android
Old 10-13-2008, 01:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToJa92 View Post
How does this recovery mode works? Can you access files on it and such? Or will it just remove everything from your zen and remove firmware?
You may want to check out this thread and the Zen FAQ for more information.

Zen FAQ

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-13-2008, 02:51 PM

Thanks, too bad their isn't a mode to access the disk directly ( I.E. possible access to system files =) )

Old 10-13-2008, 03:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

No problem. For a more descriptive and detailed idea as to how the Zen's OS/FileSystem is structured, check out these threads here and here. Anyway, lets get back to the new firmware discussion.

Zen FAQ

Old 10-20-2008, 03:16 AM

I tried with a couple of creative earphones (look like the stock ones) and I have three bars reception. But it does find more "scrap" (buzzy) stations than with my philips one (those are active noise reduction ones).

Old 10-21-2008, 05:35 PM

Hi first ever post, so, briefly off topic, thanks SO much for all the great info on this site - it has smoothed my path to enjoying my x-fi very much. Back on topic, i have been using the upgraded firmware for about a week now.

Sound quality - no difference that i can notice - possibly a bit quieter if anything, but i upgraded using Europe, and my player was sourced in asia. I still often listen on setting 1 tho if i am in a quiet place, so no biggie. The x-fi setting still works where i liked it before, and i prefer it off where i preffered it off before too.

Radio - possibly a bit more sensitive - when i re-scanned after installing the firmware i got 5 rather than 3 stations - reception is good, but then it was before-hand too.

Random play problem (where the player repeats the track just paid) - gone! Hooray!! I 've prob listened to about 15 hours of random play since the upgrade, and no repeated track, tho (as ever) some seem to feature more frequently than others.

Video - no discernable difference, tho i had sorted the probs with sound and images being out of sync by following the advice on other threads in this forum - thanks BobbyRS :-)

Perhaps my most helpful input is about the actual firmware upgrade. I had problems. After installing the upgrade, my computer could not see any on the songs or playlists on the player, no matter if i used Creatice Centrale, My Computer, of WMP. I reset the player - no joy. I used the Creative MP3 Recovery tool from their web-site to re-install the firmware upgrade - no joy. i reset the player and rebooted the computer. No joy. THEN, I put the X-FI into recover mode (following the link from Bobby RS, above) selected clean-up, then rebooted the player - Result. All the songs were once more recognised by the computer. No need to re-format the player. However, I would suggest that BEFORE installing this firmware upgrade you may wish to back-up all your songs to your hard disk, just in case.

All in all - the firmware is worth installing just because of the fix for the random play song-repeat issue, imho. Later... :-)

Old 10-27-2008, 10:21 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToJa92 View Post
I tried with a couple of creative earphones (look like the stock ones) and I have three bars reception. But it does find more "scrap" (buzzy) stations than with my philips one (those are active noise reduction ones).
Ok, thanks for checking.... From what I've read, it seems like it does help reception a little, but not much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackswood View Post
thanks BobbyRS :-)
No problem. Welcome hackswood! Enjoy the Zen.

Zen FAQ

Old 10-29-2008, 04:24 PM

One question about random play. Does the player keep stats on playcount, so that if you were to play a large playlist at random, play something else and come back to it, songs were played previously won't be played until all the other songs are played.

Or is that asking too much?

Old 10-29-2008, 04:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Check out this thread.

Zen FAQ

Old 12-30-2008, 07:40 PM

I can hear a slight improvement of the sound quality with crystaliser ON.

I can no longer change any settings of the EQ. Well I can, without any effect on the sound irrespective of x-fi switched ON or OFF.

No other "positive"? observations so far.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:39 AM

I can change the EQ and notice a good diference, when the x-fi is off!
Besides, when I change the costum equalizer, I need to select another preset, and them choose the costum equalizer to notice a difference in sound. Is it a bug?

Old 12-31-2008, 01:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovesky View Post
I can change the EQ and notice a good diference, when the x-fi is off!
Yes, I think this is how must hear it as well.... with the X-Fi enhancements off I mean.

Quote:
Besides, when I change the costum equalizer, I need to select another preset, and them choose the costum equalizer to notice a difference in sound. Is it a bug?
I don't think it is a bug as much as I think that each preset may be such a different setting, that when changed all at once, it is easier to hear the changes.

Zen FAQ

Old 01-01-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
I don't think it is a bug as much as I think that each preset may be such a different setting, that when changed all at once, it is easier to hear the changes.

The same thing happens if I modify the custom EQ, change it to EQ off (X-FI also off), and then change it once again to custom EQ.

