android
Old 01-04-2009, 10:59 PM

Unhappy Touchpad Issues

Hi, noob here, so bear with me, if this is in the wrong place, or there's already a thread dealing with this issue, then my apologies and some help getting to where I need to go would be appreciated. Fairly leangthy post ahead, hopefully it's all relavent.

Right, so I have a 30Gb Zen Vision:M and at the moment, the touchpad simply isn't working. I've had it for just over 2 years now (so well out of warranty) and, well, here's all the details I can give.

Now first of all, I started getting issues with the touchpad over a year ago (back when I could have gotten a replacement for free, but my bad). Scrolling with the pad started becoming troublesome and then, all of a sudden stopped working. Now, what I mean is, rubbing my thumb up and down the pad did nothing. But, I could move up and down menus or change the volume by tapping the top and bottom of the pad. Since that was the case I didn't think there was much I had to worry about, I could still get full functionality out of the player, so all was well. Even still, I did go through all the basic steps to fix this, reset the player, firmware upgrade, full format and so on, but to no avail. This was clearly a hardware issue, but I did all this just incase.

This worked out well for me up until a few months ago, where suddenly, I could no long tap the middle of the pad to select things. This issue would come and go, generally I could get this function back by pressing down on the pad firmly (possibly making things worse, I don't know) and that would bring back this function to the point that tapping lightly would allow me to select things fine, but like I say, this would come and go. Again I tried the above basic things, to no avail.

I contacted Creative and was told that since it was out of warranty, I was out of luck and the best they could do was offer me a replacement at a "discounted" price (since they no longer sell these players, there was no option for repair as there are no parts, their replacement would have been the nearest match to my player... can't remember which now, but it's a moot point as the "discounted price" they offered me was more than if I'd simply bought the same thing off of amazon and I didn't have the money for that anyway).

So now here I am. The player still plays, the four buttons around the side work fine (as well as the forward and back buttons) which basically means I can play music and, if I get bored, I can hit the shortcut button, which is assigned to play the "album of the day" (another word for random album) and hope I get lucky and end up listening to something I actually want to. But, there no way I can select... well, anything. At this very moment, full functionality of the select bit no loner works, and I now, neither does tapping the bottom of the pad to go down, so it's constantly on full volume (not an issue, I listen to very quiet music and have noise cancelling earphones). So, I have an mp3 player that plays mp3, just not the ones I want it to play right now.

And yes, since talking to creative, and being brushed off (and why not, I don't have a warranty anymore, I don't blame them) I have gone to the trouble of opening up and fully dismantelling the player to get to the touchpad only to find that my novice knowledge of it all means I simply looked at it, blew on it in case of dust and then put it all back together again. Happily, the player still functioned as it did before I'd taken it apart, sadly, no improvement.

Now, I have found a place that sells replacement touchpads here but they also sell this. As you can see, one is quite simply the touchpad on it's own and the other is the touchpad with buttons and control board. Ideally, I'd simply buy a new player (I read the review on here about a Sony one which looked quite good, but really, I'll only buy that if trying to replace this one seems futile to you guys) So, after that rather expansive trip through my Zen Vision M experiance, my question to you, what do you think my issue is, do you think it can be fixed with new parts, which parts do I need and do you think this website I linked to is reliable?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-05-2009, 12:24 AM
Ultra Senior Member

You would need the touchpad since the other buttons work. I would buy the whole kit.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:24 AM

Joshi, your links are bad in that last paragraph.... Welcome to ABi btw

Ok, now everything can be fixed, when it comes right down to it.. and with the parts and a bit of skill, you should be able to do the job. The other side of the equation is that.. time has marched onward.. and the ZVM is getting a bit long in the tooth in technology terms. You might give the consideration to a new player, that will fulfill your needs in perhaps even better ways.

My ZVM is still in tip-top condition, though I don't use it much as I have moved on to other players.. but of course, it's your decision.. and a new player will cost more than repairing your ZVM.. though in the end it might end up giving you less problems going forward than your ZVM and battery life will become an issue with your ZVM due to age, if it isn't already...

Good Luck..

Last edited by Utew; 01-05-2009 at 09:06 AM.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:24 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm a bit bothered by all the recent posts about touchpad troubles here lately. The touchpad uses the exact same technology as the touchpad in most laptops (and, I believe, is manufactured by the same company, Synaptec), and I have yet to encounter a failed touchpad on a laptop, so I'm left wondering, what gives?

Anyways, as Utew stated, the choice is yours. Personally, I'd try to get your current ZVM fixed. Your best bet there would be to get the whole touchpad/button/control board kit, as your buttons are probably getting on in age as well. Once you get it fixed and working properly, you can decide if you want to keep it or sell it and get something newer. A ZVM in perfect working order is likely to sell for a pretty good chunk of change, as they've become collectors' items.

If you decide to go the repair route, there are plenty of videos, pictures, and guides here on ABi that can help you take the thing apart and replace the parts. As you've probably already figured out, it's not as hard as it looks.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:29 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I'll probably just get the parts since they're rather cheap, and fix it myself. Since I have taken the thing apart fully (twice now, with help from guides on here and elsewhere) I don't think it'll be too much of an issue for me to replace the whole thing.

Like I said, ideally, I'd like to buy a new player, but this being the cheaper option, I think I'll go for this until I have a bit more money on my side.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello and welcome Joshi. Repairing the ZVM is perfectly reasonable and well worth it in your case. It may be aged, but it can still hold its own just fine, especially in the video department. Good luck!

<O</OOh, I took the liberty of changing the thread title from "Touchscreen" to "Touchpad".

Zen FAQ

Old 01-05-2009, 07:15 PM

Ah, my bad, thanks.

And thanks for the advice. I'm actually still torn at this point. The only spare parts I could find were on a US website (I should probably point out that I'm from the UK). Getting it shipped here will cost more than the parts themselves and while it still would end up being less than half the price of a new player, I was hoping it'd be less and now feel a new player may be a better bet... like I say, I'm torn, but thanks again for all your help guys.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Check the Ebay.U.K site for ZenVM (for parts/repair)

Old 01-05-2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachop94 View Post
Check the Ebay.U.K site for ZenVM (for parts/repair)
I don't do eBay for a number of reasons unfortunately.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:17 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshi View Post
Ah, my bad, thanks.
No problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshi View Post
And thanks for the advice. I'm actually still torn at this point. The only spare parts I could find were on a US website (I should probably point out that I'm from the UK). Getting it shipped here will cost more than the parts themselves and while it still would end up being less than half the price of a new player, I was hoping it'd be less and now feel a new player may be a better bet... like I say, I'm torn, but thanks again for all your help guys.
That's understandable. Good luck with what ever you decide. Be sure to let us know how it turns out.

Zen FAQ

Tags
broken, fix, replace, touchpad