my Vision M to charge it. I heard a little "pop" from the front USB port, and figured I hooked up the connector on the motherboard incorrectly. After switching them around, the player connected, but Vista said the device in the USB port was unrecognized. It will not charge at all from the computer. It WILL charge in my car as I have an adapter.

It will play normally, and I can recharge it in the car, but I cannot get the computer to recognize it.

Here are the things I have already tried:

Different USB ports (unrecognized)
Different computer (unrecognized)
Different USB cable (unrecognized)
Re-setting the player (unrecognized)
Uninstalling and re-installing software (when it gets to the point where it says to plug the player in, Vista says "unrecognized")
Manually trying to install drivers (it thinks the Unknown device drivers are the best drivers)
Swearing profusely (Theraputic)

I have not tried wiping out the player's hard drive, because if I can't get the computer to recognize it, I can't get my music back on it.

If I damaged something by having the USB front panel hooked up wrong when I plugged it in, what did I damage? After all, I can still play it so the player is fine; I can still charge it, so the connecter on the player is fine; I changed cables, so if the original was damaged, the next should have worked.

It is also out of warranty, so that is out of the question.

I really don't want to buy another, so if anyone can save my sanity, it would be appreciated.

Jliger99

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-06-2008, 04:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Welcome Jliger99. It sounds like you may have damaged the USB controller on the mainboard. This could explain why it still charges (only power needed), but doesn't get recognized by an OS due to it no longer being able to communicate through the USB connection. You will most likely need a replacement ZVM mainboard to correct. This is the exact reason why I always recommend not connecting the ZVM to a front USB port on a case due to the possibility of incorrect wiring. I've seen it too many times.

Zen FAQ

Old 11-06-2008, 06:03 PM

Oh, the pain...

Thanks for the advice. I watched the repair video on the Gadget website, and although I'm normally good with fixing things like this (USB ports notwithstanding), it looks a tad daunting.

Thanks again!

Old 11-06-2008, 06:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It may not be as hard as you think. Many have done so with not much issue.

Here is the ABI disassembly guide.
Here is a video of a disassembly.

Zen FAQ

Old 11-07-2008, 10:38 AM

Well, I ordered the board and will try my best when it comes in.

Thanks again for your help!

Old 11-07-2008, 10:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

No problem. Good luck and let me know how it turns out!

Zen FAQ

Old 11-14-2008, 02:28 PM

...and there was much rejoicing! (yay...)

All went relatively smoothly. and my player is up and running! It wasn't too hard to do, except that the @#$%% screws are so ^@#% small, and I had to disassemble/ reassemble in my living room in order to watch the videos, and my rug is gray, and gravity exists, so there were a few tense moments.

However, it is currently charging and my computer can actually communicate with it, so I can't complain too much.

Thanks again for the advice, Bobby, it is much appreciated!

(#$%%^ screws...)

Old 11-14-2008, 02:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Good to hear! I know what you mean about the screws. It can be frustrating. Anyway, no problem and I'm happy to help! Thanks for updating us with your situation. Enjoy!

Zen FAQ