android
Old 12-12-2008, 09:29 PM

Help Any news on Rockbox release for the view?

Ok, so I really dislike the original firmware for the Sansa E260, and I know the view firmware is different, but I prefer rockbox still. So, is there any news on a rockbox release for the view? Please gimme some good news. Thanks guys!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-12-2008, 10:00 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Nothing has been done on a View port and no one is working on it.

Old 12-13-2008, 04:13 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Here is the link to the thread about the View, tho: http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=13562.0

Old 12-13-2008, 12:43 PM

Oh man oh man, why is noone working on it? I wish I knew how to low-level program and reverse engineer well. Also, I'm not rich enough to risk ruining a new view. Hopefully, someone will eventually create rockbox firmware for it next year...

Old 12-13-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by specnaz01 View Post
Oh man oh man, why is noone working on it?
I think everyone who isn't working on the port has a different reason, but like you and I, most people probably aren't interested in enough to invest the time.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:17 PM

Now its a GS0C project, and Robert Keevil is working on it http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/vie.../GSoCSansaView

Old 07-21-2009, 05:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Not to sound disrespectful about the project - but why the View? I know how porting Rockbox works: anyone who has any interest in seeing Rockbox on a specific player gets it started on their own. But the View is an old Portalplayer thing and not that exciting... just makes me wonder why it is a GSoC project? I do understand the relevance of the other Rockbox-GSoC projects, of course.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:57 PM

I see what you're saying, but I for one like the view. It is cheap (59.99 US for the 8 gb version) and has a much nicer screen compared to the e200 I had. Despite the underpowered cpu, most of the gripes people have with the View are related to firmware. Rockbox could make the view a lot better and a good player for the people who have it, (such as Robert Keevil, i assume) and could make others consider buying it.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Not to sound disrespectful about the project - but why the View? I know how porting Rockbox works: anyone who has any interest in seeing Rockbox on a specific player gets it started on their own. But the View is an old Portalplayer thing and not that exciting... just makes me wonder why it is a GSoC project?
Basically its up to students to pick projects, then we read their proposals, interview them about the proposal, and vote on which we want to have. obo proposed working on a View port, and he was qualified, so the project was accepted. It probably wouldn't be my first choice either (since its an extremely difficult target to port to), but its the one he wanted to work on.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:37 PM

saratoga,
thank the student and thanks to all of you for the whole rockbox project. I got my e260 & e280 from woot but rock box lets me use the 8gb micro sdhc cards that I store too many hoarded hours of npr podcasts on... I'm not alas a programer or modder person--without you guys I'd be stuck with their useless program... My spouse (equally tech illiterate) just bought a view...refurb thinking that one could do what I could with rockbox... maybe in a few months... THANK YOU for your hard work!!!!

Old 09-10-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron424 View Post
I see what you're saying, but I for one like the view. It is cheap (59.99 US for the 8 gb version) and has a much nicer screen compared to the e200 I had. Despite the underpowered cpu, most of the gripes people have with the View are related to firmware. Rockbox could make the view a lot better and a good player for the people who have it, (such as Robert Keevil, i assume) and could make others consider buying it.
I agree very much. If I had any programming skills I'd help out. Think about the bang for the buck you'd get with a view Rockboxed? The current firmware screws up the microSD epansion. With Rockbox for less than a hundred dollars you could easily have a 24 gig player with capabilities galore.

Thanks,