android
Old 12-17-2008, 11:00 PM

Default Pilot Disassembled

Here is the Pilot disassembled and few important pieces of the Pilot. High res pictures are available upon request.

[List][*] Lets start with the front, here you can see the wheel and the LCD screen.

[*] LCD Ribbon, as you can see the LCD is not an easily replaceable piece. I was pretty disappointed when I saw this.

[*] Back of the Pilot, the memory module is to the right, right above the SDHC card slot

[*] Would you look at this the memory is easily replaceable. This means that you should be able to take 4GB Pilot and put a 8GB memory module into it! I might be testing this and then selling my extra 8GB module

[List]

Here is my attempt at replacing the LCD, sorry here is my failed attempt at replacing the LCD:

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-18-2008, 01:12 AM

Soldered-on ribbon cables, ouch. Even if you got it off clean it'd be a pain to get back. Those little tabbed sockets I see in most devices today do a spectacular job of making them modular and easy to repair. That is if you count swapping components as repair, most intricate thing I've done is replace a small fuse.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Coffee View Post
Soldered-on ribbon cables, ouch. Even if you got it off clean it'd be a pain to get back. Those little tabbed sockets I see in most devices today do a spectacular job of making them modular and easy to repair. That is if you count swapping components as repair, most intricate thing I've done is replace a small fuse.
Yep agreed haha. Even if I removed the ribbon perfectly fine, soldering it back on would be a pain!

I've replaced LCD's on digital cameras plenty of times, and it was a breeze compared to this. I don't know why they decided to just go this route .

So right now I'm trying to figure out if I should buy another Pilot or look for a new player haha.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:14 PM

Okay, I will ask. Did the screen crap the bed or did you scratch it? Just curious. I know when I was little I would take crap apart for no reason and try to put it back together!! Usually it would work afterwords...never COULD figure out why so many screws leftover though....

Old 12-18-2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covertrussian View Post
So right now I'm trying to figure out if I should buy another Pilot or look for a new player haha.
It looks like Insignia won't be making any more players, nor releasing firmware updates for their current ones. There probably won't be any more support or replacements for the Pilot, so you might as well just get a new player.

It was nice looking at all the parts of the Pilot....technology is awesome

Old 12-18-2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbk View Post
Okay, I will ask. Did the screen crap the bed or did you scratch it? Just curious. I know when I was little I would take crap apart for no reason and try to put it back together!! Usually it would work afterwords...never COULD figure out why so many screws leftover though....
I bought a broken-screened one of eBay so that I could put my good screen from my broken USB/Bad Battery original pilot.

I used to take stuff apart when I was little too, most of the time it did make it together, but not always worked haha.

Maybe this is why I got into the IT field

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaruNinja View Post
It looks like Insignia won't be making any more players, nor releasing firmware updates for their current ones. There probably won't be any more support or replacements for the Pilot, so you might as well just get a new player.

It was nice looking at all the parts of the Pilot....technology is awesome
Yep that's the sad part... the thing is there is beta firmware for the Pilot, but I don't think it got past the beta test group

Thing is I don't really need it more then a decent music player to put music on and keep in my car. So for that reason I can't really use touch screens (as much as I want a D2). Plus if I'm getting a touch screen player it better have WIFI in it!

I might just buy a cheap Chinese eBay player

Old 12-30-2008, 01:12 PM

i wonder if someone can just hack a firmware or a new interface...

Old 01-02-2009, 03:51 AM

Default sticky screen protectors

to prevent scratches, I took one of the sticky touchscreen protectors I bought for my Palm T|X and cut it in half to make two for the Pilot.

firmware... sigh...
the NS-DV 1.9 beta firmware got posted on the Insignia website so any of their users could test it. i repeat... sigh...

Old 01-31-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:

Thing is I don't really need it more then a decent music player to put music on and keep in my car. So for that reason I can't really use touch screens (as much as I want a D2). Plus if I'm getting a touch screen player it better have WIFI in it!

I might just buy a cheap Chinese eBay player
Well, I hear apple is doing a lineup refresh this Summer, in case you want to wait. Rumors are that they're phasing out the 120gb classic and offering the Touch in 64gb flash (RIP Hard drive mp3 players). We'll see, I guess.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:17 PM

Bought a 4gb Pilot and have some bad news, it is not possible to use memory modules from 8GB on the 4gb. Looks like different firmware is present. The Pilot would not even turn on with the 8GB module.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:47 PM

Location: I travel a lot.. mainly between Morocco and Holland.

ok this sucks, kinda had high hopes for a while..

how about the Cowon S9, is it possible to upgrade from 16 to 32 gigs?

i hate to wait for Cowon to officialy release it u know.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rams View Post
ok this sucks, kinda had high hopes for a while..

how about the Cowon S9, is it possible to upgrade from 16 to 32 gigs?

i hate to wait for Cowon to officialy release it u know.
No SDHC card support so nope, sorry you'll have to wait hehe.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:36 AM

Default Notes on details of the Pilot disassembly.

