android
Old 07-19-2008, 05:12 AM

Help Fault Zen Vision M - strange logo on screen

Hi. I have a 30mb Zen Vision M. Been using it fine for ages and not it has developed a fault.

When you plug it into a mains charger or a usb port the screen displays are picture of the player and a warning triangle with an exclamation mark in it. (all in white).

Anybody any ideas on what this means and how I can resolve it so I can get the player to switch on.

Kevin

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-19-2008, 10:37 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello kevinr. Welcome.

That screen you are getting usually refers to a hardware fault with the player. It could really be a number of things really. Does the player function correctly when not connected to a computer or charging? Since it is doing it when plugging into the USB port or AC charger, I am thinking it may be an issue with maybe the charging circuit, ROM, or something else on the mainboard.... but let's not rule out the hard drive.

Try booting into Recovery Mode and doing a Cleanup to see if this may resolve an issue with the database or filesystem of the hard drive. If that doesn't seem to help, try reloading the firmware.

Good luck!

Zen FAQ

Old 07-19-2008, 05:30 PM

Hi, and thanks for the reply. The player won't work at all. It just won't switch on. I have tried the instructions in the "recovery mode" and when you release the reset button the logo i described above reappeared.

Regards

Old 07-19-2008, 08:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Maybe try an open it up to disconnect the hard drive to see if the ZVM boots into Recovery Mode then. Also, while you have it open, You can try just reseating the hard drive and battery connection in case they man be loose. These should help:

Here is the ABI disassembly guide.
Here is a video of a disassembly.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-20-2008, 01:46 PM

Tried that and still no luck

Old 07-20-2008, 05:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Sounds like a fatal fault on the motherboard. That kind of screen only comes up if something in the player fails POST. Since you've disconnected the hard drive and still have this screen coming up, and since it comes up even when trying to access Recovery Mode, the problem is definitely something on the player's motherboard.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
I am thinking it may be an issue with maybe the charging circuit, ROM, or something else on the mainboard....
Since you have tried re-seating the connections, it appears as though you may need a new mainboard. I would check out either returning to Creative for repair or buying an as-is ZVM off of EBay and do a mainboard swap.

Zen FAQ

Old 12-24-2008, 10:49 AM

Unhappy Screen stays the same...

Hellooo there, recently saw this site and it looked like you could help me out here..

I recently came home after a few days and left my zen, its batt was dead. I recharged it, but now there is a screen with a sillohuette of the zen with a triangular sign in front with an exclamation mark in it, and nothing changes it, not resetting or anything. I cant access recovery mode, cant connect to a pc, cant do anything.All there is is this screen... Creative's site couldnt help me, does anyone know whats wrong????

Old 12-24-2008, 11:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Welcome fezmundo. You may want to check out post 2 in this thread.

Thread merged with exiting thread.

Zen FAQ