android
Old 11-22-2008, 04:27 PM

Default Cowon O2 Video Review

I uploaded it to Veoh.com which took forever. It failed one time and the second time worked. Here's the link: http://www.veoh.com/videos/v16703100fYweSWCC

<embed src="http://www.veoh.com/veohplayer.swf?permalinkId=v16703100fYweSWCC&id=an onymous&player=videodetailsembedded&videoAutoPlay= 0" allowFullScreen="true" width="540" height="435" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed>

Sorry if I don't speak clear or if I'm not enthusiastic enough, but that's how I sound. T_T

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-22-2008, 04:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Excellent job, CNET/Engadget/Giz could learn a thing or two from you.

Old 11-22-2008, 05:03 PM

Thanks
I always hate Cnet etc.
They never use the player itself. Sure, it looks nice, but lets see some size comparisons and some actual video/audio playback.
The funny thing is, I want to listen to my music off of the O2 rather than my computer. XD

Old 11-22-2008, 05:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I know how it feels, a new toy with BBE is just great... Can't wait for mine, it should arrive next week.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:27 PM

Thanks Volan, Did I hear you hint, that the device does not support ID3 tags?

Old 11-22-2008, 10:05 PM

It supports ID3 tags BUT not while browsing files. When you play a file it indicated the ID3 tags of the Album, Artist, Title but it doesn't order them in the browser using them.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

nice video, very tempting

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 11-23-2008, 02:07 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Looks nice, and an excellent review, but the lack of true ID3 support, plus the lack of the ability to use multiple playlists (and I don't mean the DPL), turns me off. Too bad, would be the bomb for me otherwise.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:12 AM

You know, I once owned an iAudioX5 back in 2004, I had forgotten than that Cowon handled ID3 tags like that. I remember people wishing that Cowon would add full ID3 tag support. But it looks like they never did! What a shame! Does the O2 support SD cards, and is it intergrated the system?

Old 11-23-2008, 11:15 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The D2 (and other Cowons) supports browsing by ID3 tag just fine. In ID3 mode it even integrates the internal memory and the SD card into one. Not to mention the D2 is one of the few players that sorts artists starting with "The" under the correct letter.

So it certainly is slightly bewildering that the O2 doesn't. However, we all know that Cowon always releases their new players with firmware that's not even beta stage, compared to other company's standards. We'll see if firmware upgrades will improve things...

Old 11-25-2008, 12:30 PM

certainly yes dfkt. hopefully COWON will release Firmware that will improve a lot of things and add some new features. with the SDK being released dear god can we see some good stuff along the way

Old 11-27-2008, 12:36 AM

I'll give it a month or two.... if they give us ID3 tag sorting and decent apps then this sucker is going on my list XD

Old 11-29-2008, 08:17 PM

I actually could care less about ID3 tagged browsing after having this player for about a week. The sound quality and screen quality is just too great for me to not like this player just on the fact that it doesn't browse files viva ID3 tags.

Sound blew me away today when I turned on one of my favorite songs on my computer. I had to turn off my speakers and gasped in horror when I heard the sound that had come out of my speakers. I grabbed my Cowon and unplugged my speakers from my PC and plugged into my O2 and that's how I'm listening to music from now on.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:56 AM

Default Just got mine yesterday

I've had my O2 for 36hrs now and I am impressed. I've never owned a cowon before. My creative zen vision m broke and I got the O2 as a replacement. After 36 hrs I don't miss my zen one bit(I really loved that thing). If anyone has any questions I can try to help answer them. As for many people complaining about the ID3 tag sorting, If you like to search by artist it is very easy to create artist folders for your music. Most of the music on my computer was already sorted by artist. As new albums of your favorite band comes out you can just add them to the folder you already created. My zen had Id3 sorting and I cant tell the difference. For people who constantly load and delete new music it could cause a problem, but w/ 32gb and an expansion slot i cant see why.

Also the sound and picture is absolutely amazing

Old 12-11-2008, 11:30 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volan View Post
I actually could care less about ID3 tagged browsing after having this player for about a week. The sound quality and screen quality is just too great for me to not like this player just on the fact that it doesn't browse files viva ID3 tags.

Sound blew me away today when I turned on one of my favorite songs on my computer. I had to turn off my speakers and gasped in horror when I heard the sound that had come out of my speakers. I grabbed my Cowon and unplugged my speakers from my PC and plugged into my O2 and that's how I'm listening to music from now on.
Right on bro thats how i am when i listen to x264 changed container to avi or xvid and its out of this world ... i could care less about my psp and my nokia n810 .. i sold that shit lmao :P

have people on train heading to work stare and glare .. ohhhhhhhhh wowwwwwwwww eyeballs i pay no mind and enjoy the luxory of conception

except the psp i havent gotten rid of it saving it put aside its on vacation lol

But im glad you like it. Alot of my co workers at my job are asking me where i get it bla bla bla oh i want one how much this thing kicks ipod ass to the floor and steps on it and doesnt move.

Best purchase on anything to satisfy my needs beside sex :0

and im not surely to wait for cowon to make a device portable for that.. that be just to weird .... hehe

Old 12-19-2008, 09:56 AM

wow that's one of the best pmp reviews I've seen, great job!
I just have a quick question,

What headphones are you using? I need to upgrade my headphones badly and $35 is just around my price range.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:54 AM

If you don't mind having over the ear headphones, I found the Koss Prota-Pro headphones great!

There bass is great and heavy and the treble is clear and high. There quite comfortable and lift as well. I order them off of amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Koss-PortaPro-...9752312&sr=8-1

Old 12-20-2008, 01:32 PM

That is the most unenthusiastic review I have ever seen in my life, and yet, it probably holds more value than most. Thanks for a good review, I was having doubts, but anyways, most of the problems that it has can be fixed by a firmware update, so I can't wait to get my hands on this little player. :P

Old 12-20-2008, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volan View Post
If you don't mind having over the ear headphones, I found the Koss Prota-Pro headphones great!

There bass is great and heavy and the treble is clear and high. There quite comfortable and lift as well. I order them off of amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Koss-PortaPro-...9752312&sr=8-1
Sweet, thanks well definitely pick this up after Christmas!

Old 03-11-2009, 10:24 PM

Posting up here to update a bit a news.

I'll probably upload another review a few days after the next firmware update comes out.

I've been visiting here and keeping track of the firmware updates and I can't wait till the new firmware update. I'm hoping it will set up a better and smoother UI and MKV support. If those two problems are fixed, it seems like the player will be great.

But, has anyone checked the S9 forum? It seems to me that there player was already stable before this new update! There saying it's a big thing when it's a completely stable player before! The O2 is the one who is actually needing the huge overhaul. Just what I was thinking.