android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen V

Old 12-11-2008, 11:38 PM

Default Stuck in Recovery Mode--FW upgrade won't recognize device

I've been following a few threads here and hoping BobbyRS can help me out!

This problem began with what looked like a library problem. I'd uploaded new tracks to the ZVP and it wasn't recognizing them. Sounded like i needed to go to Recovery Mode and "Clean Up," according to what i read.

When i selected "Clean Up," nothing much happened, so i tried to "Reboot." Seemed to reboot, but would only come up to Rec.Mode again.

SO i find this forum and keep reading: found a thread where someone was having the same problem and reloaded the firmware from Rec.Mode, so i tried that.

Now i've deleted the firmware BUT the Firmware reload won't recognize the device! Windows seems to: i can browse to the device and the "Storage Media" folder beneath (acts like a USB drive), but when i run the firmware updater it says the device is not connected.

What now?? Thanks for any help!
-steve

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-12-2008, 08:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Welcome zurn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurn View Post
I've been following a few threads here and hoping BobbyRS can help me out!
I'll do my best.

Quote:
This problem began with what looked like a library problem. I'd uploaded new tracks to the ZVP and it wasn't recognizing them.
Was the ZVP functioning correctly otherwise?

Quote:
Seemed to reboot, but would only come up to Rec.Mode again.
This could be because of a filesystem/database corruption (which would require a Format to correct; but will erase all files) or firmware issue (like no or corrupt firmware and would require a firmware reload) or a hardware issue (like a failure that would require a new mainboard installed).

Quote:
Now i've deleted the firmware BUT the Firmware reload won't recognize the device! Windows seems to: i can browse to the device and the "Storage Media" folder beneath (acts like a USB drive), but when i run the firmware updater it says the device is not connected.
The first two things I would do is make sure that all of the Creative software is uninstalled and then reinstall the driver in Device Manager:

From the Zen FAQ:

Quote:
To re-install the Zen's MTP driver if not being recognized correctly:

1. With the Zen connected, in Device Manager, expand the Potable Device category.
2. Right click on the Creative Zen listing and slect the Uninstall from the menu.
3. Once it is uninstalled, disconnect the Zen from the USB port.
4. Wait a minute, then plug it back in and take note in Device Manager that it refreshes and reloads the driver properly.
5. Once it reloads the driver properly, open My Computer and see if it shows correctly.
Then see if that helps.

Zen FAQ

Old 12-12-2008, 11:33 AM

Thanks for the reply, BobbyRS.

Yes, it was working fine before. I think i've made some headway: actually i just tried to reload the firmware from a different PC, and it worked fine. I had already formatted, so it should be clean. However, i'm back where i started.

That is, i went back to the original PC (my media PC where all my files are) and uploaded the files i wanted back onto the ZVP. I use a media player called J River Media Center (not MS Media Center, heretofore JRMC), and it has worked in the past.

After JRMC is done uploading, i can see the files on the device via Windows Explorer under the Music directory, but when i disconnect, the ZVP itself shows no files at all.

JRMC is uploading the files to an Artist/Album structure under Music--is that OK? Even though there is one file that is just at the Music directory, and it's not seeing that one either.

I would tell it to rebuild, but that's how i got in that loop previously....what do you think?

Thanks again!
-steve

Old 12-12-2008, 06:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Try just using Windows Explorer instead of any media manager or syncing software and just drag-and-drop a few files over to the Music folder on the Zen.

Zen FAQ

Old 12-13-2008, 01:16 PM

Thanks, BobbyRS, i think that's it...at least, while testing that i noticed that the mp3 tags for files uploaded by my media player were missing. Copying them straight over seemed to work fine.

So, it's back to them to figure out what's going on there...thanks for your help!
-steve

Old 12-13-2008, 07:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

No problem? Yeah files with no tags will not show on the Zen. Sounds like your sync manager isn't transferring the metadata.

Zen FAQ