android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa Fuze

Old 01-24-2009, 12:03 PM

Default Minor gripes about the 2G fuse compared to the 4G mosaic LX.

Don't get me wrong I like my 2G fuse with a 2 G sd card and @ 39.99 before tax it was a steal.But I also have the 4 G zen mosaic and only like it better than the fuse for a couple of minor reasons.
1 - (keep in mind I have not upgraded the firmware in either player yet.)in the mosaic I can zoom in on pix.This is very helpfull @ work as I have schematics stored on it.Also great feature to get a better view of whats being displayed.
2 - The walpaper is limited in the fuse to preset options.While on the mosaic I can utilize any pic I load into it.(have some great pix of my kids I like to use).I do love the quality of the display in the fuse much better than in the mosaic.Now the upgrade in fuse firmware might fix that but not from what I've read in the forum as yet.I have searched about this but havenot seen this mentioned as yet.
Not real used to the non-pushbutton method for selection.Which is something one can get used to.
Disappointed with the inability to get the same vids unto the fuse that I have on the mosaic.Yes tried the encoder that came with the fuse.Handeled all the pix fine but keeps erroring on the vids.I know it's probably operator error but that means it's more complex than the mosaic was because all I did for it was drag and drop.
Now I do like the picture quality of the fuse over the mosaic.Love the weight of the fuse over the mosaic.(Actually has some heft to it)
I know they are minor things but would love to see the wallpaper and zoom covered in a firmware upgrade.That would bump the fuse to the top of MY list.
Now please if I'm missing something someone give an oldman a clue here huh??Thanx ....Bill

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-24-2009, 12:16 PM

Nope - you can't set a custom background for the menus and you can't zoom into pics. The latter one disappointed me a bit too.

I don't think, these features will ever be implemented in the official firmware. There is an alternative FW on the way, however (called Rockbox), that will let you do like anything you can imagine is possible with the Fuze.

Last edited by zickZackMann; 01-24-2009 at 12:23 PM.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:08 PM

The problem with all sansas in general is the interface. It works but it is very ugly and not very intuitive. No custom wallpaper. No anti-aliased fonts. I don't know why they even put a picture viewer in the Fuze as it is slow and almost useless.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zickZackMann View Post
Nope - you can't set a custom background for the menus and you can't zoom into pics. The latter one disappointed me a bit too.

I don't think, these features will ever be implemented in the official firmware. There is an alternative FW on the way, however (called Rockbox), that will let you do like anything you can imagine is possible with the Fuze.
I know it's something that I should look into but...When what where and how this Rockbox???

Old 01-24-2009, 03:19 PM

http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/WhyRockbox

^^^
Explains what Rockbox is.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL/T/D/Y View Post
I know it's something that I should look into but...When what where and how this Rockbox???
Remember Bill Rockbox has not yet been ported to the Fuze so you'll have to wait like the rest of us..
Sansa e260v1 Rockboxed 8GB microsdhc
Sansa Fuze 8GB 16GB microSDHC

Old 01-24-2009, 08:31 PM

OK reviewed the rockbox and seems interesting.Didn't see any of the players I currently own listed but some that I plan to get are.Looks like I'll end up keepin the fuse as a backup player and the mosaic will be my shop unit with the RCA pearl as my mobile unit. It's simplistic format with micro sd slot expansion makes it a good player in the cars.
Still wish like heck the fuse had a zoom feature.
Thanx and please bear with this D.O.B. I'm still mp3 player ignorant.