android
Old 12-25-2008, 12:23 AM

Default Archos 605 Screen vs. Cowon O2 Screen

--Deleted-- Comparison Below

Last edited by bdroc; 01-04-2009 at 12:38 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-29-2008, 11:44 PM

--Deleted-- Comparison Below

Last edited by bdroc; 01-04-2009 at 12:39 PM.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:36 PM

Default RESULTS ARE IN...hooray...

SCREEN COMPARISON RESULTS (FOR ANYONE WHO ACTUALLY CARES)

Archos 605 vs. Cowon O2 (winner displayed in bold)

BUILD QUALITY: ARCHOS - The Archos 605's screen is glare resistant, fingerprint resistant, scratch resistant, and non-glossy. At least I haven't seemed to have scratched my Cowon yet. Good thing it is protected by all of the dust and fingerprint residue that it attracts...
RESOLUTION: ARCHOS - the 605's 800x480 makes low resolutions blurry, which is considerably better than pixelated. Higher resolutions still looks pixelated on the Cowon O2, but look stunning on the Archos. SIDENOTE: Due to a lower resolution, battery life on the Cowon is much better. I actively worried about the battery dying on my Archos, but with my Cowon, I barely even take note of what the battery shows me. Not to mention you have to lug another dock around just to get a decently fast AC Adapter charge for the Archos. Points for Cowon, but there should be a better compromise...650x348?
RESOLUTION SUPPORT: TIE - The highest resolution that I can play with the 605 is 748x422 (Wide). With Dark Knight encoded down from 1280x720, it looks absolutely amazing. However, it is incredibly slow to load and navigate through the file and Archos' poor pixel-type support causes it to crash if it does not like a single frame of the encoding. Cowon O2 can support this resolution and higher, but it runs very slow (my fault maybe?). Either way, I see no reason that firmware cannot eventually fix this. SIDENOTE: Until Cowon releases an RGB Component or HDMI Cable, High-Definition is utterly useless.
VIEWING ANGLES: ARCHOS - You can look at the Archos 605 at every angle that you want to and still be able to discern the picture. Cowon has very little side-on viewing capability and its head-on view is darker than either vertical tilt view.
COLORS: COWON - Cowon makes use of very dark blacks, bright whites and vivid colors. Archos, has much more washed out colors with very grey blacks. Due to some not-so-great darkness scaling with the O2, some videos appear too dark, where some lighter greys are more black than they should be. SIDENOTE: Cowon DOES NOT have a Brightness, Contrast, Gamma scale, while the Archos does. You can improve the Archos, but it still doesn't even tie with the Cowon. The Cowon has an LCD Color changer, but it does very little to effect the quality of the video.
REFRESH RATE: ARCHOS - Severe ghosting on the Cowon O2, especially in comparison with the Archos 605. After watching for awhile you tend not to notice it, but knowing otherwise, it is a major problem. I didn't even notice Archos 605 had any ghosting until I looked carefully to compare the players. There is no excuse for this, especially since they are already pushing it with a low resolution.
SCREEN SHAPE: TIE - The Cowon is wider while the Archos is taller. Archos allows 4:3 videos to play larger, while widescreen has less letterboxing on the Cowon. It is a lose-lose for either player because you cannot have the best of both worlds, though Cowon may have an edge as HDTV is becoming more widely available.
TOUCHSCREEN: COWON - Very sensitive and accurate for the Cowon O2 (because of firmware update?). I rarely ever miss my target and I barely have to touch it. With the Archos 605, you have to poke around or tap something several times to get it to register, which can be frustrating. SIDENOTE: Cowon's hold button completely disables the touchscreen while the Archos' will continue to show a pop-up telling you how to disable it. This is especially annoying when you are watching a video on hold and simply want to move your player. Even more points for Cowon.
COLOR INTEGRITY: COWON - By this, I mean color banding and splotchiness (actually a word?). Cowon's colors fade perfectly into the next in a decent video encoding. The very same video on the Archos is very splotchy and shades of colors are clearly separated into bands. They tend to disappear when using higher bitrate videos, but watching the very same file, you can easily tell the difference.

COMPARISON SHOTS: The first is meant to show the color differences while the second is meant to show color banding (focus on the kid's hair, though the banding is MUCH more visible in person).

In the world of PMPs, it is impossible to find one player that does everything right. Better yet, every similarly classed player is almost completely contrastable. Meaning that in Pros and Cons lists, everything is on either end of the spectrum, rather than each having a feature that is SLIGHTLY better or very comparable to the other player. I could ALMOST take that back if the S9 had an SD slot. Deal-breaker.

Would it be so hard to have a video player be 650x368? Or some similar middleground? Videos would look much better without a huge cost to the battery.

It is still arguable for which screen is better. It comes down to what qualities one would find to be the most important. I cannot even in my own head decide which one I truly like better. I would certainly miss the brighter and more varied colors of the Cowon. if I were to get rid of it. And I would miss the high-resolution screen if I were to get rid of my Archos. And I could go on. I think that this comparison won't drive somebody to pick one or the other, but it gives a product for that person to compare to make a better decision, and also to help people who have an O2 already to construct an educated opinion of the quality of the player's screen.

EDIT: I'm sure the Archos 5 is great too, but it is not really all that comparable to the Cowon O2, considering its HD-based, no SD slot, it's larger size, its internet capabilities, and most importantly, it's price! (including peripherals and plugins) The Archos 605 is the closest competitor.

Last edited by bdroc; 01-03-2009 at 06:34 PM.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:50 AM

Using Gom encoder, I have tried various settings for my "acquired" BD versions of movies and have been successful encoding down to 1280x720 at a very high bit-rate.
Dark Knight for example looks very sharp and fluid, no slowdowns, even fairly quick to load.
I'm hoping in future firmware that 720P movies can be dragged onto this player without converting but for now, I'm pretty happy with what it does.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:04 PM

Gom encoder? How long does it take? What are the settings you used? Is it really sharp and fluid? What is reduced.....only bitrate?

Old 01-03-2009, 06:32 PM

wwhaaaa? must...try...now...

Old 01-03-2009, 07:56 PM

I'm looking at my player now (was at work when I posted last post) and just so you guys know what settings.....Now this is a BT Blueray movie (already compressed, 8GB in size) but what my O2 reads to the right of the highlighted movie...
"2538MB, 1280x720, XVID, 25 Fps, 2011 Kbps"....audio is "48Hz, 320Kbps, Stereo."

I've tried other downloaded 720P movies including Eagle Eye and they all work excellent.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:17 PM

xvid must be the key because absolutely every x264 encoding runs the same for me...crappy

and now i cant overstate this...Cowon MUST come out with a Component RGB Cable to output HD...otherwise it is stupid

EDIT: I tried encoding HD into XviD, and it works absolutely perfectly, not to mention once I convert all of my videos, I'm going to save over 80GB of space on my harddrive, and I love the Gom Player with all of its features like sharpen, smoothen, deblock, etc....thanks a lot Yosh70

Last edited by bdroc; 01-04-2009 at 12:30 PM.

Tags
archos 605, cowon o2, resolution