android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon iAudio X5

Old 01-29-2009, 06:18 PM

Default Use the x5/M5/M3 player while it is charging with the AC-Adapter

Hello.

First of all, sorry for my english. My name is Enrique and I am spanish.

I am a happy IAudio M5 owner, I have been using it for years and I am very satisfied with the device. My battery is almost dead and the only way to keep enjoying my favorite MP3 player is have it pluged to the wall charger while listening to music.

Recently I have a domestic accident with the wall charger and I can't use it anymore, I keep the charger, but the cable is cut-off and I have lost the original mini USB connector from then end of the cable.

I have tried to power my M5 with differents off-brand USB charger without success. Any of then let me play music, the only thing they do is charge the device.

I keep the original wall charger with the cut-off cable without the original mini usb connector, so I solder a new regular mini usb conector to the cable, following the pinout of the mini USB conector. The result is that now I can charge battery, but I can't play music anymore while the device is connected to the AC Adapter, even using the original AC Adaptor with a new mini USB connector!.

I have noticed that there is an extran pin in the mini usb connector. The documentation I have found on the internet talks about this extra pin (pin X) as a ground pin. I am not very fond of Electronic, and asked some friends for help in this problem, they have told me to connect this extra pin to ground or to +5v with a 100K resistor. I have tried without success, even with diferent resistor values (1k, 10k, 100k, 200k 400k).

I need some help, I would be very gratefull if somebody can tell me how to connect the extra pin (pin x) or the proper value for the resistor. I don't mind to buy an equivalent AC Adapter that let me play music while charging, so if you know some model, I would be very gratefull of any information about this.

My AC Charger data are:

AC Adaptor
Model No: SR-0518SP
Input: AC 100-240~, 50/60Hz, 0.25A
Output: DC 5V ---, 1.8A
Seorim Electronics Co Ltd
Made in Korea

Thanks in advance.
Enrique.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-31-2009, 10:36 PM

At the iaudiophile.net forum there is information in the X5 forum for making a connector for the connector on the bottom of the X5. I believe the connectors on the M5 is the same as the X5. I made up one of these myself for my X5 as the battery is dead on mine as well. This is, however not an easy solder job. I do this professionally and used a 45x microscope to solder this up. I did include connections for the line out which made the job harder. If all you want is the power input you are only talking 2 grounds and 2 +5V connections, this would be the power input connection and not the USB connections. You can try and find a replacement subpack on ebay but they are hard to find. Maybe you can find someone that can do good solder job for you. By the way, the information on the pinout is technically wrong as they are counting the pins from the wrong direction in the subpack. Its not important unless someone where to notice it and become confused by the inconsistency. Here are the links -

http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showth...+cables&page=6

http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3782