android
Old 11-13-2008, 11:18 AM

Default Zen V Plus - Non UK Firmware ?

Hi all,

I live in the UK & have unsuccessfully been attempting to download the non UK version of the ZENVPlus_PCFW_L22_1_32_01e.exe Firmware.

To the best of my knowledge, the "e" is for European & the only difference being the volume restriction being applied in this version.

Whenever I attempt to download from Creative.com, I invariably seem to get re-directed to download the European version.

The issue I have is when plugging the Zen into my Stereo, I have to turn both the volume on the Zen up to maximum & also turn the volume on the amp up rather high to achieve anything approaching similar volume levels as other sources. & if you, (.... As I managed to do yesterday evening), suddenly switch to a high level source ( eg CD player), without first remembering to reduce the volume control on the amp. The result can be rather upsetting to the speakers & the cat.

As a 40 'something' year old, my desire to melt my eardrums have deminished, but I would rather like to keep my speakers intact.

So, I am looking for a URL that people on here feel is safe ( as opposed to downloading from an unknown source with all the inherant dangers that can bring)

Any help on this would be apreciated.
Chris

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-13-2008, 12:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

- Go here
- Click on MP3 Players
- Click on Zen V Plus
- Under the firmware section, you should see Firmware version 1.32.01, click on Download
- Click on AGREE at the bottom of the page for the download to begin

Make sure you boot into Recovery Mode and select reload Firmware (to ensure that the current European firmware is erased) before connecting and installing the US firmware version.

Zen FAQ

Old 11-13-2008, 12:56 PM

Hi Bobby,

Thanks for the reply.
This is what I've tried already. I even tried setting my "region / country" to be North America, but along the way, it's looking like it detects the fact that my IP address is in Europe & the only firmware listed is...1_32_01e

Ho Hum :-(

Clicking through the links you suggest, gets me to...

http://support.creative.com/Products...ame=ZEN+V+Plus

Which gets me....

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Lawrence/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]

So, looks like I'm stuck at the mo.

(Thanks for trying)
Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Creative screen shot.jpg (51.0 KB, 6 views)

Old 11-13-2008, 01:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ok, go here and then in the upper right hand corner of the screen change the location to North America. The next page take the defaults for America and select OK and move on to the downloads page to where you can get the US firmware.

Zen FAQ

Last edited by BobbyRS; 11-13-2008 at 01:18 PM.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:42 PM

It Worked !
Bobby, You are indeed a Star !!!!

Your suggestion, along with the recovery tool has ended up with the Non UK Firmware.
My sincerest thanks for your help.

Best regards
Chris

Old 11-13-2008, 04:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thank you. It's no problem. Enjoy your Zen!

Zen FAQ

Last edited by BobbyRS; 11-26-2008 at 08:58 AM.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:57 AM

Hey, I have followed the instructions above, and I have downloaded the correct executable:
ZENVPlus_PCFW_L22_1_32_01.exe

The upgrade tool works fine, the player reboots and it seems to work.

But, the information screen on the player shows that the players firmware is version 1.32.01e.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Welcome Anessen. It sounds like you have downloaded the European version of the firmware (e = European). Did you have the European version installed before?

Zen FAQ

Old 11-26-2008, 09:16 AM

I had the EU version installed, yes.

I went to the Creative site and set my locale to North America, and it gave me the American download link (there is no "e" suffix to the version in the updator).

The updator runs, and the player reboots, the updator says everything was successful but the player still shows the EU version of the firmware to be installed.

I don't think its any louder than it used to be (the volume range goes from 0-25, I don't hear any difference at highest).

Old 11-26-2008, 09:19 AM
Ultra Senior Member

In order to switch from the EU firmware to the US firmware, you need to do so from within Recovery Mode by selecting the Reload Firmware option. This will erase the currently installed firmware first before loading the new/different version. If you do not do this, the e will carry over and there will be no change in the volume limiting.

From the Zen FAQ:

Quote:
To remove this restriction on the volume, you can install the US version of the same firmware. The firmware is identical except for the removal of this volume restriction. To do so, follow the directions below:

*Don't try to install the US version of the firmware over top the European version. The European firmware should be removed first and then the US firmware can be installed.

*Make sure you have a good connection between the Zen and the computer before attempting. To test, boot the Zen into Recovery Mode, connect it to the computer, and see if it gets recognized correctly and the driver loads without error.

1. Connect the Zen to your computer and verify that it is connected and are able to access it.
2. Download the US firmware.
3. Disconnect the Zen from the computer and boot into Recovery Mode and select the Reload Firmware option.

When booted into Recovery Mode and selecting the Reload Firmware from the menu, this erases the currently installed firmware and helps ensure no problems when changing firmware versions.

4. Once the Zen has completed erasing the firmware, it will prompt you to connect it to the computer to execute the new firmware installation. Connect the Zen to the computer.
5. Execute the US version of the firmware to install.

Zen FAQ

Old 11-26-2008, 09:26 AM

Aha, that did it. I didn't set it to reload the firmware.

Thanks!

Old 11-26-2008, 09:28 AM
Ultra Senior Member

No problem. Enjoy the loudness.

Zen FAQ