android
Old 06-20-2008, 08:38 AM

Default New 8GB Pilot and mp3 podcast autoresuming

I just recently purchased the 8GB Pilot at Bestbuy. 4GB would've been plenty for me as I mainly only want to use it for podcasts but obviously paying more for a 4GB than the 8GB on sale wouldn't have made sense now would it?

Anyway I digress. One of the reasons I settled on this device is that I wanted a bluetooth mp3 player since my head unit in my car has the A2DP bluetooth profile and very nice it sounds too. I like to listen to podcasts on the way to work and as it's only 20 minutes or so each way, the lower battery life with the bluetooth activated doesn't really bother me as long as it's not just 30 minutes!

The other main one was a device that had per file auto resume. Sure it has bookmarks which are a nice backup but you have to remember to do that each time, so I prefer auto resume for single podcasts. I had the ipod nano that did this and it worked well. No bookmarking facility but I didn't need it with per file autoresume. The problem is, that while in the store, the autoresume worked with the sample files on the Pilot it had on it, yet it didn't at home and I then realised it was because the sample files were all audible book samples and there was no autoresume on regular mp3 files which got me annoyed such that I immediately thought of returning it and going back to an ipod nano since few other mp4 players seem to have this feature.

Anyway I found this forum and read a post or two saying that placing the mp3 files in the audible folder without any sub folders will then allow autoresume on regular mp3 files. Is this an undocumented 'feature'? Anyway I noticed it didn't work, at least the way I would've thought that it should. I would skip one track to the next and sure enough the audible files all remembered their files but the mp3 ones would reset as normal. Again I was about to give up until I noticed that the mp3 files would only remember their place if I hit the menu button and went back in via the audible icon. If I went back via the now playing it would reset again but the audible books wouldn't. Now I am of course talking about when the files are paused since while playing they will not reset but obviously then it would be pretty stupid design if they did.

So is this how the autoresume works with regular mp3 files? It seems an awkward way to do it since if you forget and go back via the regular music menus or just decide to listen to another file in the meantime using the track buttons you'll end up with a reset file each time. It almost seems like they implemented auto resume for audible files only and the fact it works on mp3 files is just a lucky feature since I would've thought it should work exactly the same way if it was an intentional feature!

One final thing, I have noticed that if I am playing one of those mp3 podcasts from the audible folder and turn the unit off, the display will go all garbled like an old Analog TV between stations. It doens't do it on the audible files in the same folder or mp3 files outside the audible folder. It does it everytime for any mp3s in the audible folder and only when they are playing. Anyone else notice this? It seems like a bug rather than a problem with the device but I want to make sure that it isn't a sign that the unit is actually defective.

Anyway sorry for my long first post, but any comments appreciated!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-22-2008, 09:55 AM

I take it that not many here use their mp3 player for podcasts then?

Old 06-22-2008, 10:14 AM

Not necessarily, I think what you are seeing is a low traffic/volume forum. You need to give it about 5 days or so to see if your post resonates with a Pilot user.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:12 PM

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking, but my 8GB Pilot resumes MP3 files in the music folder just fine. If I shut it off in the middle of a podcast, it starts playing where it left off when I turn it on.

That garbled screen thing just started happening to me after my last download. Wierd. Worked perfectly for the first week, and just started that today.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:39 AM

Sorry if I came across a bit terse, it wasn't my intention so I apologize

Yes mine will also resume mp3 files if I turn it off and back on but that is not what I meant. What I mean is, if I decide to listen to a music track for instance while in the middle of a podcast, it will then reset the podcast back to the start when I return to it. I can get get a mp3 podcast to remember its place as long as I place it in the audible folder and press the menu button to exit to listen to other mp3 files. I then have to go back via the audible icon and select the appropriate file where it resumes its place.

If I listen to a podcast in the audible folder, press the track forward or back button to listen to a different mp3 podcast or an audible book, and then go back to the original podcast it is then reset to the start. This behaviour does not happen with audible books so I am baffled as to why they didn't make mp3 files work this way too. This is the only bug fix that I want them to include in any new firmware.

Oh another bug with the video I came across is that I found a couple of my videos suddenly started either stuttering every time or playing double speed, even after turning on and off. The only thing I can think of that I did before this was to delete another video file. Has anyone else had a similar thing happen? This is a bit disconcerting that just by deleting a file it seems to somehow corrupt playback on some of the video files.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:35 AM

rgvmp3, you asked if this was an undocumented feature, and I just thought I'd add that there's a section about this from the manual.

