android
Old 07-28-2008, 03:41 PM

Exclamation HELP! Zen V:M freezing on ZEN logo screen

It freezes on the ZEN logo screen and stays there for a few minutes, then goes into recovery mode. I try any of the three options, cleanup doesn't show the progress, just hangs on the "Scan Disk" screen for about 20 minutes. And all of the other options, Format all and reload firmware, just hang there for 20 minutes until it goes back into recovery mode. Even when I select "reboot", it won't turn off, it just says "shutting down" and then nothing...

When I finally got my pc to recognize my zen being plugged in, I tried reloading the firmware but it stopped with about 1 1/2 bars to go it stops and won't continue.

This is the 4th time this has happened to me and I've sent it in all the other 3 times. I'm tired of sending it in.

Any help is appreciated.

EDIT: After reading another thread, BobbyRS gives this advice

"Hello qbit. Welcome.

It sounds like you've tried just about everything and it looks as though you have a good connection with the computer. When the ZVM boots directly into Recovery Mode, it is usually because the hard drive isn't detected, it's failed/failing, or it's corrupt beyond functioning correctly.

I would first open up the ZVM to make sure you just don't have a loose hard drive connection or that it just needs reseated. If that doesn't help, I would consider your hard drive is bad. Do you feel it spin up when powered on? Do you hear/feel any clicking of the drive?

These should help with opening the ZVM or replacing the hard drive if bad:

Here is the ABI disassembly guide.
Here is a video of a disassembly.
Here is the hard drive replacement thread.
Here is the new tested hard drive swap thread.
Here is the hard drive connector type thread.

Good luck!"

I looked into the ABI disassembly guide and was wondering, does this void my warranty? It's over 90 days, but will it void the long term one?

Last edited by Gatodequeso; 07-28-2008 at 06:21 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-28-2008, 09:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello Gatodequeso. Welcome to ABI.
<o></o>
Now, if you have a ZVM that is still under warranty, opening it up will void the warranty. As usual with a device still under warranty, it would most likely be best to take advantage of the warranty for repair work. My response that you posted of mine above, would be advice for someone that would not have their ZVM under warranty or didn't care if they voided the warranty. I know this is the 4th time this has happened (and I would say that to Creative as well), but I would really consider taking advantage of the warranty again.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-29-2008, 06:59 PM

BobbyRS, I can hear the clicking noise inside my ZVM, and, how will creative know when the player is void to warrenty?

Old 07-29-2008, 09:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, clicking isn't good. If there is clicking along with your problem, then most likely the hard drive has failed. Creative would know either if the warranty period has expired (from date of proof of purchase) or if they can tell if you have opened up the ZVM. Technically, if you open it up, that voids the warranty.

Zen FAQ

Old 11-20-2008, 09:29 AM

So if it clicks, does it mean that my Zen is messed up? It clicks, but it works fine. It only clicks when I'm about to hear a song and when I turn it on

Old 11-20-2008, 01:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I should clarify what I said above. In the OP's case, clicking isn't good considering his problem. In your case, some clicking is normal with hard drives. Your ZVM is running fine, so that is all that really matters here. However, to play it safe and since your ZVM does work, you should make sure that you have all of your files backed-up in case the clicking is the beginning of a failing hard drive.

Zen FAQ

Old 11-20-2008, 05:08 PM

Ok. I had the same problem as Gato in the beginning of the year, only it didn't go to recovery mode (it just stayed at the zen logo; i had to manually go to the recovery mode) and it seemed to click when it got stuck at the logo screen. Gato said that he couldn't reload the firmware, and I dont think I could (I had to redownload a new firmware), but when I did redownload the firmware, everything worked fine. I don't know if it relates to this topic (and if it doesn't, I'm sorry) but did I (or am I still) having the same problem that Gato's having or is mine a different issue?

Old 11-20-2008, 07:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I believe it looked like the same issue, but the cause was from two different problems. Keep in mind that the firmware is stored on the hard drive. When the screen displays the Zen logo, this is when it begins accessing the hard drive to load the firmware. It looks as though Gato's ZVM locking up on the Zen screen is a result of a failed hard drive. It looks as though your ZVM was locking up on the Zen screen because the firmware became corrupted. When you reinstalled the firmware, you corrected your issue and all is good.

Zen FAQ

Old 11-21-2008, 08:34 AM

That's nice to know. Thanks for the info.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:51 AM
Ultra Senior Member

No problem. Enjoy!

Zen FAQ