android
Old 01-28-2008, 11:36 PM

Default The Case of the Vanishing Albums

Hey, folks.

I got a 16GB Zen a couple of days ago for my birthday, and I've been rather enjoying it. It's a wonderful spiritual successor to my recently-deceased Zen Micro (crushed by a car, though its converted Altoids tin of a case protected it from being pulverized), and after a couple of false starts, I thought I had everything pretty well figured out.

But now I've noticed something. I'm absolutely positive that I have uploaded tracks to the player on albums that start with letters past H. For example, I know that I have uploaded tracks from Apocalyptica's Reflections. I also know that I've tagged said tracks correctly-- I spent all of yesterday meticulously checking the tag of every song to be uploaded, adding album art and making sure all the details were correct. However, when I browse by albums, I get all the way to Hot Chocolate and (the album by Justice), and no other albums are shown. I can't find Reflections by browsing albums, in either cover or title view, when I'm certain I've uploaded that album, all properly-tagged.

Strange, no? It gets stranger. If I go to "Artists", and select Apocalyptica, I can still see the album Reflections. If I click the album with the center button, it gives me the message "No tracks in this category." If I highlight Reflections, hit the menu button and select "View Tracks", I can see the tracks-- and play them! By viewing their details, I can confirm that they are indeed filed under "R" for "Reflections"; however, the Zen just seems to be expressly refusing to include anything from an album after H unless I really poke and prod at it.

There's one other odd thing I've noticed. I have one other Apocalyptica track, Nothing Else Matters, from the album Inquisition Symphony. Once I've viewed the tracks of Reflections, Nothing Else Matters shows up in there as well-- even though it's tagged as a track from Inquisition Symphony. If I view the tracks of Inquisition Symphony, I get all of the other Apocalyptica tracks as well. In short, the albums are getting muddled together.

I tried resetting my player, hoping that doing so might inspire it to rebuild its library properly. Nuh-uh.

To recap:
  • 16GB Zen
  • Windows XP SP2
  • Using supplied Creative software to load my player (against my better judgment)
  • Albums past letter H are not indexed correctly, despite proper tags
    • They do not appear when viewing albums
    • When accessed through artists, the albums appear, but deliver a "No tracks in this category message" when selected
    • If one "View[s] Tracks", the tracks appear and can be played, but all tracks from affected albums by the same artist are jumbled together
  • Reset does not fix problem
Apologies for the verbose post; however, does anyone have any ideas on how I might fix this?

Thank you!

EDIT: It gets curiouser and curiouser... I just now uploaded Queen: Greatest Hits (well, it's Greatest Hits by Queen, but I tagged it with the artist name in the title since it was a compilation). "Queen: Greatest Hits" starts with a Q, which is far beyond H, last I checked. Yet, it displays and works fine, which makes me think that something happened once that upset the indexing at H, but everything done since then is fine.

Last edited by Southwest; 01-28-2008 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Added a new test result.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-29-2008, 07:17 AM

Have you tried to perform CleanUp from Recovery Mode?

Old 01-29-2008, 10:30 AM

I just read up a bit on Recovery Mode (since I hadn't had to access it yet from this player), booted into it, and cleaned up. It worked! That's the perfectly logical thing to do-- I guess I just didn't do it because I wasn't aware of where that function was.

Thanks, Valdr!

Old 01-29-2008, 06:58 PM

happened to me also a couple of weeks ago. wonder why it happens.
Nuforce NE-4M

Old 01-31-2008, 09:26 AM

I think it is all MTP fault I also wonder how the library is built, is it some kind of xml file ... anyway CleanUp usually deals with it and I recommend to do it after adding big quantity of audio files.

Old 07-04-2008, 04:02 AM

Default Same problem, solution ineffective

Hello. I have the same problem with my mp3 player, but cleanup has not fixed it. For me, it occurs on artists I have downloaded tracks by, but not on CD albums that have been ripped on to my computer.

Furthermore, I have noticed that the tracks which do not display unless you select 'view tracks' are also never selected when the player is randomly playing tunes from the entire library, which is my favourite thing to do.

Any suggestions?

Old 12-13-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Historical View Post
Hello. I have the same problem with my mp3 player, but cleanup has not fixed it. For me, it occurs on artists I have downloaded tracks by, but not on CD albums that have been ripped on to my computer.

Furthermore, I have noticed that the tracks which do not display unless you select 'view tracks' are also never selected when the player is randomly playing tunes from the entire library, which is my favourite thing to do.

Any suggestions?
You can fix the problem by adding album name in mp3, Zen doesn't recognize as Unknown Album so it just glitches (Nice going creative, releasing a glitched product). So right clicking, going to properties and giving it an album name should fix the problem.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Welcome ITakeThisName.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITakeThisName View Post
You can fix the problem by adding album name in mp3,
On an MTP device that utilizes ID3 tag metadata, it is always a good idea to make sure the tags are correctly filled. If not, you're pretty much asking for issues.

Quote:
Zen doesn't recognize as Unknown Album so it just glitches (Nice going creative, releasing a glitched product).
Come on now.... what product has ever been released without glitches?

Quote:
So right clicking, going to properties and giving it an album name should fix the problem.
Check out MP3Tag; Great program for editing ID3 tags.

Zen FAQ