android
Old 06-23-2008, 09:09 AM

Default Freezing when deleting media

My Fuze has just started acting up whenever I ry to delete something with the player it freezes up, I then have to turn it off and back on, then I get the refrshing media bar and all is well, till I try to delete again. Anybody else have this problem?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-23-2008, 12:38 PM

It hasn't happened before? But it jsut started now?

Old 06-23-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3ndetta View Post
It hasn't happened before? But it jsut started now?
Correct I've had for over a month now and this just started.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:44 AM

I've had that problem since day one :-(

I just decided i'd delete the stuff when sync-ing

Old 10-22-2008, 01:45 AM

I just got a new Fuze the other day and see this with podcasts which I delete after listening to. Firmware 15 and MSC mode. Basically it is actually deleting the file, it is just that the firmware is eye wateringly slow at it and doesn't update while the deletion is happening. If you wait long enough things will resume. In my case long enough is about a minute. Amusingly it often has long pauses just entering the yes/no delete confirmation where the wheel has no effect for about 15 seconds.

My best guess at the underlying cause is that the firmware is trying to remove the tag information from the tag database. mp3 tags can be stored at the begining or end of file depending on version etc. Chances are the player is reading the entire file from the begining to end to find all tags. Combine that with the VBR bug (where it slows the cpu on low bitrate frames and then is too slow on a following high bitrate frame) and it all makes for good speculation.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbobie View Post
My Fuze has just started acting up whenever I ry to delete something with the player it freezes up, I then have to turn it off and back on, then I get the refrshing media bar and all is well, till I try to delete again. Anybody else have this problem?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 201d View Post
I've had that problem since day one :-(

I just decided i'd delete the stuff when sync-ing
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbinns View Post
I just got a new Fuze the other day and see this with podcasts which I delete after listening to. Firmware 15 and MSC mode. Basically it is actually deleting the file, it is just that the firmware is eye wateringly slow at it and doesn't update while the deletion is happening. If you wait long enough things will resume. In my case long enough is about a minute. Amusingly it often has long pauses just entering the yes/no delete confirmation where the wheel has no effect for about 15 seconds.

My best guess at the underlying cause is that the firmware is trying to remove the tag information from the tag database. mp3 tags can be stored at the begining or end of file depending on version etc. Chances are the player is reading the entire file from the begining to end to find all tags. Combine that with the VBR bug (where it slows the cpu on low bitrate frames and then is too slow on a following high bitrate frame) and it all makes for good speculation.
I've also been deleting while syncing the last few days, since this happened to me.....but tomorrow I'll try again and try to remember to be patient and see if it actually is just going really slow. It has made no difference whether or not my microsdhc is inserted.....so one variable eliminated, anyway

Old 11-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Ultra Senior Member

figures.....it works perfectly today...lol

Old 11-17-2008, 01:04 PM

Just a thought on why the "delete" is soooo slow. What if, Instead of just deleting entries, the unit is also performing a "refreshing media" in the background. I've timed it, and the delete and initial "refreshing media" seem to be almost identical.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger67 View Post
Just a thought on why the "delete" is soooo slow. What if, Instead of just deleting entries, the unit is also performing a "refreshing media" in the background. I've timed it, and the delete and initial "refreshing media" seem to be almost identical.
That makes sense, except that mine stopped doing it....so I dunno