android
Old 12-13-2008, 07:03 PM

Exclamation Firmware - Does not recognize Zen.

Heres my story. A few months ago my zen wouldn't connect to my computer so i decided to open up my recovery mode option on my zen. Then i cleaned, reformatted and rebooted. Same result, so I had the bright idea of pressing update firmware which I did know know what it is. I soon found out it was the main program to run my Zen and i was totally screwed =/ Just an hour ago, i put in my zen and after 5 minutes it popped up in my hardwares list with a yellow "!" so i tried to update, It gave me an error so I uninstalled it. Unhooked it and rehooked it into my computer. It was finally recognized but in my recovery mode, it says docked and i can't move up and down. I opened my firmware update but the update button is unclickable. Now now i can't update my firmware. It doesn't recognize it =[

downloaded firmware: ZENVisionM_30GB_PCFW_L21_1_62_02.exe

Last edited by aznfool7; 12-13-2008 at 07:13 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-13-2008, 09:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Welcome aznfool7. It looks like you're on the right track. In Device Manager, if you look at the driver properties, what does it say under the device status as the problem or did uninstalling and reinstalling the driver resolve that issue? Make sure you select Reload Firmware in Recovery Mode and wait to connect to the computer to execute the firmware installation when the ZVM says it is ready.

Zen FAQ

Old 12-14-2008, 07:17 AM

i can't open my recovery screen w/o connecting it to my computer because the batteries are very low. a black screen with a battery icon on the top right corner of the screen with a lightning bolt flashing mean its recharging?

Last edited by aznfool7; 12-14-2008 at 07:48 AM.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:09 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes that indicates that the battery is charging. It sounds like you need to let the battery get charged before attempting to go further.

Zen FAQ

Old 12-14-2008, 08:12 AM

its around 50 % now. This is what happens now. I press reloaded firmware. Yes, n then it says erasing firmware... and then start firmware update now! I plug it in and open the firmware program but it doesn't let me update.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:43 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I would first wait for a full charge.... This issue could be a ZVM or computer issue. Make sure that all of the Creative software is uninstalled. Also make sure your using a WinXP computer. Verify the the driver is installed and loading correctly in Device Manager. If it is, the try uninstalling and reinstalling the driver. This sometimes is what is needed to reset the detection.

Zen FAQ

Old 12-14-2008, 08:54 AM

can you give me a detailed instruction on how to reload firmware because I feel that I am doing something wrong. Do I also remove WMP?

Old 12-14-2008, 12:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

- Download the version of the firmware you are wanting to install (usually the latest version).

- Make sure the Zen has a full charge on the battery.

- Boot the ZVM into Recovery Mode and select Reload Firmware from the menu.

- Let the ZVM do its thing regarding erasing the currently installed firmware.

- When it then prompts to install the firmware, connect the ZVM to the computer.

- Verify that the driver has loaded correctly in Device Manager (no errors).

- Execute the downloaded firmware to install.

What version of WMP is installed? Is the driver loading fine now in Device Manager?

Zen FAQ

Old 12-14-2008, 12:29 PM

its loading fine. I can check it under my computers. Its detected as portable device. The computer can detect the ZVM but I don't know why the firmware doesn't!

Last edited by aznfool7; 12-14-2008 at 12:35 PM.

Old 12-14-2008, 12:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

What version of WMP is installed? Have you tried reloading the firmware now?

Zen FAQ

Old 12-14-2008, 12:37 PM

i have windows media player 11 and windows media format 11 runtime.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Do you have anything on the ZVM you don't have backed-up? If not, I would do a Format a couple of times in Recovery Mode before selecting the Reload Firmware option. Then connect and try executing the firmware app.

Zen FAQ

Old 12-14-2008, 08:44 PM

alright. I have reformatted a couple of times but i'll try again.

edit:

Just tried, Did not work.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ok.... I would try it all over agian, but this time, uninstall WMP11 and the runtimes (before you do, Uninstall the ZVM driver in Device Manager too). See here. Take note if it reverts back to WMP10 or WMP9 afterwards.

Zen FAQ

Old 12-15-2008, 08:55 PM

thanks, I'll test it out later. I need to deal with school work, SAT, and college stuff too >_<

Old 12-15-2008, 08:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

No problem. Let me know... Good luck with the school work!

Zen FAQ