Under the section "Automatically bookmarking mp3 books" it talks about just putting your mp3's in the audible directory. It then adds that you should access these through the Audible menu rather than the Music Library menu.

I have to say, I *love* this feature. Combined with the accelerating fast-forward and rewind, this is the best mp3 player on the market, imho.

And I hadn't thought about using this feature for podcasts, but now I will. Thanks for the idea, rgvmp3!

- Brian Q.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blehmann View Post
rgvmp3, you asked if this was an undocumented feature, and I just thought I'd add that there's a section about this from the manual.

Under the section "Automatically bookmarking mp3 books" it talks about just putting your mp3's in the audible directory. It then adds that you should access these through the Audible menu rather than the Music Library menu.

I have to say, I *love* this feature. Combined with the accelerating fast-forward and rewind, this is the best mp3 player on the market, imho.

And I hadn't thought about using this feature for podcasts, but now I will. Thanks for the idea, rgvmp3!

- Brian Q.
As long as you don't navigate within the audible folder itself. Like I say, audible books seem to hold their place, while mp3 files will reset to the beginning if you forget and do this. It seems odd that mp3 files don't behave the same way. But at least it's better than nothing I suppose!

Old 06-23-2008, 02:04 PM

Alright, I think I spoke too soon about mp3 auto resume in the Audible folder. Rgvmp3, could you help me? Here's what happens to me:

I've got File & Folder setup on the 8 GB Pilot. I've put about 5 different mp3 files, all podcasts, into the Audible directory right alongside my Audible books, via Windows XP. My Audible files all have a .aa file extension, and each one also has a .pos file (I assume this is a "position" file).

When I disconnect my Pilot from my pc, it boots up fine. If I go to the Menu --> Audible Books, my podcasts aren't there. I can, however, play them through Menu --> Music Library and Menu --> Folder Browser.

While playing, I then pause. Then I play something else. Then I play them again through Music Library or Folder Browser, but my podcasts start at the beginning. They are still not listed in my Audible Books option.

When I plug my Pilot back into my pc, the podcast mp3 files are still where I left them. None of them have .pos files to go along with them, although I'm not sure if they're supposed to.

1) Am I putting them in the right place? Right alongside my Audible books, which play just fine, in the Audible directory that was already there with the sample books when I bought it?
2) Are you able to play them through the Menu --> Audible Books option?
3) What am I doing wrong?

- Brian Q.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:36 PM

As far as I can tell from reading your post, you are doing it right. I just place the mp3 files in the existing Audible directory and once I disconnect the Pilot and select the Audible icon from the menu, it will show those files along with my audible books. Like you, only the audible files will show an additional .pos file. Now I assuming that you have not placed the podcasts in a subfolder as it will not show them if that is the case.

As you are finding, there is no true autoresume on mp3 files unless you only play them from the audible icon list.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:40 PM

Hmm. I don't know why they aren't showing up in my "Audible Books" option. They are not in a subfolder, and I don't know of anything else that might affect their showing up. That's a shame, too, since this would have made listening to podcasts so much easier. I've got a 15 minute commute, so I generally don't bother listening to podcasts longer than that. This feature would have made those podcasts listenable for short commutes.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:47 PM

Out of interest what firmware version does yours list? Mine says 1.006 Sep 19 2007 although I imagine it should be the same as they haven't released any updates since it first went on sale right? At least I haven't seen any older or newer firmwares on their support site. From the sounds of what I have been reading they don't seem to be in any hurry either.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:54 PM

Yep, that's my firmware version as well. I just got it a week ago, so that makes sense.

I'll try it with a few more mp3's and if I get anything to work, I'll post it again here.

- Brian Q.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:59 PM

Out of interest my commute is also about 15-20 minutes which is why autoresume is very important. Bookmarks will work in a pinch but with proper per file autoresume you don't need them as I found when I had an ipod nano. Of course the ipod nano didn't have bluetooth A2DP profile connection for my Car Stereo plus the Insignia is a Bargain for it's features as long as the bugs don't get in the way.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:09 PM

This is an old thread, but I just fixed the issue I was having. I (finally) went in and deleted all the internal data (via the Settings - System - Erase Internal Memory) and then resetting the folder structure (via the Settings - System - Reset Settings). That seemed to do the trick, and now my mp3 podcasts and audiobooks autoresume just as they should.

Of course, I did this all after backing up all my data.

And btw, here I am 7 months later and I'm still in love with my Pilot. The best $90 I've ever spent, and it shows no signs of slowing down.

- Brian Q.

Tags
podcast autoresume mp3