1) To remove the battery cover, you have to remove the little screw near the bottom edge of the cover. It would be obvious, except that there is (unless it was previously removed) a small disc covering it that has to be removed first.

2) The white clip that attaches the battery to the logic board is removed by popping it away from the board, not sliding it.

3) To get beyond just removing and replacing the battery, you have to remove the front panel. To do this, you remove the two screws from each of the two side edges and the two screws near the edges on the back of the main plastic. You can then run your fingernail or a tool along the sides and the top edge to separate the front panel from the plastic which will still be holding the logic board.

4) There's a screw now visible at the top edge of the LCD. After removing it, you can manipulate the logic board out of the plastic. The edge of the logic board opposite the rocker switch (the thing with stars next to it) should probably come out first, and it may be necessary to pull back the plastic casing next to the rocker switch to provide enough clearance to avoid damaging that switch.

5) The memory board, which is near the top on the back side of the board, is held by a snap-in socket next to the rocker switch. I found that the easiest way to snap it off was to insert a small screwdriver deep into the space between the rocker switch and the card holder and jiggle it.

People with relevant experience may want to fine-tune the above instructions.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:46 AM

Default Logic board - memory module compatibility.

Quote:
Bought a 4gb Pilot and have some bad news, it is not possible to use memory modules from 8GB on the 4gb. Looks like different firmware is present. The Pilot would not even turn on with the 8GB module.
I have, among my disassembled Pilot parts, two 8GB and two 4GB modules. I have four logic boards, two of which don't work with either module. The board that's imprinted with "NS-xV24 REV 1.00" works* with and only with the 8GB modules, while the board that's imprinted with "NS-xV24 REV 1.20" works with and only with the 4GB modules.

I notice from the photos in covertrussian's original post that his 8GB Pilot had a REV 1.10 logic board, so the REV 1.00 board in his later photo is presumably from the 4GB Pilot he bought later. This would indicate that the REV number has nothing to do with which memory modules the board works with. Moreover, since the boards are labelled "NS-xV24" rather than "NS-4V24" or "NS-8V24", it seems that, indeed, "different firmware is present", and not different hardware.

The question is then, is it possible to reinstall the firmware to be compatible with one's choice of memory module?

* When I say "works", I mean that they mount as drives on my Mac. When they don't work, which is always the case when no memory module is present, my Mac sees the device only in its System Profiler, and as follows:
Composite Device:
Product ID: 0xb051
Vendor ID: 0x140e (Telechips, Inc.)
Version: 1.00
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
Location ID: 0x54530000
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 100
For comparison, here's how one mountable board-module combination shows up:
Insignia Pilot Player:
Capacity: 3.74 GB
Removable Media: Yes
Detachable Drive: Yes
BSD Name: disk3
Product ID: 0x0309
Vendor ID: 0x19ff
Version: 1.00
Serial Number: [32 hex digits]
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: Insignia
Location ID: 0x54530000
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 490
Mac OS 9 Drivers: No
Partition Map Type: Unknown
S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported

Old 12-18-2011, 05:44 PM

I have like 15 of these 4 & 8 gb insignia pilots. some are 100% fine but lcd doesn't show what is playing.

some need new wheel

some need driver, which I have but do not have windows 98.

WOULD LOVE TO SEE HOW TO SWITCH THESE PARTS AROUND, ANYONE HAVE PICS OR INFO?
THANKS
PATTI

Old 12-30-2011, 09:13 AM

My scroll wheel is starting to get wonky, anyone tried using some contact cleaner to see if that helps? Or is it just contacts wearing out rather than dirty contacts?

The battery is finally giving out as well. Given the scroll wheel behavior I don't know whether to get a battery replacement or not.

Have been looking around for a replacement player but am not impressed with what I see in the $100-150 price range. Some Sony players look ok but it seems you can only delete songs/video via computer. The Sansa Fuze+ is the only other thing I see in the price range and I don't like the interface but if I give up on the Pilot that may be what I buy... unless someone has a better idea.