android
Old 12-24-2008, 06:07 PM

Default Player Not Remembering Where It Left Off

I'm having a new issue with my zen that I've had for several months now and never had a problem with before.

Lately when I turn it on, I find it's not where it stopped when I turned it off. It's 20 or 30 minutes ahead of where I left it and I have to rewind and go back, etc.

It's not a huge deal but it is a bit of a pain in the butt, having to remember where I left off and then backtrack.

Anyone heard of this? Have any idea how to fix it?

Or worse- is this the beginning of the end for my player?

Is this the start of an inevitable decline?

Any input anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-24-2008, 06:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Make sure you have the latest firmware version installed on the Zen. There was a firmware release that addressed this issue specifically.

Zen FAQ

Old 12-24-2008, 06:39 PM

would that be the firmware marked 1.21.01?

It doesn't say anything about that specific problem, but should I assume that if the problem was addressed in a previous firmware that the newest one will still fix it?

Old 12-24-2008, 07:02 PM

I just upgraded and then it was stuck in recovery mode and if i tried to reboot I got "firmware problem."

I reinstalled the firmware again and this time it seemed to work- but not before I lost all the content on the player.

Then when I went to add new content, I got a message telling me that mp3 is not a recognizable format.

It looks and acts the same as it always did- except I can't actually put mp3s on it.

Which kinda sucks, since it's an mp3 player.

Help?

P.S. I edited this post to remove the annoying sarcasm it contained when I initially posted it yesterday. I was upset and slightly snarky and today in the cool light of reason I realize that that helps no one. So for those who read it- sorry about that.

Last edited by nrfuller; 12-25-2008 at 10:40 AM. Reason: cause i'm a moron

Old 12-26-2008, 10:30 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfuller View Post
would that be the firmware marked 1.21.01?
No, it was one of the first couple firmware releases after the Zen came out.

Quote:
It doesn't say anything about that specific problem, but should I assume that if the problem was addressed in a previous firmware that the newest one will still fix it?
That's ok. The latest firmware should also have the previous fixes from other firmware versions released prior too.

Zen FAQ

Old 12-26-2008, 10:37 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I just upgraded and then it was stuck in recovery mode and if i tried to reboot I got "firmware problem."
Stuck in Recovery Mode still indicates the firmware didn't install correctly or is missing.

Quote:
I reinstalled the firmware again and this time it seemed to work- but not before I lost all the content on the player.
Your files should still be there. The firmware partition shouldn't mess with the files on the data partition.

Quote:
Then when I went to add new content, I got a message telling me that mp3 is not a recognizable format.
Sounds like the firmware or filesystem is still corrupt.

I would try reloading the firmware again from within Recovery Mode. If you still have problems after installing (with no errors), then you may have a filesystem/database issue that only a Format will correct. In this case, you will loose all files. BUT that shouldn't be an issue since you should always have a copy/backup of your files on the computer anyway.

Zen FAQ

Old 12-26-2008, 11:56 AM

Ah, thank you kindly for the info, I appreciate it. Somewhere during the firmware upgrade process I must have formatted the player because those files are gone, gone, gone.

But interestingly enough, just for grins I decided to wait a few hours, restart my computer (never hurts) and try again to put files on the player. And this time- it took them. So I loaded up the player with files (which but of course, are backed up) and now everything seems okay. I'm not sure WHY it wouldn't take the files the first time I tried but I guess all that matters is that it's decided to take them now.

I'm a little worried that somehow the firmware upgrade did fail and that my player is now a ticking timebomb, but since it seems to be working okay- I don't think I'll rock the boat by trying again to upgrade that firmware again.

Thanks again for all the help, it's greatly appreciated!

Old 12-26-2008, 12:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
So I loaded up the player with files (which but of course, are backed up)
Great!

Quote:
Thanks again for all the help, it's greatly appreciated!
No problem. Good to hear. Enjoy!

Zen FAQ