android
Old 12-31-2008, 06:26 AM

Default Zen loses time when switched off and charged?

Hi everybody

I'm a newbie.

I bought a Creative Zen 8gb in September and I must say it's the dogs dangly bits. Anyway I'm over at my parents in Ireland and i've been downloading some BBC iplayer content to watch on the Zen. I've just started to notice that when I charge it from dead or nearly dead showing the red bit on the battery, I switch the Zen on and the time has changed and it deletes the video (s) and I have to re-download them. The filename remains but when you select it it says theres a problem playing this video.

In summary when it finishes charging it has the wrong time and sometimes the wrong date, and deletes the video.

Anybody know why it does this?

Last edited by phil8715; 12-31-2008 at 06:47 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-31-2008, 09:27 AM

Angry I don't have a sniff as to why this happens but...

I will join you in your frustration. I have a schizophrenic Zen 8 GB myself that can't keep time accurately. I have noticed this too when the unit is off and charging. It doesn't do it all the time though...just sporadically. It can go months without screwing up and then - "Hey big fella, let me mess with your mind!" So ya...I fell your pain.

I was going to RMA mine and even had a case open with Creative but decided not to because I could not replicate the problem immediately afterwards (they will charge you up the Yin Yang if they can't replicate the problem)...it has happened once since though. I have just to learn to live with it and not rely on the time/alarm. It's a nuisance for sure...definitely one of the growing list of problems with Creative Zen players. If the sound quality wasn't so kick ass I might huck the thing through a window. Definitely the last Creative player/or any product by them for that matter I ever buy...

Old 12-31-2008, 12:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Welcome phil8715.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil8715 View Post
I've just started to notice that when I charge it from dead or nearly dead showing the red bit on the battery, I switch the Zen on and the time has changed and it deletes the video (s) and I have to re-download them. The filename remains but when you select it it says theres a problem playing this video.
So, if the file is still showing on the Zen, how is it deleted? Are you sure that the video file you have downloaed is within the playback specs of the Zen? Does it play fine before you let the battery get so low and attempt to charge?

Quote:
In summary when it finishes charging it has the wrong time and sometimes the wrong date, and deletes the video.
I would try to not let the battery get so drained before charging. Can you try to charge more frequently; before the battery indicator shows red to see if the time and date is able to stay set?

Zen FAQ

Old 12-31-2008, 04:29 PM

What happens is I switch my Zen on after it's been charged, I go into the video and try to play it and message appears saying there's problem playing video. All I have is the title of the programme(s) I also notice that the clock is wrong too. I think there could be a link with timestamping maybe? if the clock is wrong it won't play the video, thats my assumption.

It works fine till it needs charging.

Also can you download games for the Zen? I've never seen them advertised and I suppose it would go into either the memory card or the extras.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:21 AM
Ultra Senior Member

So does the video play fine on the Zen before this issue? Does the video file have any embedded DRM that may be dependant on the date/time of the Zen?

No sorry. As far as I am aware of, no games around for the Zen.

Zen FAQ

Old 01-01-2009, 03:57 PM

Yes plays fine until the battery dies. I always try to charge it before the the red part of the battery displays and get several battey warnings.

Today I charged the battery with the red showing, but it charged fine and the date / time was correct. And the video played correctly.

Pity about not being get games for it as it's got a brilliant screen, and would the gameplay would be great experience.

Also If I download the latest firmware would it wipe all my music off?

Old 01-02-2009, 08:49 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Yes plays fine until the battery dies. I always try to charge it before the the red part of the battery displays and get several battey warnings.
Perhaps you are having mainboard issues with the RTC (Real Time Clock) or even the firmware. During a power-on and boot, the firmware's virtual clock is supposed to sync to the RTC. Maybe this is where the problem is. Have you ever reloaded or upgraded the firmware; especially from within Recovery Mode?

Quote:
Also If I download the latest firmware would it wipe all my music off?
No, reloading the firmware does not wipe out your files. A Format will.

Zen FAQ

Old 01-04-2009, 09:49 AM

I've reinstalled the firmware on my Zen.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

OK, did anything change?

Zen FAQ