android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen Vision:M

Old 12-12-2008, 11:26 PM

Wink new hard drive old one died wont take to firmware install

I need help. My wife dropped my zen on the concrete, and the hardrive started clicking, so i took it apart and pulled the sk3008gal toshiba out of it. and bought a used one from a computer store that is guaranteed for 30 days. I just installed it and it was a good start, i heard the drive spinning, no clicking, but when i go to install firmware it reboots sucessfully but past the big letter zen screen it just goes black and stays black. until the battery dies. so i restart it and does the same. So im forced to hit the reset and go to the support screen and try to keep deleting the firmware and reload it but same stuff. and it says am i sure i to delete the same hardware im fixing to install so it says the firmware is there in my zen. I guess there could be something else wrong besides the harddrive. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-13-2008, 06:30 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Welcome wheredjarego. What hard drive did you get specifically? Make sure you do a Format a couple times before trying to load the firmware. This will prepare the filesystem to be able to install the firmware. Check out this thread for known working hard drives for replacement.

Zen FAQ

Old 12-14-2008, 03:18 PM

Yeah, I did format disk several times all seeming sucessful before installing firmware. In the recovery screen it says i have the new firmware. But it just goes black after the ZEN screen.
My Zen vision m Had a mk3008gal original . Thats the same one i replace it with. It should work. Do you know if the hard drive takes over after the big ZEN screen comes up after power on? Thanks

Old 12-14-2008, 09:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm wondering if there is another hardware issue..... Can you leave the hard drive disconnected and then try to boot up and see if it freezes on the same spot?

Zen FAQ

Old 12-15-2008, 05:26 PM

Yeah, i Unhooked the harddrive and it freezes at the same point as it does with the harddrive hooked up, After the big ZEN screen just a plain black lit screen with nothing on it. I thought maybe the harddrive tookover from that spot but possibly not,anyone know? What else could be wrong?
I know the original harddrive was bad because it was making that horrible clicking noise . Maybe there is more wrong with it then just that. This is frustrating . Any suggestions?

Old 12-15-2008, 06:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Perhaps, there may be more wrong as a result of the drop then just the hard drive..... The process behind the Creative logo screen is the bootloader and the loading of the Recovery Mode if called upon. The process behind the Zen logo screen is the loading of the firmware/OS. Since the firmware is stored on the hard drive, it makes sense to suspect the hard drive if the ZVM is freezing on or after the Zen logo screen.

Zen FAQ

Old 12-26-2008, 08:02 PM

I had a similar but not exact problem. I had to replace my hard drive because it started clicking and producing hard drive failure errors. The player worked just fine for about two days after installing the new hard drive. On the third day, the player started booting into the recovery mode again. I was able to cleanup, format and erase the firmware. However, the reinstallation of the firware would repeatedly fail. I opened the case to check the connections but found no issues. After hours of frustration, I just left the player connected to my machine for a day. Earlier today, I tried reloading the firware again but received the failure again. Tonight, I reformatted the drive again and tried reinstalling the firmware. It is working now. I am now synching the player. I can only assume that the motherboard is going on this thing. That will be my next line of repair if it happens again.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Welcome luvwarmth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvwarmth View Post
I can only assume that the motherboard is going on this thing. That will be my next line of repair if it happens again.
Perhaps....or the hard drive used as the replacement is going bad as well. Stranger things have happened.

Zen FAQ