android
Old 01-21-2009, 12:06 PM

Default MTP device and tagging issue...

Perhaps i'm mired in the dark ages but i've never used an MTP device before and so when i connected my S639 up i was surprised by the fact it appeared on My Computer but was not navigable by any of my programs. This has caused me an issue with tagging the files.

I don't really keep a library of mp3's on my PC since i don't really use it for music; i've either ripped and compressed my cd's for storage, and then decompressed them straight onto my MP3 player or just dragged and dropped them or ripped to the device. I've then tagged the files once they were in place, without ever needing to Sync anything before in my life! This MTP file transfer has me somewhat scuppered.

How should i be tagging my MP3's...am i obliged to do it all on my PC and then drop the complete files across or am i missing something elementary? Perhaps i need to get into synching but since i've never done it i'm a little resistant when i just want tagged MP3's on my Walkman. I've got MP3tag and WMP11 (and am aware of Media Monkey and J. River Jukebox) and am open to anything that can help me out!

All help appreciated.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-22-2009, 08:57 AM

Hello,

I don't understand english very well.
I see , you have a problem with the MTP driver.
On generation mp3 a french forum , i have wrote a tricks to change the mtp driver to UMS driver.
If this trick can to help you ...

http://forum.generationmp3.com/Tutor...MS-t68148.html

If you want help for translate french menu , i can help you

Bye

Old 01-22-2009, 09:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

MP3Tag is fine, and MM or J.River will sync the files for you. A bonus of MM is it rips to mp3 w/no additional plug-ins or charges, so I personally recommend that 1 myself.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:14 PM

Thanks AliaS93 i'll take a look.

DarkSide - Therein lies my problem....i'm used to my old iRiver where i could simply stick all my music onto it and then sort out the tags afterwards. However with this new fangled MTP system, MP3tag won't recognise the device and therefore can't see my MP3's that might need tagging....which means i have to do all my management prior to transfer. It seems that Media Monkey is my only option in this respect since it can modify tags on the MP3's which are on the S639.

Is there any reason why MTP is a better idea than just having the device appear as a removable drive (and being browsable by software)? It just seems an added complication stopping the contents of the Walkman being recognised by an external application.

And even with Media Monkey i can't seem to be able to edit the tags manually if the need arises...i think i'm just being dense but this invisible drive is just giving me headaches.

Ok...Bonus Edit....I'd still really like to understand the advantage of keeping the walkman in MTP mode but if i do as this post instructs, is that a simple, completely reversible way of switching back and forth between options, without detriment to the player itself? What do i actually lose out on in opting out of the default file transfer system?

Oh and DarkSide, along with my S639 purchase i picked up that Proporta hard case i linked to before Christmas. Aside from a concern about a moulding issue on one of the clips (hasn't sprung open on me yet) it's a great bit of kit.

Last edited by xist; 01-22-2009 at 04:47 PM.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xist View Post
Ok...Bonus Edit....I'd still really like to understand the advantage of keeping the walkman in MTP mode but if i do as this post instructs, is that a simple, completely reversible way of switching back and forth between options, without detriment to the player itself? What do i actually lose out on in opting out of the default file transfer system?
You only loose DRM (BBC iPlayer, various online stores with .wma and .wmv files) and playlist support from Windows Media Player. If that's something you can live without, blow MTP away.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:21 PM

Thanks...i can live without DRM and Media Player playlists so that's good to know. One thing that has confused me slightly is this (taken from here):

Quote:
As for album art, well without MTP album art would be a much bigger problem. In fact, I'm not aware of any UMS device that supports album art - if anyone knows of any, I'd love to check it out. With MTP, album art is part of the album object on the device - which is populated either by an embedded jpg, separate album art file or a download from a media server. Without MTP, and it's concept of objects, this functionality doesn't work - of course, not to say that it couldn't be done with UMS - but do you really want a low powered device like a DAP doing the grunt work of parsing and extracting album art from media files on the fly?
Does that mean that the way files are handled during transfer is different? I'm confused as despite trying to research i'm coming up with little...the sample music and video that came with the S639 all had album art, but when opened in one of the above tag tools none was displayed. I'm assuming that this means it's not being contained in the ID3 tags. If i switch to from MTP to UTP and use a tag tool to insert album art into the tags am i really creating a difference after transfer? I'm finding it difficult to understand how the album art would be encoded differently after transfer by MTP, and that last sentence implying that a DAP needs to work harder getting art from it's tag if you're not using MTP confuzzles me.