android
Old 11-16-2008, 08:24 AM

Talking Charging ZVM using powered usb hub only?

I have a usb hub with its own power supply. Connecting the ZVM to this using its usb cable actually switches the unit on. However, it does not seem to start charging. Note, no PC is involved here.
Question: should it charge ? or do you actually need the "official" charger?
Any suggestions welcome

========
Thanks to this forum, successfully modded my ZVM from 30GB to 80GB!!!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-16-2008, 12:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

When charging over USB, no PC being involved here is most likely the issue.

From the Zen FAQ:

Quote:
Before the USB bus interface can begin charging a device (Zen), it must return a device identifier to the hub driver (or device driver). Once the hub driver has the returned information from the device (like power requirements, supported transfer speeds, etc.), it can then begin charging the device based on those retuned values. This process is called Enumeration. Until enumeration has completed, it may not draw more than 100mA from the bus. Once enumeration has completed, it can then begin drawing up to the 500mA allowed by the USB bus.
When charging with an AC charger, the enumeration process is basically bypassed which allows the charger to begin charging the device with full current directly after you plug it in.

Zen FAQ

Old 11-16-2008, 02:44 PM

BobbyRs,
thanks for the clear explanation.
S

Old 11-16-2008, 04:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

No problem. Happy to help. Enjoy the Zen!

Zen FAQ

Old 11-30-2008, 01:39 PM

Default Charging with PC usb connection

Hi BobbyRS,
Thanks for getting back to me last holiday week in the US. I am still flummoxed as to what gives on my Zen M. As you know, I could not charge my unit, plugged into my usb connection on my Compaq/HP laptop usb connection. This is XP Pro version.
It did light up and act like it was charging, but was not. Then we tried my brother in law's Blackberry wall wart connection which did not work either.
I got home last night, and plugged it into my desktop, and it showed the screen for charging, and it worked. What is the deal?
Is the usb connection on my laptop not "hot enough"? How can I change that?
Do I need to make sure I travel with a AC charger that is also a "High Charger"?
How do I check the output on my laptop to see what is coming out? It works on thumb drives, which I assume are not the power draw of the Zen.
Do I need to run the software disc that came with the Creative and download that onto my laptop to make the usb connection hot? That is my next move.
Edit: Update: So I installed some of the basic software on the Creative Zen disc, and restarted the laptop. But it still didn't recognize the Zen M, so I went into Device Manager, and it said it didn't have the proper drivers for the Zen. What???
So I told it go fishing online, it did, downloaded the drivers, and now it appears to be charging proplerly off the usb hub, and it is recognized by the Zen M software. What is up with all that? I wonder if my AC charger I have somewhere is going to have the same problems, though Bobby mentioned above it should bypass any software stuff.
Thanks for any help.
Lyndon
Salt Lake City

Last edited by LuckyLyndy; 11-30-2008 at 02:19 PM. Reason: May have corrected the usb laptop charging problem.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLyndy View Post
Hi BobbyRS,
Thanks for getting back to me last holiday week in the US.
No problem.

Quote:
It did light up and act like it was charging, but was not. Then we tried my brother in law's Blackberry wall wart connection which did not work either.
I got home last night, and plugged it into my desktop, and it showed the screen for charging, and it worked. What is the deal?
It sounds like the USB ports on the laptop cannot output enough power. This is a common problem for many laptops particularly smaller or older laptops.

Quote:
Is the usb connection on my laptop not "hot enough"? How can I change that?
Well, you can also connect the AC charger while connecting to the laptop.... You can also try using a powered hub.... maybe even try a Y-Splitter USB cable.

Quote:
How do I check the output on my laptop to see what is coming out? It works on thumb drives, which I assume are not the power draw of the Zen.
Device Manager -> Expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers -> Look at the properties for each USB Root Hub -> Under the Power tab and with the Zen connected, you should see the amount of power showing required.

Quote:
So I told it go fishing online, it did, downloaded the drivers, and now it appears to be charging proplerly off the usb hub, and it is recognized by the Zen M software. What is up with all that?
In order for the Zen to be able to get the full charging current, the driver has to load without error (in Device Manager). If the driver is showing error (not installed) then it may only get about 100mA instead of the full 500mA.

Zen FAQ

Old 12-01-2008, 04:28 AM

So is it possible to get a usb charger for the ZVM that does not involve a computer (something like a car charger) that is 3rd party?

Old 12-01-2008, 08:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, it is possible to get a USB charger. However, I don't really like to recommend to people to charge through USB unless it is connected to a computer. I would definitely stay away from car charging through USB. The ZVM's USB port is really sensitive to charging. The AC port on the charger is really what should be used. See this thread for more information.

Zen FAQ

Tags
charge, charging, usb