I noticed a good difference when doing radical modifications in the EQ, like putting +12 Db on 80Hz and then -12 Db.
I just noticed the difference when changing or turning off the EQ.

Old 01-01-2009, 02:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
The same thing happens if I modify the custom EQ, change it to EQ off (X-FI also off), and then change it once again to custom EQ.
Yes, this has been discussed before in the other Zen forums. The Zen's have been like this for some time. Creative' still hasn't addressed this.

Quote:
I noticed a good difference when doing radical modifications in the EQ, like putting +12 Db on 80Hz and then -12 Db.
I just noticed the difference when changing or turning off the EQ.
Yes, but once the EQ is on, it gets harder (at least me me) to tell any difference in changes unless they're drastic.

Best bet..... leave the EQ and bass boost off and get good headphones.

Zen FAQ

Old 01-01-2009, 04:42 PM

Good solution

Old 01-02-2009, 11:36 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes. I would always address the headphone issue first before relying on any kind of EQ/Sound Enhancements. I think many will find that is all they need.

Zen FAQ

Old 01-18-2009, 01:31 PM

hi everyone, well its not just mine then.. jeez x-fi's are full of glitches got my 8gb just before xmas, & having crash probs with centrale software, have same problems deleting albums needed to format and re sync the whole thing . wishing that I'd done alot more reserch before I bought this.. I'm pretty dissapointed got to say
ps anyone else's 4 corner buttons not illuminated as mine never have been working, gonna take it back to the shop maybe try for a refund proberbly end up them sending it off for repair thought .. marks out of ten ? .. big fat zilch from me
looks sweet but no good waste of good money .. could be starting the anything but x-fi . com next

Old 01-18-2009, 09:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

What player is glitch-free these days.... Don't confuse computer issues or the extremely buggy Creative software as glitches with the Zen X-Fi specifically. Although the Zen X-Fi is fairly new, many players take some time after being released to get "dialed-in" with firmware releases after being first released. The Zen X-Fi has had and still has a few bugs that really need to be addressed and hopefully Creative can get them worked out.

Two other things to keep in mind are that most people post when they have problems, so forums like this can be overrun by posters who are having issues they need assistance with, portraying many players as to be more problematic than good. Also, there are always defective players with every brand as well. Many times when people do purchase a player and it is defective (recognized or not) in some way, they often take the view point that it is like that with all other same modeled players; not allowing them to form an opinion based upon a 100% functioning and defect-free player.

With that said, if the Zen X-Fi is not performing to your satisfaction or is defective in any way, by all means try to return it for a replacement or refund. Just don't make an assumption that all Zen X-Fi's are this way or that everyone here feels the same. There is no need to start off with your first post bashing a particular product. This is how flamewars get started. Having an opinion and expressing it is fine, but please do so with consideration towards others.

Now before you say of course I'm going to feel this way because I'm the Creative Mod, please know that I do not really care for the Zen X-Fi in general and I too feel like it was released prematurely. I just wanted to make the points above so that everyone can consider them to help differentiate between what can truly be bad and someone's opinion that may not actually end up being the same as theirs.

Zen FAQ

Old 01-19-2009, 01:32 PM

I m very satisfied in every way with my Zen X-FI

Old 01-21-2009, 09:59 PM

Due to my experience with the firmware (1.04.08) update I can not recommend it. Before the update my videos played perfectly on my unit, after the update the video starts off fine but then as it continues or if one decides to fast forward the image and voice go out of sync. This is just so very annoying and frustrating.

I have tried to reinstall the movies/videos and the problem still persists. I have also tried to change with the video formats again no success.

I would like to know if:

1)Anyone have a suggestion on how I can solve this problem?
and/or
2)How I can uninstall the latest firmware and go back to the previous one?

Any help will be most appreciated.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:10 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM09 View Post
Due to my experience with the firmware (1.04.08) update I can not recommend it. Before the update my videos played perfectly on my unit, after the update the video starts off fine but then as it continues or if one decides to fast forward the image and voice go out of sync. This is just so very annoying and frustrating.
This is the progressive sync issue that the new Zen and Zen X-Fi suffers from regardless of which firmware is installed. Are you certain that you did not have this problem before upgrading to this firmware version?

Quote:
1)Anyone have a suggestion on how I can solve this problem?
See this thread for more information.

Quote:
2)How I can uninstall the latest firmware and go back to the previous one?
Boot into Recovery Mode and select the Reload firmware option. Then, when prompted, connect to the computer and execute the firmware version you would like to install.

Zen FAQ