android
Old 01-04-2009, 04:19 AM

Default No Connection, No Sync

Before I even go into this I would just like to say thanks to all of you for all you do on this site. I have been reading all issues like mine for the past day or so while trying the fixes but so far nothing is resolved.

I have a Zen V Plus 4gb and it works great, on every computer except mine. I plug it in (on any USB port) and it is detected and goes all the way to where it is installing the MTP driver and then it just quits giving me the yellow "!" in device manager and code 18 saying to reinstall the driver. I have done just that many times. I have un-installed WMP 11 and re-installed wmp 11 a few times and still nothing. WMP 10 does not work and I have been unable to reinstall it because I keep getting an error saying it cannot be installed because of WMP 11! So, no help there. Creative software doesn't find it since it is never installed. I have updated the firmware on another computer and today I tried using MTP on a friends Sansa e280 and guess what it wouldn't work either! Something is up with my MTP drivers but I have not been able to find a single link to where I can download a fresh copy, only WMP 11.

I am running Win XP - SP3 - virtually new install of windows as well.

Please Help.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-04-2009, 10:28 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenBassMan View Post
Before I even go into this I would just like to say thanks to all of you for all you do on this site.
No problem. Welcome ZenBassMan.

Quote:
I plug it in (on any USB port) and it is detected and goes all the way to where it is installing the MTP driver and then it just quits giving me the yellow "!" in device manager and code 18 saying to reinstall the driver.
Code 18 Error usually means something is preventing the driver from loading correctly. Check out the Zen FAQ for possible solutions for this is directly covered in the Troubleshooting section.

Quote:
I have un-installed WMP 11 and re-installed wmp 11 a few times and still nothing. WMP 10 does not work and I have been unable to reinstall it because I keep getting an error saying it cannot be installed because of WMP 11!
You also have to uninstall the WMP11 Runtimes after you uninstall WMP11. See here (or the FAQ again).

Quote:
Something is up with my MTP drivers but I have not been able to find a single link to where I can download a fresh copy, only WMP 11.
See here.

Zen FAQ

Old 01-04-2009, 11:38 AM

I have tried uninstalling runtime as well, it still wouldn't allow me to install WMP 10 and Microshaft says to leave the runtime and install WMP 10 or protected content will not be playable. Anyways, I have un-installed it anyway since the small amount of protected content I would lose would be worth it to get this problem resolved.

I read through your FAQ and on the one thing I tried right off the bat was the windows driver foundation service and it would not go to automatic. It is set to manual and attempting to start it gives me error 31 "a device attached to the system is not functioning". I looked up this issue before and found several tech sites saying that manual was the correct setting for that service so I hadn't bothered it until now.

I do not know if that is an issue but I am going to try the regedit keys and see if those work. Let me know if you have dealt with the error 31 issue before.

Thanks once again.

ZBM

Old 01-04-2009, 10:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

When you get WMP11 and the runtimes uninstalled, try installing WMP10. This should reinstall the Windows Media Framework which would include MTP and the User-Mode Driver Framework. You can also try installing the UMDF here. Regardless if the service is set to Manual or Auto, it should be able to start correctly. Without the service running, this could be the cause (or part of) the cause of your issue(s).

With the error 31...... make sure you don't have any other USB devices connected (but maybe mouse/keyboard) and restart and try again.

Zen FAQ

Tags
creative, zen v plus, zvp