android
Old 09-26-2008, 12:12 PM

Default Modifying the firmware?

I have in interesting question for all. All I use my Pilot for is music. I will never pull in videos, audio books, Rhapsody Channels or Record anything. (I would like to keep the Picture icon to look at covers (if they work that is) or "other" pictures of worth.) Because of this, it gets to be a pain (to me) to scroll past these items every time I go into the folders or radio. Is there a way to break into the bios and delete these? I tried to break in and couldn't. I know I am talking about a modified bios, but I am not mass producing it or anything. Any ideas?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-26-2008, 11:56 PM
Insignia Moderator

Not possible. If you modify a firmware file, the Pilot won't load it. It will no longer have the checksum the Pilot was expecting.

Old 09-27-2008, 05:34 PM

Mmmm. Even if you deleted the firmware and reinstalled? All the checksums would have to tie back so it "sees" what it wants. Even if when you (or I) hooked up the player the first time, the software could ask you if you want to install / run / use these items. Like taylor it to you, know what I mean? Maybe another add to the firmware blog.

Thanks for the reply though and telling me I am screwed!!!!

Old 01-08-2009, 11:52 PM

i'm also interested in this too...

Old 01-09-2009, 05:26 PM

Too busy to break the code. If they came out with a firmware, you could use to see how to "easily" tailor it to what you want or donít want. There is a way to do it, its just people just donít see it yet (or tried it yet.) In one of the blogs in the recent past, there was a web site that talked about doing custom "stuff" in reference to firmwares. No I donít remember the site. Any remember the name? They "might" have figured out the way. Or, worse case, does anybody know a code geek to tare apart the program to see how to modify what we have so far? I know some code geeks for networking / switches; but not this arena.
Any ideas?

Old 01-09-2009, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbk View Post
...In one of the blogs in the recent past, there was a web site that talked about doing custom "stuff" in reference to firmwares. No I donít remember the site. Any remember the name? They "might" have figured out the way.
Are you talking about RockBox? There's nothing there for any Insignia MP3 players.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:47 PM

SaruNinja,
Yep thats the one. All well. Maybe if we flood that site maybe they will try to help us (or me.). Thanks for helping with the name too!!!

Old 01-15-2009, 05:18 PM

Unfortunately the way it works with RockBox is, the person that wants RockBox for the player, but be willing to do most if not all development for it.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbk View Post
Maybe if we flood that site maybe they will try to help us (or me.)
Maybe if you flood the site they will become horribly annoyed with you and consequently never feel obliged to help any of us. Just because they hack around in firmware for other players doesn't mean they give a shit about you or what you want. The Rockbox devs and contributors seem to do so because it helps them... they have a player that they want to use with a better firmware. It's a TON of work. If it's not worth enough to you to put in the work, why should it be for them?!

Please, do NOT flood the Rockbox site with requests. It's perhaps good for them to know that there is a community interested, but until someone has the drive to take a player or ten apart and ruin them looking into how it works, there won't be a Rockbox port for the Pilot.

I would absolutely use one if it existed, but I'm not so unhappy with the current state of my pilot that I would take that first step (plus I don't think I know enough about hardware to do so).

Old 01-20-2009, 11:16 AM

We have to march to California and burn down Apple HQ, forcing the rockbox devs to focus on lesser players like the Pilot.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Coffee View Post
We have to march to California and burn down Apple HQ, forcing the rockbox devs to focus on lesser players like the Pilot.
First things first: they can't dev for a device they don't own.

FYI: They don't focus on iPods much. The new generation iPods are completely locked up and no one has any interested in breaking the encryption.

How about you read some documentation and do it yourself instead of relying on others? Trolling like that won't get you far in life, kid.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:58 PM
Insignia Moderator

I can say pretty confidently Rockbox will ever be ported to the Pilot. There's almost no demand for it. More importantly, I doubt there are any RockBox devs who actually own a Pilot.

This thread has run its course.

Closed Thread