android
Old 06-28-2008, 11:09 AM

Default T10 not recognized by the PC

Please, help me.
I have WMP11 installed, Windows Service Pack 2 too.
My firmware is 1.68 EU. First I installed Samsung Media Studio, then I plugged my T10 into usb slot.
Then started the Studio. Nothing happened, the Portable icon on my Studio window is inactive. Windows Explorer doesn`t recognize the device either.
I`d like to change to UMS, but first I the PC must recognize the device in order to place Robin`s firmware in the data directory.

Thanx to everybody in advance!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-28-2008, 10:12 PM

Very bad, nobody helps me.
Why is that, guys?

Old 06-28-2008, 10:15 PM

I'll give it a shot, but I'm not sure I can help.

I would suggest checking Device Manager to see if you can find an entry for your T10.. right click.. delete the entry (it should have a yellow exclamation mark showing it is not working properly)... reboot your PC and then plug your player back in via the USB cable.. see if it finds the player that way.

let me know...

also.. there can be conflicts between WMP 11 and SMS.. try un-installing SMS.. reboot and then see if you can access your player using WMP 11 and/or Windows Explorer...

Old 06-30-2008, 10:13 AM

Ok, I found an exit. This was my way:
Go to Control Panel and Add New Hardware, Windows should find your device but tell windows you will locate the drivers yourself. When it brings up the list of devices you need to select standard MTP device and then istall this, ignore the message about this might not be the best driver etc. If this doesn`t work, like in my case, you must do after that: Add Hardware > choose T10 in yellow mark from the hardware list > Install driver > Automatic search > and you get a working T10

Old 07-10-2008, 08:06 AM

My friend has the exact same problem. Me and her have the t10 and I spent like an hour trying to set up hers to work but it just wouldn't! I tried both methods and it still would not work.

She told me that when she first installed the device button was active in SMS but then all of a sudden it became inactive.

It worked totally fine on mine, but I'd still like to know if there were any other ways to fix it.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:07 PM

Default Not possible

The samsung T10 player depends on MTP a device protocol rolled out by Microsoft via Windows Media Player (WMP). As of WMP11 the MTP drivers do not work with the samsung player. Samsung suggests rolling back to WMP10. However, if you're lucky enough to be a Vista user or Windows XP SP3 user (like most people in the world now) you're out of luck. You can only install WMP11 and the T10 will not work. Samsung refuses to support the changes blaming microsoft. Since the T10 isn't a microsoft product you can imagine there isn't much they are going to do.
I have fought with Samsung Canada for 3 weeks on this issue. I suggest, if you can, return the product for a refund. If you cannot I suggest throwing it in the garbage and calling your local better business bureau.
Samsung service has been terrible - and I now have a useless $150 MP3 player under warranty that isn't supported in any current OS in the world. Good times. Samsung will never get my business again.

Old 11-27-2008, 01:25 PM

Default Yes it is...

Wow, I just went through a lot of trouble to hook my T10 up to my sister's windows xp computer. I finially got it working, using the old version of media player etc.

I'd just like to say that it is supported in linux. I use ubuntu linux, and had my player working in no time (even using MTP)! It's incredible that the player comes with "made for windows" labels all over it, and is better supported on Linux!

I hope samsung learns from being screwed over by microsoft in the future, and uses UMS mass storage transfer protocals. It would make life so much easier for everyone.

Cheers,
Rich

Old 11-28-2008, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlongland View Post
I hope samsung learns from being screwed over by microsoft in the future, and uses UMS mass storage transfer protocals. It would make life so much easier for everyone.
Korean firmware uses MSC = Mass Storage Class = UMS = USB mass storage

See the other (sticky) threads on instructions on how to change your firmware to the korean version.

Just keep this in mind:
  • RDS won't work with korean firmware (only works in European firmware, and US firmware that is made to think it was European firmware - RDS (Radio Data System) are little text messages transferred by FM radio stations)
  • DRM won't work (so if you're bying drm protected music online and intend to play those files on the T10, then don't switch)
  • After changing the firmware from MTP to MSC, you should format the device (in the Settings menu), otherwise filenames/titles might be messed up. Formatting the device will erase all files on it, so make backups as necessary.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:48 AM

Default Good message to consumers...

As I said, I use Linux so I don't have the problem with windows not recognising the player.

It's still not good for samsung to be telling consumers to either downgrade Windows Media Player, or their entire OS to get the player to work (or install Korean firmware!). Especially when people can go out, buy an ipod and have no trouble at all! I don't blame Samsung for the issues with MTP getting broken. I'm sure that they complied with all of Microsoft's specs, which were then changed. I guess I'm biased, but I think it's Microsoft's responsibility to ensure back compatibility, especially for devices that are only a year or so old! I do fell, however, that samsung will be better served if they forget MTP altogether in their devices.

It's a shame, I love my T10, and show off it's cool features to every ipod wielding friend of mine (especially the ones who ride the bus, and don't hear their phone ringing while mine cuts right in on the T10)! I'd be less inclined to recommend it to people now, especially if they use Vista.

Cheers,
Rich