android
Old 03-16-2008, 10:32 PM

Hi all,

I cannot seem to get the Zen Vision:M Media Explorer to open. I double click, and nothing happens. I've had this work for months previously, but I haven't transferred music to my player in quite some time, and now that I'm trying to add some new music, I can't!

I've tried the USB registry permissions change, fixup.cmd, installing the MTP Patch Kit (mtppk12.exe), upgrading to .NET 3.0, and uninstalling/reinstalling Media Explorer. I've tried two different USB cables. I've gone to the Recovery Manager and done Cleaup, and also reformat (ouch). Nothing. Fixup.cmd actually has made the MTP dialog box have one extra entry of garbage text, for instance
Code:
llill&.
using <NEED provider="">(need provider)
<NEED provider="">The other entries are "Transfer files using Windows Media Player", "Organize media files in this device using Creative Media Explorer" (clicking does nothing), or "Take no action".

Should I be able to open Media Explorer if my Zen is not plugged in? I can't remember. I'd expect it to say something like "No portable devices found" or something, but at least open.

Here's some other info. that might help you help me:
* Windows XP, SP2
* Zen Firmware v 1.61.01
* In the device manager, under "Windows Portable Devices", I do see "Creative Zen Vision:M"
* When plugged in, I do not see a "sync" screen. I do see the "charging" indicator in the upper right, which has now been replaced with a plug icon, I think indicating that it is fully charged.
However it's worth noting that in WMP 9 (I do not have WMP 10 or 11 installed. I like 9), if I go to "Copy to CC or Device", then I do see the "Docked" text with the familiar docked icon. And I also see all the menus I should ("My slideshows", "Pictures", "Music", "Video", etc.)
* If I open the Sync Manager, it says "No player connected". Even if it shows "docked" thanks to the above.

Help! I really want to use the Media Explorer, or at the very least the Sync manager. And this used to work...not sure what happened.

Look forward to hearing from you!</NEED></NEED>

OK, I bought a Sansa Clip player, and I'm having the same problem with it too. Any computer savvy people have any tips on how to fix?

Here's a screenshot of what pops up after device plugin:

Your help is MUCH appreciated!

Last edited by BobbyRS; 06-11-2008 at 11:39 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-11-2008, 11:13 PM

Don't know exactly if this will do it, but try uninstalling it and then reinstalling it.
IN ORDER OF CAPACITY: RioS30S 64kb/Sansa e130 512kb/iRiverT10 1gb/Sansa e260 4gb/iAudioU3 4gb*DOA/CowonD2 4gb*SOLD/iRiverClix2 8gb/SansaFuze 8gb/SamsungP2 8/iAudio7 16gb/CreativeZVM 30gb/CreativeZVM 60gb/iPodTouch 64gbgb/iPodVideo 80gb :

Old 06-11-2008, 11:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

That dialog box you are getting is the autorun box asking what action to take on the newly connected device.
<O</O

You really need at least WMP10 or WMP11 installed to get the OS MTP compatible. Preferably WMP11 to get fully MTP compliant for XP. You don't have to actually use WMP if you don't want, but you need it installed because the required Windows Media Framework for MTP is installed within it. The only reason you may be getting a decent connection/driver load and seeing it within My Computer as a Portable Device is because of the MTP legacy drivers (mtppk12.exe) you have installed. If you get MTP installed and working correctly, both devices should begin being detected and working properly, including any software used to detect them (Creative's, WMP, etc.).

Zen FAQ

Old 06-12-2008, 12:01 AM

Ahh, thanks! I've been avoiding WMP10 and WMP11 like the plague...holding out since I like WMP9 perfectly fine. However shortly after posting I came to realize that I might have to back down on this one.

So, is there any particular order I should install? From my web browsing I've found:
Media Transfer Protocol Enhanced Specification (MTP_Enhanced.exe)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

and
Media Transfer Protocol Porting Kit (mtppk12.exe)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...kInfoContainer

I suppose from your post that I should just install WMP11 and see how it goes from there?

Thanks for your help Bobby!

Old 06-12-2008, 12:09 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Install WMP11. This will give you the fullest MTP compatibility for your MTP devices. The MTP porting kit installs a generic MTP driver, but not the complete Windows Media Framework required.

Zen FAQ

Old 06-13-2008, 07:25 PM

WMP11 worked like a charm! Sweet!

But why would they put a required framework inside an application? Why not put it in the OS itself if it's so important? Sounds absolutely idiotic to me. But...this is MS we're talking about, so, I guess I should believe it.

Oh well, at least it works. Thanks VERY much for your help!

Old 06-14-2008, 10:45 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
WMP11 worked like a charm! Sweet!
Great to hear!

Quote:
But why would they put a required framework inside an application? Why not put it in the OS itself if it's so important? Sounds absolutely idiotic to me. But...this is MS we're talking about, so, I guess I should believe it.
It is natively supported in Vista. XP was out before the protocol/framework was released. Check out this for more information.

Quote:
Thanks VERY much for your help!
It's no problem. You're welcome .

Zen FAQ

Old 12-16-2008, 06:10 PM

unpocoloco, I have a Solution for you, I was the same problem and, I found a tool that fix the autorun entries: Cleanhandlers (actually V2.4), here de web: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/autoplayhandlers.htm, I use it, and it works for me!
De verdad que me sirvió, espero que te sirva a ti también.

Greetings,
pergamin.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The OP's problem was the lack of MTP and the Windows Media Framework to allow Windows to function correctly with the ZVM and not so much with autoplay handlers. However, thanks for the suggestion.

Zen FAQ