android
Old 08-23-2008, 12:25 PM

Default Browse Folders?

Possible to browse folders on the Fuse? I like the Clip but no way to browse folders.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-23-2008, 12:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

No folder browsing.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:13 AM

Thanks, i guess all the Sandisk are this way?

Old 08-24-2008, 11:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes, all the Sandisk players uses ID3 tags unless you use Rockbox on the e200v1 or c200v1.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:07 PM

Default browsing with folders

I've wanted this too. I picked a bunch of songs and then changed the album names to whatever I wanted to name the folder( under edit, i select all or one, then on the upper left i click on organize folders). When I want to play back the folder/album, I go to albums in the menu and select the album/folder I want. I hope that makes sense.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:49 AM

But doesn't this mess up the true album name for a music file (such as for downloaded music tracks)? And if you buy a different music player later on, which DOES allow browsing by folders (like the Cowon S9), all the "album title" tags will be wrong.

Speaking of which, is there a tag that can be used as a substitute for the actual Album Name? And is there a quick way to create this substitution, some code or something? I read details about this once, I forget where, anybody know about this?

Last edited by NauticusLX; 01-30-2009 at 12:14 PM.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:08 PM

I don't get it.

I organize my files on my PC by "Classification\Artist\Album" hierarchy, where "Classification" is not exactly the same as "Genre", which I don't use, but rather my own label for organizing. I don't play them this way, just keep track of what I have this way. I copy them to my player by "Artist\Album", which I got used to doing when I had a couple of players that didn't read tags. So even if I did use folder browsing, it would be the exact same thing as using the tags. Having used both, I prefer tags.

I thought I understood why someone would prefer folder browsing, but apparently I don't. Maybe I just don't organize the same way they do. I can't think of any other way that would make sense.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:28 PM

One of the moderators on the sansa forums said that they are looking into folder browsing in the future.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:33 PM

I have media monkey at home, is this the software to sue to change the tags around to what I want them to be?

Old 01-30-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_headshot View Post
One of the moderators on the sansa forums said that they are looking into folder browsing in the future.
Rockbox for the Fuze will probably be available sooner.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:46 PM

The Cowon S9 has this menu:
Folders
Artist
Album
Genre

In this way, one doesn't have to use one or the other, i.e., can use folder browsing, or utilize tags, without the need to "reconfigure". Because both ways are convenient, but for files that aren't tagged, browsing by folders is obviously better than searching in "unknown" folders. And everybody already has their music organized into folders, so that is obviously more intuitive.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

What I have done is to put the folder onto my Fuze/Clip as a folder, and then create a playlist with only the songs in that folder. Then when I call up the playlist, it's like calling up the folder. (and yeah, I know that some users or players are playlist challenged. )

Steve

Old 01-30-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Rockbox for the Fuze will probably be available sooner.
They were talking about sansa firmware or maybe a whole new player with the option

Old 01-30-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
What I have done is to put the folder onto my Fuze/Clip as a folder, and then create a playlist with only the songs in that folder. Then when I call up the playlist, it's like calling up the folder. (and yeah, I know that some users or players are playlist challenged. )

Steve
Are the songs that will be in the playlist already on the Fuze before you make the playlist? You make the playlist on the PC, right? Please give me the steps you use to create the playlist, and where are the music tracks while you're making the playlist, and at what point you drag files to the Fuze. And can there be several playlists on the Fuze, and does each playlist require a separate folder?

Last edited by NauticusLX; 01-30-2009 at 06:37 PM.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

1) Set Fuze to MSC mode
2) load the latest firmware
3) move songs to Fuze
4) open fuze in Windows Explorer (not Internet explorer)
5) play first song in winamp
6) add remaining songs to winamp
7) shuffle songs in winamp until they are in desired order
8) use "save playlist" to save the playlist to the Fuze

Read the other threads to see where playlist has to go.

Method #2. This works on my Vista machine but not my XP machine. Only works on internal memory, not micro SD card.

1) MSC
2) firmware
3) songs on Fuze
4) highlight desired songs (easiest if all in one directory)
5) right click with mouse
6) select save playlist or create playlist or whatever

I have only done the second method once, and that was Boxing Day. Most of my music is on the XP machine, so that's where I play around. And that's where I'm sitting now. I'll try to remember to check this out sometime.

BTW, I'm no genius with PCs or mp3 players. I had created 4 playlists on the Fuze internal memory and one on the micro SD card within a couple of hours of starting to play with the Fuze. Heck I put the first 4 songs on the Fuze, and created a playlist. Then I thought, lets try the microSD card. Hey this works great!!!

Steve

Old 01-30-2009, 10:31 PM

For the sake of completeness, Step 8 above, for Windows XP, should be extended to read:
8) use "save playlist" to save the playlist to the Fuze (gray box bottom right side of the Winamp app in v5.21, using the Save List option), and save to the same subfolder on the Fuze, in the Music folder, that the files in the playlist just made are located.)

Now the reader doesn't have to trip around the internet to figure this out - it's important and should be included with the other 7 steps.

I admit these 8 steps are simple, and worked for me without a problem (even with the older version of winamp - I was familiar with winamp already though, which makes it easier). I had no trouble adding some other tracks to this playlist.

CD's I make tend to be from various artists. Now i can put this music on my Fuze and retain this grouping without messing with the tag information (giving all the tracks in a playlist the same Album Name creates the equivalent of a playlist but messes up the Album Name info, even though it might be a more direct approach to grouping song tracks together where the Album Name doesn't matter to the user).

Thank you VERY MUCH!