android
Old 01-06-2009, 10:40 PM

Default Cowon O2 vs S9... better than Archos 5?

Initially, I was considering the O2 for purchase. Then I found out the Archos 5 had web browsing and PDF viewing. So, I went ahead and bought the Archos 5. Well, in my few weeks of ownership, I found its stability issues quite annoying and returned it. Now I'm back to considering the O2 and S9 (O2 for screen size; S9 for portability, AMOLED screen, and battery life).

Has anyone had the opportunity to compare the Archos 5 to the Cowon O2 or S9? Is the O2/S9 more stable than the Archos 5?

I'm leaning toward the O2 at the moment as I'm looking for more of a PVP than a DAP (I have a Zen for that), although I suppose I could just use the S9 as an all-around alternative if an armband is ever released. Screen-wise, the S9 seems more like a widescreen Zen so I'm not certain how significant the screen size increase from Zen to S9 would be (though the AMOLED screen does look quite nice).

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-06-2009, 11:52 PM

haha...it seems I'm always answering your questions! I have owned a zen vision: m and a zen x-fi, which is identical in many ways to the zen. I have not owned an S9 so I cannot give you any insights about that....but if you already have a zen I suggest the O2 for many reasons. Firstly treat yourself to a larger screen...seriously...it's a world of difference.

I dunno whether the zen has an external speaker or not but the x-fi does, so does the O2 but not the s9.....I can no longer imagine using any player that doesn't have an external speaker after the joys of the speaker on my x-fi and then on my O2.

LAStly, do you love to convert videos? I don't....so I got an O2. The x-fi requires extensive convertion...almost as much as an ipod....the s9 supports just avi and wmv. The O2 supports a lot more...of course it doesn't support all it says it can support but it's definately a step-up....now when I get new content I no longer sadly turn to a video converter.....I transfer it to my O2 and cross my fingers....with oother players doing that is a waste of time. Not to mention the expandability with that sd card the s9 somehow fails to have

The S9 is very attractive with it's nice GUI and ID3 tag based browsing and capacitative touchscreen and sharp bright AMOLED screen......if it was in 32 GB with an external speaker...well.......simply put, I wouldn't own an O2.....nuff said

Old 01-07-2009, 02:40 AM

lol. Thanks for your input again.

Yeah, I appreciated the larger screen of the A5 significantly over the Zen. The O2 shouldn't be too much of a step down from the A5 whereas the S9 seems more like it would only benefit from widescreen videos as 4:3 videos (with bars) would probably look similar to that on the Zen (TFT vs AMOLED difference aside).

I have the standard 8GB Zen. Yeah, transcoding is a PITA. I primarily use it for workouts though so it doesn't have to be spectacular. However, I'm surprised how rugged it is as its been armbanded, screen protected, and silicone skinned for close to a year... being thrown about on my sweaty arm constantly without a second thought. Not sure if I'd feel comfortable about doing that with an S9. Aside from the rare freeze during video playback (which is easily remedied by simply rewinding it for a second), the Zen has been a real trooper. Sure it would have been nice to have an external speaker, but considering its size, I can live without it. The only thing I dislike about it is the transcoding. Otherwise, an excellent player. (Although I suppose I might complain about the lack of SD integration if I ever decided to expand it... which I probably never will.)

I'm not really the type that cares about friendly UI, id3 browsing, and what not. They might be nice features, but I care more about reliability and playback. I just don't want to deal with a player that crashes on me every other day.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:38 PM

yeah creative makes the most TOP-NOTCH products! The player I have enjoyed most was my zen vision: m cos it can actually pick codecs from your computer with which to play the video files you put on it....how amazing is that?!

If it had a bigger screen and a speaker I'd have bought another one when my old one started messing about.....crashing and whatnot...but that was cos it was old and hard-drive based and had met the floor on too many occasions. But my replacement...which is the O2, is serving me well enough in the meantime.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:11 AM

I could never think of buying a Archos 5. I have a nice 32GB O2 and I love it to death!

The one thing that completely turned me away from the Archos was the battery! FOUR HOURS on Video alone! I have double that with my O2 and I love the quality. Audio quality is dominated my Cowon players so you can't say that a Archos has better sound that a Cowon. I have also read a load on the O2 as I have dug up my libary of countless eBooks and converted them to TXT files. It's a nice reader!

I got the 32 GB and I only use about 10-15 Gb's at a time but I am expanding my Audio Libaray so I should fill it up quickly.
I love the S9 and I want to kill Cowon for making that UI so much better, but I still love my O2 much more. After Firmware 1.17, I haven't had my UI freeze since! It's improving!

Old 01-12-2009, 12:14 AM

you took the words right from my mouth! I love my O2 so much that is I was offered a free S9 I wouldn't accept it.

Video: Nice pleasant responsive touchscreen....huge too

Audio: amazing quality...def better than the zen x-fi and with all those JetEffects too!

UI: leaves a lot to be wished for with those tiny scroll-bars, that big screen is being wasted....the S9 theme on here would be nice. But that touchscreen is VERY responsive and nice!

Extras: This is where the player reaslly shines.....I use the notepad frequently when I do not have a pen and paper handy.....I use the calculator all the time for my math homework as well as any nifty calculation I need to do. The text reader is a godsend! I am never-ever bored anymore since I can just whip out my O2 and start to read.

Definately the O2 needs improvements but it is a mafnificent piece of hardware at the moment......

Old 01-12-2009, 11:39 AM
Contributing Editor

I couldnt agree more with you guys. I absolutely love it. A couple things could be improved, but I love it. Still cant wait for dfkt's final review. I know there were a couple of things from his initial impression that got fixed in firmware update....waiting