android
Old 12-27-2008, 09:55 PM

Default Repeat All/Track gap of silence

Hi,

I'm having a strange problem, and i doubt there's much help for it, but thought i'd give it a try.

I have a short track that i recorded and put on repeat, and it continued to play indefinitely without a gap in between (it's a continuous sound). However, it had some flaws in it that i wanted to edit out, so i re-edited the file and put it back. Now, when i put the track on repeat mode, every X number of iterations (can't figure out how many) it stops and there's about a 2 second gap of silence. Then it picks up and starts again.

Now, normally one would probably not notice this, but i'm using this to help my newborn baby stay asleep! SO needless to say it's a little annoying!

Any thoughts?

-steve

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-29-2008, 01:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurn View Post
I have a short track that i recorded and put on repeat, and it continued to play indefinitely without a gap in between (it's a continuous sound). However, it had some flaws in it that i wanted to edit out, so i re-edited the file and put it back. Now, when i put the track on repeat mode, every X number of iterations (can't figure out how many) it stops and there's about a 2 second gap of silence. Then it picks up and starts again.
You may to try re-editing the file again, but you can also try booting into Recovery Mode and doing a Cleanup to see if that helps.

Quote:
but i'm using this to help my newborn baby stay asleep! SO needless to say it's a little annoying!
Congratulations!

Zen FAQ

Old 12-29-2008, 08:57 PM

Thanks, BobbyRS....I did try editing the file again, making it a bit shorter--thinking it's some kind of memory weirdness with the Zen, but no dice. The only difference *might* be that the gap is shorter by a few milliseconds...it's hard to tell.

Anyway, i would try a Recovery mode cleanup, but last time it tried that i couldn't get out, and ended up having to remove and reinstall the firmware...but at least i know i can just do that again...;-)

Old 12-30-2008, 10:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The Cleanup should run pretty quick. After it completes, select Reboot from the menu. This will get you booting back up normally into the firmware.

Zen FAQ

Old 01-06-2009, 01:35 PM

Unfortunately, the Cleanup didn't work to fix the gap problem, i'm afraid. Any more ideas?

I was able to get out of Recovery mode, however. I think when i did that before there was something wrong with the firmware.

Thanks,
steve

Old 01-06-2009, 03:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, the Cleanup didn't work to fix the gap problem, i'm afraid. Any more ideas?
Perhaps re-editing or re-encoding with a different program....

Quote:
I was able to get out of Recovery mode, however. I think when i did that before there was something wrong with the firmware.
Oh, ok. Yeah, if no firmware is installed (or is corrupted) the Zen boots into Recovery Mode by default since there is no firmware or it can't execute.

Zen FAQ

Old 01-07-2009, 10:06 AM

Yeah, my thought too. I also thought i'd put the original back on and ensure that it doesn't do the same thing.

I did have trouble editing the original file, even though it was a wav file...seemed a bit odd to me, but my regular wav editors wouldn't open it. I ended up producing a new file from my media player and editing that. Perhaps that process is the problem.

thanks,
steve

Old 01-07-2009, 11:19 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Yeah, my thought too. I also thought i'd put the original back on and ensure that it doesn't do the same thing.
Yes, if you still have it, that would be a good test.

Quote:
I did have trouble editing the original file, even though it was a wav file...seemed a bit odd to me, but my regular wav editors wouldn't open it. I ended up producing a new file from my media player and editing that. Perhaps that process is the problem.
It looks as though your on the right track.

Zen FAQ

Old 01-07-2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Yes, if you still have it, that would be a good test.

It looks as though your on the right track.
Yes....except it's still not there.

Another conundrum: I have the original file on my PC, but the ZVP doesn't see it because it's not tagged. Somehow the tag was lost after moving it over. And for some reason tagging it as a wav file (using my media player and Tag&Rename) doesn't seem to register in Win Explorer or the ZVP.

So i tried converting it to mp3 and tagging it, but it's still doing the "gap" thing.

I realize this is a wild goose chase, but any ideas?

-steve

Old 01-08-2009, 01:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Another conundrum: I have the original file on my PC, but the ZVP doesn't see it because it's not tagged. Somehow the tag was lost after moving it over. And for some reason tagging it as a wav file (using my media player and Tag&Rename) doesn't seem to register in Win Explorer or the ZVP.
Don't tag the WAV file at all. Can you create a new WAV file or rip from the source to MP3? If not, convert the WAV to MP3 and then tag. Don't tag the WAV file before converting to MP3. This may be casuing issues when converting.

Quote:
So i tried converting it to mp3 and tagging it, but it's still doing the "gap" thing.
What are you using for conversion?

You may want to verify the ID3 tag version used. Make sure it is ID3v2.3. MP3Tag can be your friend here.

Zen FAQ