android
Old 11-16-2008, 11:29 AM

Default Synchronizing with FLAC-not possible?

Have I messed up? I have been converting all my cd's to my hard drive using FLAC as my compression software, but now I would like to synch the music to my Zen M, but I don't think it supports FLAC. Will I have to have Media Monkey convert it all back to PCM or OGG/Vorbis or something to do the synch?
Don't have time for this, as I got to do student reports right now, parent conferences, etc, but I would like to bring home some new and interesting music for Thanksgiving.
Thanks for any ideas or thoughts on this project.
P.S. Also using XP Pro, if that might help.
And it is Media Monkey Gold.
Lyndon
Salt Lake City

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-16-2008, 11:51 AM

No Creative player handles FLAC or Vorbis files (and MTP-sync might give issues with those as well, unlike drag'n'drop). You certainly chose the wrong brand of players for open-source codec support.

You don't have to convert them back to uncompressed WAV, but simply to MP3, which the ZVM can handle.

My favorite way of converting FLAC to MP3 is ALL2LAME, a simple frontend for the best MP3 encoder available, LAME. You just put "-v2" (this means good quality/size ratio, most likely no audible difference in quality to your FLAC files) in the commandline/switch bar and you're good to go. You will also have to put FLAC.exe in the same folder as ALL2LAME for the conversion to work.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:09 PM

Thanks, dfkt.
So if I understand your advice, I should download ALL2LAME, and the folder inclusion. I guess I was lured into buying this player by that screen quality. On a side note, for video files, does it support h.264, or mkv? I have not tried it, but I think I've only been successful with Xvid, avi files. Man, I am behind on these grades...and I have to drive a hundred miles soon, doing errands...

Old 11-16-2008, 12:15 PM

Same goes for these video codecs/containers - neither h.264 nor Matroska are supported on the ZVM. However, the AVI/MPEG1/2/4 support of the ZVM is pretty nice, since you don't need to resize/transcode most of your videos.

And yes, you download ALL2LAME, LAME, and FLAC. You unzip the archives and put lame.exe and flac.exe in the same folder as ALL2LAME. You open ALL2LAME and enter "-v2" (without the quotes) in the "Switches" bar. Then you can just drag'n'drop FLAC files or folders onto ALL2LAME and press encode. Easy as pie.