android
Old 12-02-2008, 11:58 PM

Default disappointed with Cowon O2 video DiVX playback

Cowon O2 loses audio sync on most of my video files
<hr style="color: rgb(134, 155, 191); background-color: rgb(134, 155, 191);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> Just received the Cowon O2 on 02 DEC 2008.

I am quite disappointed since it was purported to play almost any video file thrown at it.

Before the haters come at me, be advised I installed the latest Firmware v1.11. Also, I have been using computers since the Commodore 64 days, went the the fun of learning to edit and create *.sys and *.bat files for DOS, I program with MS Access, am fluent with Adobe CS3, and have been authoring video content with Sony Vegas and Ahead Nero for years.

I use DVDNextCopy2 to rip DVDs to my hard drive (since I live in the USA my understanding is that the Milennium Act allows me to have one backup copy of digital media I purchase). Then I use a registered copy of DiVX to convert the *.vob files to DivX. Sometimes the DiVX files lose audio sync so I use Nero Ultra 8 to convert the *.vob files to MPG2, then use DiVX to convert them DivX.

Regardless of how I end up with DiVX files, they are always played back in full audio sync with the DiVX player on my PC.

However, most of these files loose audio sync when played on the Cowon O2. I have submitted a trouble ticket to Cowon and am awaiting their reply, will post results here.

For nearly $300.00 (US) which is nearly half the price of a somewhat decent laptop computer these days, I would expect the Cowon O2 to play DiVX files flawlessly since that is all it does...play media files, it does not have to contend with the limitations of an MS OS, or load all the drivers of a PC.

Anyone have any thoughts or similar experience?

Craig Knapp
craig.knapp1@us.army.mil
<!-- / message --> <!-- controls --> [/URL]

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-03-2008, 09:05 AM
Contributing Editor

there have been a couple issues with video on the o2. From what I hear, Cowon is working on it and should have it taken care of in a firmware update.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:19 AM

Maybe you could try to upgrade to 1.14b?

Old 12-03-2008, 09:54 AM

use global updates for your player not just US site ones, and select your language as english orw/e if needed.
Cowon A3 30g (working just fine)
Cowon O2 32gb /w 8gb SD Card(brand new hooray)

Old 12-03-2008, 10:21 AM

I believe v1.14 is a Beta version...I tend to shy away from Beta verssions..waiting for the Gold.

Craig Knapp

Old 12-03-2008, 10:23 AM

Well... every firmware Cowon releases is "beta", they just tend to slap that label arbitrarily on some versions, but not on others...

On the D2 and X5 some "beta" versions were actually more stable and useful than so-called "final" ones.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:27 AM

03DEC2008 1123HRS local

Interesting, but after I hooked up the O2 to my 60 inch TV, the DivX files started playing in full audio sync. I thought perhaps it played the files differently when connected to via TV Out, but when I unhooked the O2 from the TV the files continued to play with audio and video sync'd. I have no idea why this happened but the player is working better now.

The only issue I have now is that the O2 was supposed to display *.doc and *.pdf files, but I notice that there is an * near these format listings on the Cowon site. Turns out you have to get some CSD software, and convert the files, Cowon does not offer this software on their site. I googled CSD and immmediately lost interest. I don't think they should claim it can read *.doc and *.pdf files unless the O2 could do it natively without conversion.

Craig Knapp
craig.knapp1@us.army.mil

Old 12-03-2008, 01:02 PM

just keep in mind with cowon, as stated in many other threads, the initial firmware you receive is basically beta firmware or worse, updating firmware on your player = needed as far as they go as they tend to magically put things that should have been there in with updates on firmware
Cowon A3 30g (working just fine)
Cowon O2 32gb /w 8gb SD Card(brand new hooray)

Old 12-04-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigknapp1 View Post
Cowon O2 loses audio sync on most of my video files
<hr style="color: rgb(134, 155, 191); background-color: rgb(134, 155, 191);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> Just received the Cowon O2 on 02 DEC 2008.

I am quite disappointed since it was purported to play almost any video file thrown at it.

Before the haters come at me, be advised I installed the latest Firmware v1.11. Also, I have been using computers since the Commodore 64 days, went the the fun of learning to edit and create *.sys and *.bat files for DOS, I program with MS Access, am fluent with Adobe CS3, and have been authoring video content with Sony Vegas and Ahead Nero for years.

I use DVDNextCopy2 to rip DVDs to my hard drive (since I live in the USA my understanding is that the Milennium Act allows me to have one backup copy of digital media I purchase). Then I use a registered copy of DiVX to convert the *.vob files to DivX. Sometimes the DiVX files lose audio sync so I use Nero Ultra 8 to convert the *.vob files to MPG2, then use DiVX to convert them DivX.

Regardless of how I end up with DiVX files, they are always played back in full audio sync with the DiVX player on my PC.

However, most of these files loose audio sync when played on the Cowon O2. I have submitted a trouble ticket to Cowon and am awaiting their reply, will post results here.

For nearly $300.00 (US) which is nearly half the price of a somewhat decent laptop computer these days, I would expect the Cowon O2 to play DiVX files flawlessly since that is all it does...play media files, it does not have to contend with the limitations of an MS OS, or load all the drivers of a PC.

Anyone have any thoughts or similar experience?

Craig Knapp
craig.knapp1@us.army.mil
<!-- / message --> <!-- controls --> [/url]
hey there craigknapp1 i have the player for about over week now and i havent had any problems reads ever format with new update firmware even x264 .. just compatibily slow issues .. but im sure cowon can fix this with future updates

but playing back avc and xvids and ogm files have no problems .. as far as sync issues everything perfect on my end .. love this device watch my tv to go.. and always up to date thanx cowon

also i have used variety of formats throw at cowon o2 and all played fine just x264 mkv files at 1280 x 720 would play slow ..but im not complaining ...

i manily bought this device for video nothing else

Old 12-04-2008, 10:59 AM

I got mine today, no sync issues with regular AVI files at all. Neither with the former 1.09 nor the new 1.14b I slapped on it.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:23 PM

Default Hope You Enjoyed It For That Day LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
I got mine today, no sync issues with regular AVI files at all. Neither with the former 1.09 nor the new 1.14b I slapped on it.
so atleast your happy about that :P

im using 1.11 firmware i have no issues maybe those firmware u using is bugging .. consern to the click noise in playing back tracks

anyway i hope you dont sell it ... i would give it chance see if cowon cares for there customers... anyway ciao

Old 12-10-2008, 07:25 PM

What?

Well, the O2 is abysmal compared to any other player's usability I've tried so far. But I will review it, no matter what.

Old 12-19-2008, 04:16 AM

first of all I'm not really technical with software and related words

My problem is that the two avi movies I played have problems with the audio/video allignment. Video walks behind on audio. But when I watch a divx movie there's no problem. I've tried all firmware versions. Should I convert the avi's with Jet Audio, or won't it help me at all. Another critical point is that the divx video kinda shocks sometimes, like the cowon can't handle it.

Who can help me out

Greets